Search results

1. James Romeyn

Topping LA90 Discrete Amplifier Review

I wish I knew! IMO based on my experience with 1 stereo and 2 mono Aegir and reading Jason's book (which I enjoyed,) Jason knows his "schiit" well. Speaker specs: 4/3-ohm nominal/minimum, benign load, 93 dB/M = 96 dB/2.83V. The designer is a renown pro-sound/home audio engineer. All or...
  2. James Romeyn

Interesting. I had exactly the same reaction to the first LA90 IC version when I later compared it to a Schiit Audio Aegir (about 20W quasi-class A, cool running.) And I specifically refer to both amps not clipping but running within their respective power envelope driving a true 96 dB...
  3. James Romeyn

Schiit Tyr mono amplifier

Does the Tyr have MOSFET or bipolar outputs? Just curious.
  4. James Romeyn

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Ha! Apparently, per that shot above, blazing laser-red Satan-eyes, less so...
  5. James Romeyn

If only Danny's audio and loudspeaker ignorance was his only flaw. As I described above, his flaw is a personality defect, his malicious, his only known and virtually constant marketing philosophy: to publicly criticize the products of his perceived competition, speaking with non-existent...
  6. James Romeyn

I'm surprised a 3" full range speaker did not test well, even one designed by this subject! /sarc off Few things in audio bring as much joy as seeing one of this subject's designs burning alive at the stake screaming for mercy. Let me explain. About 25 years ago this designer "cut his teeth"...
  7. James Romeyn

E1DA Cosmos ADC

I thought phono SQ on the recording sample was exceptionally good, at least on my desktop system immediately above my video display, the best boom box I ever heard, a JVC RV-DP-100, 4cm full range + active 8cm subs.
  8. James Romeyn

With all due respect I have manufacturing experience with NXT for a product Gigatek made and won a music industry award @ NAMM. I "assumed" nothing. Everything I posted is accurate. State specifically what I assumed that is inaccurate. I have a contact @ Topping in Asia. I can't say for a...
  9. James Romeyn

Designer Bruno Putzeys said he spent a long time perfecting the fully balanced differential input of Hypex NCore NC400 and there is sum total 1 ideal/proper method to connect an unbalanced source: Unbalanced source RCA output > RCA to XLR convertor (as close as possible to the source) >...
  10. James Romeyn

It's marketed as a desktop amp. As Amir stated, use a remote DAC.
  11. James Romeyn

LA90D already has straight power amp function. A dedicated straight power amp splits 1 model sales into 2 models, needlessly resulting in some lost sales with lack of stock of the needed model and less overall profits in spite of less parts needed in the straight power amp model. They straight...
  12. James Romeyn

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

My 30-minute search, including Google, this thread, Apos and Topping sites, failed to answer this Q. What is LA90 input impedance, both stereo and bridged mode? A different but related subject: I consider a Bryston preamp > RCA IC > RCA/XLR adapter > 2 bridged LA90 (might switch to XLR IC.)...
  13. James Romeyn

Schiit Tyr mono amplifier

How the heck does Schiit make a quality 50+# amp here, with CRPS/choke reg. PS and sell it for $3200/pr? That just doesn't seem possible; it seems like the minimum price would be about double that.
  14. James Romeyn

I cannot put my finger on it, but I would take the LA90 any day over NC400 and NC500; not sure the NC252 difference. There's just something about the NC series I dislike. IMO it's something related to transient performance. Well worth the extra money IMO to get 2x LA90 mono for 96W @ 8 ohm...
  15. James Romeyn

Till I read Amir's LA90 power ratings I prior thought the absolutely lowest rated load for any bridged chip amp would be 8-ohm. Then Amir tests something like 192W @ 4-ohm bridged! Does this not mean LA90 chip amp meets a 2-ohm test in stereo mode? I would appreciate engineering comments Re...
  16. James Romeyn

I personally find absolutely nothing cheesy about the PS; I wish the cable was about a foot longer. If power in stereo is adequate, I prefer the LA90 over my Benchmark AHB2 although I had already sold the AHB2 before the LA90 arrived. Strangely and surprisingly LA90 (to me) sounds more like a...
  17. James Romeyn

That is a great point. LA90 is a Class AB amp based on a chip/IC with bipolar output section. But when "push comes to shove" as my Italian-American friend in San Francisco used to say, it may well distort more like a Class D amp. Is it appropriate to think of an output/power chip as a...
  18. James Romeyn

On the subject of how much power is enough I suggest the following, presuming the magnitude of power is suspect, in the gray zone, not on the extreme ends of the curve. Each person can and may have a unique answer to this Q. There are simply too many variables for anyone to answer accurately...
  19. James Romeyn

I'm happy to share this info I just discovered in the last 2 days. LA90 rear panel has a "Bypass" mini slide switch which bypasses the volume control like a so-called "HT Bypass" or if you're older (cough, cough) the proverbial "Main Amp" input. (Some recall integrated amps with two vertical...
  20. James Romeyn

Sonic Frontiers SFS-80 Review (Vintage Tube Amplifier)

Great review! Thank you! Can the SF amp be tested to get the maximum output @ 1% THD? Did anyone else see the crazy specs John Atkinson got for the new Western Electric 91E integrated 300B? WE rates the amp for 20W @ about 10% THD. Instead Atkinson tested about 1.75W @ some insanely high...
Top Bottom