Search results

1. S

Hypex nCore vs Class A amps

How about Technics vintage "New Class A" and Denons Optical Class A from same era? Two different systems running class A at lower power levels and seamlessly switching to AB at higher levels. Would be interesting to see the curves for those vintage class A-patent amplifiers. Has anyone done...
  2. S

Yes. Nice when the the analog parts comply with the good digital systems. It was for a quite long time when FM broadcasts was the best audio source in a home, so CDs really made the difference when arrived. Especially Philips CD104 etc, but that is another story :) Yes btw Denon state for their...
  3. S

Really? Maybe I don't get close enough to the VLD13 driver because of the depth of the horn itself? Anyway I can hear most amps hissing very distinctly in the VLD13, but not the mentioned Technics and Denon amps. Especially tube amps are noisy, but of course not in a normal distance from the...
  4. S

Yes but not so much heat like a pure class A, but a lot more than an SM-amp. But it is a good bargain we can get, if we are buying the right type of a vintage amplifier, Like these Technics Class AA or probably Denons Optical Class A amps. The latter should be about same low distortion at lower...
  5. S

Can you compare that so? Maybe we should consider if the residual noise voltage is measured A-weighted or not? Is it really an issue? Anyway, despite I am driving quite sensitive speakers (96 dB /1,2W) I can't hear any noise at all, even when I put my ear close to the treble/mid/bass elements...
  6. S

Anyone compared class D with Class AA from Technics? Nice to see that todays class D-amplifiers finally have reached the same level as like this one from the early 90s. I had it from 1990 and are still using it. Even still using the built in DAC, made up of 4 pieces Burr Brown PCM56P plus 2...
  7. S

Hello! Yes but dont have to be so strange. Don't mix up: 1)Linear phase (phase shift increasing linearly with frequency), 2)Constant group delay, and 3)Time delay! All three are actually exactly the same thing. The problem is distorted group delay, not linear phase = Not all frequencies arriving...
  8. S

Is 123 dB in 90s Denons Optical Class A series comparible? POA-6600A monoblock: Power output: 260W into 8Ω (mono) Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Total harmonic distortion: 0.002% Input sensitivity: 1V Signal to noise ratio: 123dB Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω Dimensions: 310 x 207 x...
  9. S

Amir's TODO thread

Here is a good page too search for vintage HIFI: https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=technics+se-m100 Cheers! /Per
  10. S

Amir's TODO thread

Technics SE-M100 Power amplifier with built in DAC Hello Amirm. How about testing vintage amplifiers? :) I have been using Technics SE-M100 since around 1990. I feel it is still very good compared to what we can get today. The "Class AA amplifier specifications (from the service manual...
  11. S

Do loudspeakers need to image precisely?

As I told I have 2 rooms with HIFI-equipment. One with normal "box" speakers, TV-set, blue ray player, sub bass etc. This comfy living room has a lot of fabrics (furnitures curtains, carpets etc) so it is resonable damped and it also have an acoustic absorbing ceiling which looks like normal...
  12. S

Ok ... It sounds great what you say .. But I like to be more hands-on and not just talk, What practical tests have you done to verify these speculations? What equipment? What have you done? Can you tell us anything about the tests you did and the conclusions of the practical tests? Cheers! /Per
  13. S

We have an expression in Sweden, translated to English:" You cannot eat the cake and still have it".... but we can always wish of course... but you must choose, and you will have to choose perfect reproduced audio or the compromise. Thats why I have two rooms. One listening room for perfect...
  14. S

Why not be more specific and not be too general and discuss the actual situation for a normal human being who's normal experienced brain is using the reflections to tell us where in the sound is originating from, and how that implies with the sound image and can be compared to a echo free room...
  15. S

YES! I 100% agree. The thing is to find the "sweet spot" in the room. Try to move more far or closer to the speakers (still in centre between them of course), and turn the (hopefully narrow) speakers toward you in every position and probably you will find a point with the best sounding/flattest...
  16. S

As I wrote here in the thread before, the reflections from the walls makes our brain calculating where the speaker is standing. You can hear exactly where it is when not looking. Compared to directional speakers (or damped room) where de reflections are much less and you cannot hear where the...
  17. S

That is just a picture I took during constructing the front covers. You see the wood frame there also, checking that it fits before painting it black, and I just laid a piece of the black speaker fabric there to try to see how it will look like, and discovering at that moment I has to paint the...
  18. S

Hi. I am using Swedish built speakers from the 80s. Brand: Audiotronic, Model: CM3, 4 pcs. They are each 1 meter high and I put one upside down on top of one so we have little more of 2m high speaker. The speakers are 2 ways transmission line with two KEF B200 and one Gamma ribbon VLD13 in each...
  19. S

I just must say that comparing my wide radiation angle speakers in our TV room, to my narrow highly directive vintage speakers in my HIFI-room, makes a distinct difference in the stereo image. In the TV room you hear directly where the speakers ar standing and that the audio is coming from...
  20. S

For best audio, I believe loudspeakers with higher directivity is better. We get less reflections from the room walls, and hence we will not hear where the loudspeakers are standing. Using more omni directional speakers, the reflections makes our brain calculating where in the room the sound is...
Top Bottom