Search results

1. M

Mofi StudioPhono Stage Review

I shared my unit's measured performance in 2020. I got pretty much the same results. I got a Duo and the Mofi has been in the closet since. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/mofi-studiophono-phono-preamp-homebrew-measurements.18676/
  2. M

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

The vinyl playback probably doesn't have flat frequency response, and you prefer that response over neutral, which the digital is.
  3. M

New Emotiva DAC, how will it test?

Not a fan of this company anymore, but the feature set is good and price seems decent given the analog inputs. Unfortunately it is incredibly ugly. Emotiva really needs to ditch the blue thing. You can't read it with such low contrast.
  4. M

SMSL DO200 MKII DAC Review

Exactly, a resampling algorithm can get as accurate as the developer wishes. With 24 bit masters, resampling accuracy error can easily get below 16-bit resolution, meaning perfect playback once dither is applied and stream is truncated to 16 bits.
  5. M

EverSolo Z8 DAC & Amp Review

I'm thinking a spectrum view. We'll see when the next firmware version drops.
  6. M

What cables do you use in your systems?

Yep, the internal cabling resistance is moot compared to the series inductor in the woofer circuit. A good engineer takes the circuit resistance into account anyway when designing the system box damping/frequency response with the crossover. For mid/tweeter circuits, the issue isn't damping...
  7. M

EverSolo Z8 DAC & Amp Review

Got this today from Amazon. Man this thing is nice. Build quality is top notch and sounds great, as you'd expect. They actually listened and now have a large volume display option. Super cool DAC.
  8. M

Quantization Noise 101: Where does SNR about 6N dB come from?

For an intuitive description... Each bit of resolution adds ~6.02 dB SNR. 6.02 dB is 20*log10(2). 20*log10 is how signal magnitude is defined in dB. Each bit of added resolution doubles the possible quantization levels. Thus, on average, the quantization error is halved for each bit added.
  9. M

AUDIOPHILES: Are We Buying "THINGS" or "EXPERIENCES?"

Absolutely I buy gear for visual and physical appeal as well as auditory. My three Bryston amps surely aren't the most economical for good sound, and I'm not even going to try to say they're better audio wise. I do greatly enjoy their build quality, the company itself which goes out of its way...
  10. M

Help explain intersample overs, please?

https://we.tl/t-YH7PehRzZL?src=dnl
  11. M

I made three files, Fs/4, Fs/8, and Fs/16 fullscale at the correct phase. Fs/4 is 3 dB overloaded
  12. M

I think all of us agree that this is a failure of recording industry/hardware manufacturers. It's crazy that this even exists. It's such a simple phenomenon.
  13. M

You just convert the 16 bit stream to 24 bit, then shift one bit right (down). You get 6 dB headroom and lose nothing because modern DAC chips have SINAD way over 100 dB. With that said, the DAC chip manufacturers should be the ones ensuring the headroom.
  14. M

Exactly, this is part of a robust design that handles all reasonable inputs. Yes, the digital source engineers could do it, but they don't, so any competent DAC should account for it. The worst case is 44.1KHz so just give it 6 dB headroom. There's massive SINAD margin in modern DACs anyway...
  15. M

I've tested 3 DACs for this, a Benchmark DAC1, Topping DX3Pro, and SMSL M500V1. All fail at full volume output. Luckily the latter two can be easily fixed by simply lowering the volume. The DAC1 has fixed level into the DAC chip so cannot be fixed unless you lower the input digital signal...
  16. M

Balanced Input to Adcom GFP-750

It's unclear how the last measurement was done, the amplitude sweep. It doesn't say if it was the input voltage being raised with the volume fixed, or the input voltage fixed at 1V and the volume raised. I assume it was input voltage raised, but it doesn't say what the volume was set to...
  17. M

Yes you can. Be aware though, the input impedence in passive mode is only 2K Ohm so your source needs a good output stage to drive it cleanly. Also, there's no balance control in passive if that matters to you.
  18. M

I have this preamp and have measured this. It's super clean up to about 1Vrms input, then it hits compression and harmonics start rising fast. I have the output voltage on my Benchmark Dac turned down to 1Vrms at full scale input. Works great in this configuration.
  19. M

DAC Advice Needed

Also, the node has digital tone controls. Use them. They work well. I've analyzed their affect using a spectrum analyzer and they are implemented well. I saw zero affect on noise or distortion. Yes they crop level by 1 bit, but they dither the result so the effect is moot.
Top Bottom