Search results

1. truckers_atlas

An informal listening test proposition based on Sean Olive’s 2024 NYC CanJam presentation

I still can't quite put my finger as to why I rated Harman Beta 2024 as generally a step behind the top-tier targets (Headphones.com, LMG.) I consistently wished for a treble tone control on the SoundGuys target to turn down the treble. Cymbals, hi-hats, and handclaps felt too prominent and...
  2. truckers_atlas

Great "live performance" recordings? (any genre)

Stop Making Sense by the Talking Heads: The Long Goodbye by LCD Soundsystem:
  3. truckers_atlas

An informal listening test proposition based on Sean Olive’s 2024 NYC CanJam presentation

At risk of looking like more of an idiot than I usually am, here are my results from the test:
  4. truckers_atlas

Best headphones in the $500-$800ish range?

If you're willing and or able to EQ, the Edition XS from Hifiman's refurb store for $279 is where I'd go. Hifiman offers the same 1-year warranty on their refurbs as their new products, and I've heard good things about their customer support in case something breaks. Don't forget to play around...
  5. truckers_atlas

The Florida International Audio Expo 2024

I drove down to Tampa again for this year's show. I spent about half my time in the headphone rooms, and the other half in the stereo rooms. Here's my show report and highlights from the stereo rooms I visited: Perlisten had two rooms at the show: a traditional two-channel room, and a home...
  6. truckers_atlas

The Florida International Audio Expo 2024

While I can't say I'm a huge fan of the British band Wet Leg, I had never been so thrilled to hear Wet Leg than when I saw their LP in the Pro-Ject room last year. For those going, you can park for free in the mall parking lot that's across the street since the hotel's garage will likely be...
  7. truckers_atlas

New Sennheiser HD490 Pro

Listener reverse-engineered the Sennheiser measurement to find that it was calibrated against a flat diffuse field target for a 5128. Here's what the Sennheiser measurement looks like for both pads with that calibration removed: And the 490 Pro compared to other headphones (Sennheiser...
  8. truckers_atlas

Shure SE535 Upgrade under $300?

The rise of Chinese manufacturers over the past half-decade has really invigorated the IEM space. Today $50 (Truthear Zero Red) can get you something that'll blow away the finicky, unreliable junk that Head-Fi loved about a decade ago. That being said, if you're only going to use these with...
  9. truckers_atlas

Thoughts on Downsizing and Convenience

I had to downsize similarly from a 2.0 system with tower speakers in my living room recently due to a living room redesign. I bought both the Polk MagniFi Mini AX, which was recommended by Brent Butterworth in The Wirecutter, and a pair of HomePods 2. Both systems were physically compact, and...
  10. truckers_atlas

Show us your Cars

A large reason I bought a turbo 3 2 years ago was that Bose system. It was a lot better than what any other mainstream automaker will sell you at this price range. For example, the now last-gen Accord had a nice interior, but the good stereo was the one thing Honda saved for the Acura TLX. IIRC...
  11. truckers_atlas

What dB level can you be exposed to in a Nightclub and how dangerous is it for your hearing?

I dipped into the food court at a local mall recently. The next thing I was shocked at after how little food I got for the money was how loud the food court was. My Apple Watch confirmed my feelings. The music was being played at an average of 75 dB with peaks at 80 dB. I typically run my...
  12. truckers_atlas

Looking for desktop computer "audiophile" speakers

Kali IN-UNF are excellent if like me, you don't even have the space for traditional studio monitors. I have a pair on my desk right now and they're very impressive. The IN-UNF has mostly cured me of whatever desire I had to look into high-end open-back headphones, like the Hifiman Arya. There's...
  13. truckers_atlas

Hifiman Edition XS

How well does the Edition XS breathe? I'm thinking about upgrading from Sundara purely for comfort reasons. While I've seen people talk about the bigger earcups and cup swivel, I haven't seen many people talk about how breathable the Edition XS is. When I wear the Sundara it feels like a...
  14. truckers_atlas

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

You're not alone here in being disappointed with the Stealth. When I demoed the Stealth, it just sounded off. The Stealth had zero impact despite the Stealth having the Harman bass shelf built in. I much preferred the Aeon 2 Closed with perforated pads, which is essentially an Aeon 2 Noire in...
  15. truckers_atlas

Apple HomePod (2nd Gen) (2023)

I bought a pair of HomePod 2s to use as TV speakers, and I ended up returning them. I thought the HomePod 2s would make a compelling alternative to soundbars, which I've never loved for music playback, and the new crop of powered bookshelf speakers, which in this price range are just all various...
  16. truckers_atlas

Florida International Audio Expo 2023

Here's a review of a Geshelli DAC and the manufacturer are willing to say hi here in the thread. I think the performance is more than sufficient, and the manufacturing and build are a compelling USP over yet another DAC or amplifier that has nothing else to offer other than a high SINAD number...
  17. truckers_atlas

Florida International Audio Expo 2023

I saw Erin from Erin's Audio Corner, who was great to talk with, and he did talk about the Magnepan + LCH room. If I recall correctly, Erin thought the Magnepan + LCH room sounded nice but he wasn't satisfied when he questioned them further about their subwoofer claims. I'll second your note...
  18. truckers_atlas

Sennheiser HD 660S2

@Resolve posted measurements from the headphones.com 5128 rig along with some brief written impressions: Compared to an HD600 with fresh pads: As someone looking to consolidate their over-ear headphone collection, I was hoping for a super HD560S, not a darker HD650/HD6XX.
  19. truckers_atlas

JDS Labs Element III Review (DAC & Amp)

I picked up my Element III last August after realizing my DAC/amp setup at my desk was very frustrating. I wanted to go with JDS Labs over its competitors for JDS's excellent post-sales support and reliability track record, and I like to support US manufacturing whenever I can. The Element III's...
  20. truckers_atlas

Truthear HOLA

I picked up the Hola since I liked what I heard from the Truthear Zero before I gifted it to a friend, and I was very annoyed about the Moondrop Chu requiring those clunky earhooks for the cable to stay wrapped around my ears. I figured the Hola's increased bass would be better for my beater...
Top Bottom