Search results

1. ozlegend

Stereonet Australia (Melbourne) Audio Show 2023

Yes Keith the system at the show was Alan's personal one but no the speakers were definitely not "DIY" as can be readily seen by comparing your photo of Kim 's demo with the one of the ISRs that I posted. It was decided not to emphasise the origin of the speakers for a number of reasons. One was...
  2. ozlegend

I forgot to mention that the speakers DEQX were using for their Melbourne show demo were actually Legend's Isobaric Small Reds (ISRs) http://www.legendspeakers.com.au/products-small-reds/
  3. ozlegend

Some semi-random thoughts from someone who has been using DEQX commercially for nearly 20 years in designing active speakers http://www.legendspeakers.com.au/ultimate_active/ I first became intersted in speaker DSP when working for Linn in Glasgow in the late 1980s designing their new range of...
  4. ozlegend

Linn releases new highend loudspeaker, klimax 360

Sorry no it was well after my time there but perhaps Ivor was worried about his reputation :rolleyes:
  5. ozlegend

Yes the Keltik was a somewhat controversial speaker at least partly because it required good understanding and setting up to achieve its best results. As one person said it was too far ahead of its time. I have heard recently that some people have been upgrading it to the "Killer Keltik" with...
  6. ozlegend

Rounded edges are always better but they have to be quite large (much more than the normal 10 or so mm radius) to have much effect. Essentially waves only see/are affected by objects larger than about a fifth of their wavelength (a very rough rule of thumb),
  7. ozlegend

Yes 4-way digital active is the way to go. I did it over 10 years ago with Legend's Tikandi Grande loudspeaker that has many similarities with the Linn 360 though I used a triangular front baffle rather than large radii to minimise edge effects...
  8. ozlegend

Few people realize that the 10 mm radius that many assume significantly improves baffle edge diffraction is only effective for frequencies above about 6 kHz. Jim Theil of Theil Audio was one of the first manufacturers long ago to put radii of up to 100mm that lowers this frequency to around 600...
  9. ozlegend

Nearly but not quite true. For a while some of their lower priced products had an "x" rather than a "k" in their name eg Index, Nexus and Helix, all loudspeakers. I remember that it sometimes took almost as long to think of a suitable name as did to design a product :oops:
  10. ozlegend

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

These are also my impressions of their sound quality- and my experience of not wanting to stop listening!
  11. ozlegend

So this electromechanical modulation would cause vibration/movement of the tweeter voice coil and membrane at around 500 kHz (or whatever the sampling frequency of the class D amp is)? What effect would this have on say a 10 kHz test tone if I tried to measure it?
  12. ozlegend

I have NC502MP and NCx500 amps plus various speaker measuring equipment and a range of different tweeters (from soft dome to beryllium) so can try to measure something at the TWEETER output - but I am not clear what that measurement would be?? If it involves say a 10 kHz test tone interacting...
  13. ozlegend

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Unfortunately I don't have an Apple USB charger nor a portable battery pack. I understand that LPS can generate RFI which is why in my DIY circuit shown I have taken what steps I can to reduce it - ferrite chokes/inductors on the inputs and outputs and capacitors across the switching diodes...
  14. ozlegend

I use the balanced outputs from the E50 into the balanced inputs of the new NCx500 amplifier modules (that have extraordinary resolving power). The differences I hear between the SMPS and LPS are small and probably only important to someone obsessed by wringing the last drops of fidelity out of...
  15. ozlegend

I bought a Topping E50 in this New Year sales after reading a review by a recording engineer whose views I tend to trust and then armirn’s excellent measurements on this forum. I would like to describe my subjective findings under 2 main areas: 1. how it compared to my previous Chord Qutest DAC...
  16. ozlegend

Thanks for your kind words, I did not find the adverse comments upsetting but rather irrelevant and this was what I was arguing against as logically and politely as I could. They were irrelevant because the build prettiness had very little impact on the sound quality. I am sorry if people were...
  17. ozlegend

OK it is a reason I rarely contribute to forums these days and probably won't be again here - the abuse is too tedious. But please make sure in future you are even handed in your deletions and don't give special treatment to Grand Contributors and Forum Donors.
  18. ozlegend

Thanks! It seemed a long and complex way to find out something so basic - and yes v1.07 was already installed!
  19. ozlegend

I have just received my e50 and presume it has the latest v1.07 firmware installed but have been unable to check this. There seems no method mentioned in the user manual (it normally comes at the end of the setup menu) and my Windows 10 Device Manager only gives Microsoft driver details. Am I...
  20. ozlegend

A bit about your host....

Having just joined the forum it was great to read such a comprehensive (even exhausting!) CV of its founder and owner - extremely impressive and reassuring. If you are ever desperate to talk about patents I was briefly a Patent Examiner at IP Australia (most boring job I ever had) but...
Top Bottom