Search results

1. D

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

It remains interesting that all of these detailed analyses of directivity mismatching and everything else problematic overlook first principles' principle 1: Does the design encourage staggered distances of the driver covering the lower midrange (say, from a half-octave middle C to an octave...
  2. D

dbx 1231 Graphic EQ Review

>> My memories of consumer units was that they were hiss factories. This is ignorant unless referring to the dbx 20/20, the company's first automatic equalizer, whose noisefloor was in the -80s and therefore potentially audible in use depending on the usual factors of gain stages, component...
  3. D

Share your in-room measurements?

See p16 here: https://ethanwiner.com/aes/david_moran.pdf (temporally and spatially averaged, unlike many)
  4. D

Clipping 101

this from 43y ago may be of interest, simplified compared w the above, but the same point, on p65 f2, and the pertinent text https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-HiFI-Stereo/80s/HiFi-Stereo-Review-1980-08.pdf
  5. D

omnidirectional loudspeakers = best design available

People, It might be helpful to go back to first principles at least for 2ch stereo playback -- ? **All** speakers are omni to some extent and with some near uniformity up to some fairly high frequency (as in above middle C). Forward-facing designs (*NOT* 'forward-firing'; they fire in all...
  6. D

Headphones and the Harman target curve

Har and yes. A long time ago I quickly tired of the thin (hotly imbalanced) sound of my nifty new 'flat w a 4k peak' Etymotic in-ear phones, and so I turned up my broad bass tone control and turned down my broad treble tone control --- and ... eureka.
  7. D

How important in phase control on a subwoofer?

donor AND a major contributor! woohoo stay classy, dude
  8. D

omg, I have never seen that before ! half-photoshopped, numbskull (btw)
  9. D

>> does not have any phase control, only 0/180 polarity gosh, I wonder why that is !? I am kind of surprised at how uninformed this discussion is, except for a few posts
  10. D

I have not had the energy to wade through the back comments here, but following are some high-level comments to help a general understanding of the subject. - all speakers are omni --- if you take a horn outside and measure it from the back, or a planar and measure from the side, there is not...
  11. D

ah; sorry. Well, give them a noise measure and check it out ! You probably read all this already: https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/altec-511b-horn-can-it-be-tamed.5494/
  12. D

Har. Don't know what that is ... Piega? Given the myriad vagaries of miking and venue, I don't know how anyone can say a speaker is not accurate except in terms of in-use FR (tonal balance), which is easily checked with pink noise and a smartphone rta app (the built-in smartphone mikes are...
  13. D

Many do not enjoy equi-omni radpat (I among them) for a range of reasons, imprecision and similar, but the thing w Fs was that no two were close to the same. I did a crude room measurement of a pair 40y ago, not from far away, and was very surprised at how rough the FR was and even more at how...
  14. D

I think the thing for many planar listeners is the float, typically in the space behind the speakers, depending on front wall hardness. I find it a little disorienting w planars, but many do not. I was first exposed to KLH 9s in 1970, a double-pair in a stereo store where I was working. Yeah...
  15. D

Will look back but don't recall your addressing. Can you point? (Sorry.) The measurements in the paper are actual, meaning achieved, measured on a turntable, and no labels are omitted in the AESJ paper. Can you explain what you're talking about here? There is bundling, sure. See fig 8 and 11a-h...
  16. D

>> you are somewhat over-invested in it, 40-odd years now, so.... The matter with me ?? It is not I who cannot have a civil and technical discussion, dude. I came with information. What did I get from you? I mean, read upward, k?
  17. D

it is a condition where you answer the wrong person! among other things my apologies to you, Alice
  18. D

head in a vase is another, different audiophile condition
  19. D

Sorry not to be clearer: I have a dbx Soundfield 2500, near mint, for sale cheap, outside Boston (needs sub if program is under, you know, 50Hz) hor radpat is shown as polar in fig 15 of the AESJ pdf already posted previously, and also as l-r fr graphs in figs 9a-d here...
  20. D

is this like not knowing how to spell vise?
Top Bottom