Search results

1. jsilvela

David Lynch's Dune 1984 - that beautiful glorious diasaster

After renting out Dune Part 2, I think the 1984 Dune by Lynch should get a lot more respect, maybe even a revival for a new generation of filmgoers. In fact I hope Lynch sees the Villeneuve Dune and starts looking at his own with kinder eyes as a result. Dune 2 has a lot of ingenuity behind it...
  2. jsilvela

Music recordings with a center channel?

Thanks, I'll get those BR's for The Beatles and Peter Gabriel. It's mostly an experiment.
  3. jsilvela

Music recordings with a center channel?

After spiffing up my audio setup thanks to ASR and getting a center channel for movies, I was wondering if there are music recordings made with a center channel. I can see there are concert DVDs/Blu-Rays, and some of them indicate Dolby 5.1 or some other multi-channel format. But I'm thinking...
  4. jsilvela

Worst movie ever?

Oh, no, wait, Joe Wright, the director of Pride and Prejuduce (2005) decided to adapt Anna Karenina in 2012. This adaptation was criminal. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1781769/?ref_=nm_flmg_c_10_dr
  5. jsilvela

Worst movie ever?

For butchering Jane Austen, I nominate the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. There's a far better version from 1940 with Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson. Taking the very strong source material and somehow messing Austen's narrative thread... unforgivable...
  6. jsilvela

Refreshing movies worth watching

I wanted to like this one. Generally a fan of Greta Gerwig. I find that it stays too conceptual and schematic to really work. YMMV of course, still a good movie, not as good as Little Women of Ladybird. Gerwig is one of the very best actresses of her generation. Dropping this video she was in...
  7. jsilvela

Worst movie ever?

I really like If ... with its chaos and Missa Luba on loop, and that ending on the roof... There are good things about Clockwork Orange, not denying that. I mean, Kubrick was insanely gifted. Still, I found the hype / quality ratio high.
  8. jsilvela

A positive vote for Safety not Guaranteed. Very decent. Aubrey Plaza is also in Damsels in Distress, which I really like. Massive disclaimer on this one, though: I would not blame people for thinking it was really bad. The sense of humor is very specific. The director is Whit Stillman, if that...
  9. jsilvela

I also did not manage to like Tár (but I do like Todd Field's previous movies, especially In the Bedroom). There's another recent Cate Blanchett vehicle where she gets to be angular and crabby and you're still rooting for her. I recommend it: Where'd You Go, Bernadette...
  10. jsilvela

Nacho Libre. Not for everyone, but certainly refreshing. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457510/
  11. jsilvela

Yes! The books are weird. The religious undertones are in the Lynch version, but lost in the Villeneuve version. And unforgivably, little use is made of the messianic mumbo jumbo, Muad'dib, "the one", etc. I was waiting and hoping to hear: > Fear is the mind killer Well, that's not such an...
  12. jsilvela

Another fan vote for Dune 1984. Yes it's a somewhat "failed" movie, it has uneven pacing, it's at parts obscure. But there is so much wonder and weirdness in it, far more than most "perfect" movies. Speaking of Blade Runner 1982, I don't get how the consensus is that *that* one is a classic...
  13. jsilvela

Movie directors with a sonic signature

Ang Lee is another director that rewards your ears. Already in early films like Eat Drink, Man, Woman. The Ice Storm has a hypnotic sound, reminds me a bit of Atom Egoyan movies. This clip from The Ice Storm is very AS(M)R:
  14. jsilvela

Any Korean/Asian movies/series fans?

Amazing movie, really does leave one speechless.
  15. jsilvela

Oh, series: ... I love Crayon Shin-chan https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245612/ The Spanish dub is better than the English dub IMO. Would love to understand Japanese. This show makes me laugh, well into my forties, more than The Simpsons.
  16. jsilvela

I consume a lot of non-Hollywood movies. There are excellent Asian directors working these days. Aside from the likes of Park Chan-wook and Zhang Yimou, already mentioned, Ryusuke Hamaguchi is one of the best directors today. I highly recommend "Happy Hour" as well as the Oscar-winning "Drive...
  17. jsilvela

Movie directors with a sonic signature

Finally saw Unrueh. Pretty interesting. Very naturalistic. All those lovely old machines; reminded me a bit of Days of Heaven in that sense.
  18. jsilvela

About buying 2nd subwoofer, Should they match?

Your option #3 with the monster sub is to get rid of your current sub and have only one, if I understand right? There's quite a bit of consensus that having 2 is better than 1, as judicious placement can help dampen room modes. Another issue where there seems to be agreement is not mixing closed...
  19. jsilvela

Artists You Have Discovered Lately

Just discovered them. And here they're doing a cover of Aphex Twin's Flim. Good stuff."
  20. jsilvela

Home cinema left, right and center for ~1000EUR?

Nice, good for you! I'm sure they Q150's will do great. A spare speaker can come in handy. E.g. for a while I had an old Yamaha bookshelf speaker for desktop audio (IMO mono > stereo for zoom calls and yt talks).
Top Bottom