Search results

1. Stephen H

Akai GX-620 Reel to Reel Tape Deck Measurements

Indeed. The heads were demagnetised recently before I did the test.
  2. Stephen H

Cambridge Audio Azur 851N Review and Measurements

I forgot to put this thread inside the sub-category for network streamers. I have recreated it here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/cambridge-audio-851n-review-and-measurements.39012/ I have asked Amir to delete this post.
  3. Stephen H

Cambridge Audio Azur 851N Review and Measurements

Below you can see my Cambridge Audio Azur 851n network streamer. I purchased it for £1199 back in 2018 from Richer Sounds (UK). It is a heavy/chunky beast with a satisfying, well-made feel to it. Features/Useability The feature list for the 851n is extensive. You can use it as a USB DAC, or...
  4. Stephen H

Thank you for clarifying. All makes sense. I will update to the latest version.
  5. Stephen H

As powerful as REW is, I prefer using your software. For clarity, using the dBr option should give accurate TD/TD+N results, correct? Also, I take it the notch setting is not necessary when measuring devices such as DACs etc.? Please forgive my ignorance, this is not my area of expertise...
  6. Stephen H

My dad said something very similar. Some people would like it for room EQ curve..
  7. Stephen H

FYI, I quickly tried the frequency response test again. The result is virtually identical no matter what level I record at. I am quite certain a full calibration could flatten it out a bit. If I ever get round to this I will be sure to put up some post-calibration results. However, I should...
  8. Stephen H

Awesome! Thanks for sharing :D I will have a look through the website later
  9. Stephen H

Thanks for the info! I will try and get round to running the frequency response test at -20db to see how it performs. This has been suggested by a good few people now, so it's definitely something to explore. If I do get round to it, I will be sure to update this post.
  10. Stephen H

Ahh fair enough, thanks for the knowledge tip!
  11. Stephen H

Yeah it's a shame regarding availability. I would email the owner of the website (Tomi Nihtila) if you were interested in getting your hands on one. He is a really helpful guy and may be able to say when and if he'll be making more boards. I know he has struggled due to AKM availability. Glad...
  12. Stephen H

Ah OK, thank you for the suggestion. I may try this some point soon and post an update!
  13. Stephen H

Maybe sometime in the future I'll mess around with the deck and try and improve head-alignment/calibration etc. For now, I am happy enough with it
  14. Stephen H

Sorry deleted my previous reply by accident. You should definitely have a go at measuring it if you get time! I am highly jealous of the each-way play feature :D
  15. Stephen H

Thanks for the tip! I will keep that in mind.
  16. Stephen H

I did try both tape types. Made more or less no difference to measurements!
  17. Stephen H

Beautiful machine! I love the digital counter on the 625! Interesting to know that you also find it to has a warm sounding low end. I can see how this could be appealing to a lot of people. Definitely have to replace the transistors, they cause all sorts of horrible noise and distortion. You...
  18. Stephen H

No probs :) Tape speed = 7.5ips. Recording level set at 0db (deck runs at 250nWb/m reference fluxivity). Indeed a lot of variables here! Far too many for me to investigate. The deck could certainly be tweaked and further calibrated to improve performance. However, it's good enough for me!
Top Bottom