Search results

1. S

Parks Audio Puffin Review (Phono Stage)

1:10 or 1:20. I adjust for the minimum amount of noise. I find that the best setting for my taste is to keep the gain in the phono section (either straight into the Puffin or into the SUT plus Puffin) low, and cranking up the Benchmark preamp to get the desired output. When I set it up this way...
  2. S

Yes, you can use a SUT with the Waxwing, no problem at all. Just adjust the gain to an appropriate level. In my case that is 30dB, but might need to be higher or lower with your system and the SUT you use. FYI I haven't bought any vinyl, new or used, in years. I have enough not-yet-played LPs to...
  3. S

I have a Puffin but the audio circuit is the same as the Waxwing. The Puffin works great with MM, MC, and IM cartridges. Gain is continuously variable and there's plenty of it. It is dead quiet. There are only two choices for the load, either 47K or 200 ohms. The built in tone control gives you...
  4. S

Integrated or Separate AMP/DAC for newbies?

When I was getting started I went for integrated amps, and they have gotten so good that, if I had to start my system over today, I would go integrated instead of separates. In fact I have considered buying an NAD C 3050 just because it is so cool!
  5. S

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

I voted yes, but. Not due to any dissatisfaction with my current system, which I love. Picture me putting on a crash helmet now, since I'm about to admit that I mostly listen to vinyl. The thing about turntables is that they are a mechanical system. So, just like different tires or shocks can...
  6. S

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

I have friends coming in from Colorado for it. I'm in Indianapolis. Total eclipse at 3:06 PM EDT.
  7. S

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Sharing as an FYI. I'm not associated with Schiit in any way other than as a happy customer. I have a Heretic and just love it! https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-plus
  8. S

Attic listening room project - advice welcome

I'd suggest starting off by using the room simulator in REW to model where to best place your speakers for the best bass response. That 100 - 200 hertz dip has a big effect on perceived bass response. I'd work to get that up. Close to the walls might not be best, especially with your seat being...
  9. S

Are you more in love with hobby or with music - Question.

If by Hobby you mean both music and the gear, then Hobby describes me very well. You can love music without fancy gear, but the Hobby is about both. I enjoy hearing other systems even if the music being played or the sound of the system is not to my taste. That's one of the funny things about...
  10. S

Why do you think a few members have an 'alcoholic anonymous' vibe towards the audiophile community? It seems a harmless hobby as far as things go?

When I was married my wife was very tolerant about my addiction/hobby. When friends asked me why I always said "well, she always knows where to find me!"
  11. S

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

Are you positive you weren't in Indiana? :)
  12. S

Does you love of gear exceed your love of music?

Mostly the music, but some days I do enjoy playing with my system! That does still involve music, but sometimes there are also test tones and pink noise.
  13. S

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

Indianapolis, Indiana.
  14. S

Does the cable matter for spdif coax?

I bought a Monoprice 102681 3-Feet RG6 RCA CL2 Rated Digital Coaxial Audio Cable a few years ago from Amazon. Not free but inexpensive ($7.98 today) and well made. Not at all heavy...even when playing Metallica! :)
  15. S

“The Sensible Sound” magazine the ASR forum of pre-internet days?

And don't forget "uphill both ways"! :)
  16. S

“The Sensible Sound” magazine the ASR forum of pre-internet days?

I have vague memories of Sensible Sound, but there used to be so many audio magazines that it was hard to keep up with them all! I should add that I am an old geezer! Not sure when I read my first audio magazine. Probably after I started high school in 1971. No middle school where I grew up...
  17. S

Poll: Speakers closer to which wall(s)?

Closer to the side walls, but not by a lot. It's a rectangular, completely rectangular room, with the speakers facing the long way down the room.
  18. S

What does toe-in mean?

In my opinion, toe-in refers to any position where the speakers are angled toward the seating position. Any position not pointed directly at the listening position is off-axis. There may be perfectly good reasons for the speakers to be aligned for off-axis listening (i.e. aimed to cross in front...
  19. S

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

I've owned my AHB2, DAC3 B, and HPA4 for quite a while now, and could not be happier. I'm lucky that I could afford this level of equipment. If at some point I have to move into someplace where I can't have speakers I expect to move to headphones via the HPA4 and still be a happy Benchmark owner...
Top Bottom