Search results

1. S

New Towers-BMR Philharmonic, Revel F208, or other?

I believe the idea that certain speakers are suited to certain types of music is a myth, although I used to think otherwise. ' There's an old study from the 60s that split speakers of the day into two camps. It claimed one type of bass roll off was more suited to pop, and the other orchestral...
  2. S

Do you think the $16,000 S7t would outperform the $5500 Revel F208 in blind testing? I wouldn't bet on it. We're talking two speakers with basically idential F10 and listener preference scores. Additionally, the 1W/1m spl (not 2.83V) is essentially the same and the swept volume of the woofers is...
  3. S

Lol "big hog." S7t is a nice speaker, but the value is highly questionable. Pierre's database has the Audioholics measurements of the S7t complete with groundplane measurement spliced on. Their data shows the S7t is -10.5 dB at 30Hz, relative to 100Hz. The mfgr data shows -7.6dB. If we assume...
  4. S

I believe you. It's not like they're right next to each other. I do wonder why the discrepancy between your data and Audioholics? Also, it probably (?) doesn't matter what the shape of the bass is. Toole says we should only care about F10 (as someone else mentioned above), and doesn't have any...
  5. S

Here's a quote from Jack Hidley, former director of engineering at NHT: "An example of this is measuring a 10" woofer and a 3" port. When you measure either the port or the woofer, there is far too much crosstalk in the measurement from the other radiator. To minimize the crosstalk to a low...
  6. S

Speaker Dispersion - Wider? Narrower? - Your Personal Preference?

Erin of Erin's audio corner asked this of Floyd Toole and he said "I don't know."
  7. S

Thanks Dennis. Your presence is making me feel bad for dragging your speaker through the mud a bit! I assume when you say "Using the measurement tools available to me" you mean nearfield bass measurement? Perhaps the port is close enough to the woofer to create enough crosstalk to account for...
  8. S

How is that? F208 is flat, while the BMR is sagging. I suspect the box volume on the BMR is too large and that is why it looks like that. Having too large a box can also mean poor power handling.
  9. S

I overlaid the bass from Amir's V2 measurement of the F208 onto the BMR ground plane measurement. Yes, the BMR looks to have a bit more extension, but the Revel has a bit more boom. As a guess - and it's just a guess - I would say the bass of the Revel looks better overall...
  10. S

OK, so that's a better measurement. The other issue is where is 0dB? Because there's a 5dB tilt from 40Hz to 250Hz, it's hard to guess. The -10dB point is normally in context of the broadband sensitivity, which we don't have. We could assume it's 97dB or so, in which case the -10dB point is...
  11. S

No, but unless I'm listening blind and comparing to other speakers that wouldn't be very meaningful. Again, these are sighted listening tests, so not a lot of meaning here. Look at the research on sighted tests (eg read Floyd Toole's book) and you will come to understand just how unbelievably...
  12. S

Right missed that. I would imagine my comments about the spinorama data still apply. Good speaker but there are better values for the money.
  13. S

I would skip the golden ear sub. The woofer is only 8 inches, so it would need 4x the xmax (and swept volume) of the F208 woofer to have the same output capability. Spoiler: it doesn't. The fact that the box is small means it's less efficient as well, which means the 1000w doesn't go as far as...
  14. S

Advice requested for upgrading/replacing small speakers

Oops, missed the post where you ordered Klipsch. I was thinking of was the Take classic speakers which have been around for maybe 15+ years and are laminated mdf (ie not waterproof!)
  15. S

Advice requested for upgrading/replacing small speakers

I would look at used Energy "take" series speakers. Energy is competent, they fit the size requirements and they are cheap and plentiful second hand.
  16. S

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

One nice thing about spinorama graphs is you can compare two speakers and see which has the wider listening window. All you need to do is look at the distance between the early reflection curve and the listening window curve: the farther they are apart, the narrower the listening window. By this...
  17. S

How did the 105/3 and 107/2 compare to the more modern speakers like the blade and the salons? I believe the 105/3 is the classic "problem speaker" Toole shows in his book and in presentations.
  18. S

This is Audio Science Review, where presumably the goal is to use scientific data to make better purchasing choices. In the case of Funk, there is insufficient data to make an informed purchase. CEA2034. If not that, some wide off axis measurements plus power response. E.g. Genelec provides...
Top Bottom