Search results

1. Bergante

How About Creating a Modern Cassette Player?

It doesn't make sense at all. I must confess I have been searching for a cheap "ancient" recorder but with a single purpose: showing it at a classroom so that new generations know what a pain in the ass it was to use tapes for field recording. Now you have insanely great flash memory recorders...
  2. Bergante

(re) Review of Sound Devices MixPre-3 II Multichannel Recorder Review - Advanced mode

There are several possible approaches. Zaxcom for instance, has a patented system called NeverClip based on a similar idea. They don't actually produce a 32 bit float file but the result is roughly equivalent, preamp gain is not so critical.
  3. Bergante

Apple vs Masimo, the aftermath of the lawsuit

It would be interesting if, for whatever reason, they didn't release the intended product after all. Microsoft was about to get in legal trouble in the past because of their notorious "vaporware" practices. The most blatant was the annoucement of something called "NetPC" right after the NC...
  4. Bergante

Apple vs Masimo, the aftermath of the lawsuit

That wasn't bogus. It's the kind that becomes "obvious" when someone else has done it. I remember American customs blocked the import of a lot of dark multimeters with a yellow holster because they clearly resembled Fluke units. Or look at the Saramonic wireless microphones resembling the...
  5. Bergante

(re) Review of Sound Devices MixPre-3 II Multichannel Recorder Review - Advanced mode

Audiotronix? They own several high profile pro audio manufacturers such as Digico, Allen&Heath, Calrec… Which dubious marketing do you mean? Vitec has played dirty recently, but not Audiotronix as far as I know.
  6. Bergante

That depends on the intended application. The DPA microphones have a very high maximum SPL which makes them awesome for close miking of musical instruments. But for other applications it is not that critical!
  7. Bergante

Well, it's not an actual schematic diagram. Notably they haven't drawn any converters at all. They are describing a process, not an actual circuit. Yes, and both the limiter and the HPF filter (or parts of the latter, as in this case they say it's a "hybrid" design) must be placed between the...
  8. Bergante

Examples of Sony Audio's Marketing BS

Sony is still an important player in the pro audio segment and they have excellent products. That said they have some dual personality and now and then you can read some really silly marketing blurb from them regsrding consumer products.
  9. Bergante

The main selling point of those microphones as far as I know is off axis response. That is really important for classical music recording.
  10. Bergante

Sound Devices MixPre-3 II Multichannel Recorder Review

It is not an audio interface. It is a production mixer and recorder that can also work in several other modes. And movie production sound equipment is probably the least well known pro audio gear outside of their speciality. If you use it as a recorder the basic mode is as straightforward and...
  11. Bergante

Ahh ok :) Anyway if you are curious you can try to set up headphone routing. If you touch the headphone icon (screen top left) you get a menu where you can edit headphone presets. And the routing configuration works like the line output routing, you can select pre/post fader sources. That...
  12. Bergante

Unfortunately that part of the block diagram is rather opaque. The implementation details for the 32 bit sampling are proprietary I guess and probably each manufacturer uses a different variation. Maybe there is a patent filing, I think Zaxcom has their "Neverclip" design patented. In the first...
  13. Bergante

It would be interesting to see the measurements in 24 bit mode. After all 32 bit is a hack that lets you mostly disregard the input gain. I am not surprised that some artifacts appear in this situation. But, how well does it emulate a first generation device which is more "classic" and does not...
  14. Bergante

32 Bit Float Explained

The MixPre is a class compliant multitrack USB audio device. So even an iPhone will recognize it without drivers. In order to accomodate lobotomysed(*) operating systems that in 2023 still don't support anything beyond stereo natively, MixPres can be configured in stereo only mode. Of course...
  15. Bergante

The software flexibility, hence complexity, was exactly the same in the first generation before 32 bit recording was a thing. The main change is a more powerful SoC that now allows the usage of real time noise reduction for example. They were using dual ADCs in the first generation in order to...
  16. Bergante

A nice feature, especially if you rent units. You can save a configuration preset to a SD card, which is stored as a XML file. Although the compatibility between firmware versions can be a bit complicated, the XML file is kind of readable with a bit of imagination.
  17. Bergante

Again, I don´t work for Sound Devices but if, for instance, you break something connected to an input of a mixing desk or microphone preamp because you enabled phantom power by mistake you can hardly blame the desk manufacturer. The use case for these mixer+recorders (and note that I use mine...
  18. Bergante

Oh well you won't see a guy with Stax headphones in a movie set ;) The usual workhorses are Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD25 and some Beyerdynamic models.
  19. Bergante

Here, in the downloads section. I remember, before the release of the second generation units I had drawn a crude block diagram (none was available I think) and I was thinking about drawing a nice one and publishing it. They released these with the second generation (or maybe I hadn't noticed...
Top Bottom