Search results

1. A

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Now, are we talking Tony with the big-hole Martin D28? Or Marty on the B-Bender? Marty Stuart talks about the B-Bender starting at around 1:05, but of course the whole thing is a good listen: https://www.pushkin.fm/podcasts/broken-record/marty-stuart I had tickets to a Marty Stuart small...
  2. A

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Justin Townes Earle. He had good shows, and not-good shows. The good ones were incandescent - I remember one night with Jason Isbell opening. They blew the doors off the place. I'm sorry his demons overcame him, he had more to say.
  3. A

Bands you just didn't 'get' initially

"The Piano Has Been Drinking" was my introduction to Tom Waits when I was a teen. I didn't get it. My only defense is that I, like all 18 year olds, was dumber than a box of rusty hammers at the time. Tom Waits is a national treasure.
  4. A

The Current State Of Classic Country on Streaming Services

I vote for an AM radio at a barbershop. A place with linoleum floors, a few molded fiberglass chairs, a stack of Field & Stream magazines, run by a guy with fading Navy tattoo on his forearm and a haircut you could set your watch to. Nostalgia aside, many classic recordings were made either...
  5. A

Companies that produce midrange ribbon drivers?

Stage Accompany 8535 - Out of production, and above your given $ range, but I do own a pair, and they're lovely. https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650057420-stage-accompany-sa-8535-horn-loaded-planar-ribbon-tweeter-pair/ (not my listing, no relation) 10 pounds of neodymium per driver, so...
  6. A

British Grove Studio's

"And this is the 128 channel Neve console; it's priceless, really..." (Waves tea cup over it)
  7. A

compressor schematic/design for guitar

The sunsetting of DIP packaging is going to be the end of us amateur solder slingers, eh? I built an ET using Merlin's now-discontinued board; it worked well but as a couch noodler I've found I don't use it much.
  8. A

compressor schematic/design for guitar

Have you looked at the Engineer's Thumb?
  9. A

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

> claim that he can hear filter difference down to almost -200dB This amuses me. -200dB what? u? V? FS? That's something raised to the negative 9th power, innit? Regardless, that's gotta be like hearing the lightbulb warm up the room I'm sitting in.
  10. A

Please recommend loudspeaker cable... Professional but not extreme audiophile type

Ancor marine audio cable is tinned the entire length for corrosion resistance, is flexible and lays well: https://ancorproducts.com/en/p/142410/Super-Flex-Audio-Cable-14-2-AWG-2-x
  11. A

Peter Gabriel's 2023 album "I/O"

T-zero plus 3 years, actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_Player A friend who collects interesting dead-ends of consumer tech has one in his collection, next to the General Magic tablet and Nokia sliding keyboards. The UX is... confounding for this GenXer.
  12. A

Who can help a newbie who inherited equipment

Wow, that's quite a legacy; Hartsfields were Statement Pieces in their day. Do you have a big room to enjoy them in? The diagram looks promising. I don't know about the Levinson gear in this case, but most of the Levinson equipment used non-standard connectors ("camac" aka "lemo" aka...
  13. A

Newbie Acoustic Guitar player looking for Audio Interface ?

Something like the Samson G-Track Pro might suit you well. $140 for an all-in-one USB connected device, with switchable Cardioid / Omni condensor mic, onboard monitor for headphones, and a second channel for plugging in a guitar pickup. I don't have direct experience, so confirm that it...
  14. A

Can we imitate loudness dial?

Yes, in principle, you can emulate the function of the Loudness control with the bass and the treble controls. However - a well implemented Loudness will boost with shelving filters at particular frequencies - 70 Hz for the low, 3500 for the high in the case of the CamillaDSP...
  15. A

Best Power Amp trying to recreate Audio Note Cobra experience

Years past, several of the AudioNote speakers were based on the Snell Acoustics Type E. You might be able to find a secondhand pair of Snells for easy money, although they will likely be ready for a refoam.
  16. A

What advice you wish you could have given to your younger self or someone new to this hobby?

Don't listen to a walkman to pass the time at your summer lawnmowing job.
  17. A

Now, this right there is funny

I feel like that one ended with "Arrgh, you gave it to the cat!? How come?" Am I misremembering?
  18. A

My OEM Car System has ruined HiFi for me. Thoughts?

It's true - I've never had my home system replicate the joy of turning on the radio to hear the opening riff of Sweet Home Alabama in the same instant the turbos spooled and the freeway onramp magically cleared. To the question at hand - Is there any evidence that the fancy car system doesn't...
  19. A

Inductors as an Audio Enhancer

Inductive volume controls are usually tapped autoformers. 70V distribution systems sometimes use them as wall-mounted junction box volume controls, rather than resistive elements. I suppose on a distribution system it's less efficient to turn the excess energy into heat via a resistive...
Top Bottom