Search results

1. sktn77a

Harbeth Monitor 30 Speaker Review

"I have Harbeth and Neumann KH150 here, playing side by side, and I can tell you that speech/voice is definitely more intelligible thru Neumanns." My Amazon firestick has a "Dialog Enhance" option that does the same thing by boosting 1-2kHz frequencies by about 6dB! The one certainty about...
  2. sktn77a

Neither did the M30 - it used the Radial 1. The M30.1 and on used the Radial 2. ahoffer - you can't compare the M30.2 FR plot from stereophile with the M30 FR plots in the OP - they are take under totally different measuring circumstances.
  3. sktn77a

Not according to the manufacturer...... they are "subtle improvements on a sound original design".
  4. sktn77a

But with different measurement parameters and techniques I don't know if you can compare them(?)
  5. sktn77a

I've had two pairs of Harbeth speakers (well, three, if you include the LS5/12a, which were a truly horrible loudspeaker), a pair of P3-ESRs and a pair of M30s. I think my preference was for the little P3 but the M30s were OK. Most reviews of the M30 are extremely positive. Only two have been...
  6. sktn77a

Rogers LS3/5a (BBC) Speaker Review

True, but that is the most expensive new, production version available. Other, new, licensed, production LS3/5As sell for $2000-$3200. I don't think the new, Chinese, Rogers LS3/5A is selling in any significant quantities (partly because of the price and partly because of where the components...
  7. sktn77a

I wish people on this forum would stop obsessing over the original erroneous price quoted in this review. No new commercial LS3/5a sells for $5000 (forget the absurd "white belly" Hong Kong prices and the equally absurd "Kingswood Warren" prices). They range in price from $2000 (Mobile...
  8. sktn77a

I've owned LS3/5As for over 40 years. I've tried numerous alternatives in this time (ADS L810s, early Kans, LS5/12As, Aerial 5Bs, P3ESRs, M30s) but always go back to the LS3/5A. Yes, they are inaccurate but this inaccuracy is on the "euphonic" side. With a suitable subwoofer to a) fill out the...
  9. sktn77a

How Come the L3/5A No Longer Relevant in Today's Studio World?

There are some truly atrocious-sounding, expensive loudspeakers out there. The LS3/5a is not one of them.
  10. sktn77a

Sony ST-S770ES tuner memory issue

For what it's worth, I have the ST-S550ES - a contemporary of the ST-S770ES and the memory presets never worked from new. I even exchanged for another during the first week because of this but the replacement didn't work either. I assumed it was a defect in the design.
  11. sktn77a

Replacing The Manufacture’s Jumper Bar

Alan Shaw (Harbeth) said he succumbed to his marketing department's insistence to include bi-wire terminals in the 1990s. By the 2000's he's re-discovered his cohones and told them where to stick their bi-wire terminals. All Harbeth speakers since then have come with single wire terminals!
  12. sktn77a

What is the worst speaker you've ever heard?

Harbeth LS5/12a. Awful! Replaced a pair of Rogers LS3/5a. What a mistake!!!
  13. sktn77a

MM capacitive loading with stock Technics SL-1200GR or SL-1500C

Ah, $2500 for the RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE is getting a bit steep!
  14. sktn77a

Interesting, I'll have to check that out. I'm not an analog nut - used a SONY TAE-2000ESD all digital pre-amp for many years, but it crapped out on me so I went with the NAIM gear. It's served me well and continues to do so (with the possible future exception of the Stageline N).
  15. sktn77a

The V15/III was not particularly sensitive to loading capacitance, unlike its predecessors (the infamous midrange droop) or its successors (high end rolloff). The M97xE, and most of the current AT VM5xx/7xx series, are acutely sensitive to input capacitance, rolling off the high frequencies...
  16. sktn77a

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

It's not the speakers (or electronic components) that "break in", it's our ears. As in adapting to the sound of the new equipment.
  17. sktn77a

Front or rear ported monitors in very small room...

"Front or rear ported monitors in very small room..." Neither - get a sealed box like an LS3/5a or a Strada 2.
  18. sktn77a

What is the worst speaker you've ever heard?

Harbeth LS5/12A, hands down! They replaced a pair of LS3/5As - big mistake. How could Harbeth have made these, and expect them to be accepted, beats me.
  19. sktn77a

I generally like Harbeth speakers (only ones I've heard are the P3 and M30 models). But the HUG is a joke. I frequented it for a while but in the last couple of years, it's changed into a "Fanboy" rag. I've posted a couple of pretty neutral and honest posts that have been deleted by Mr Shaw...
Top Bottom