Search results

1. gavagai

How we could finally pin down flowery audiophile subjective descriptions

An analogy has the form : a is related to b as c is related to c. "as" represent an understanding model that can fill the hole if on of the a, b, c, d is missing. It works all the way around : if you have a and b and c and d, you may build the model of "as". If the analogy works like this, it is...
  2. gavagai

In fact maybe too short because you totally miss the point. "Brightness" or "luminance", whatever (although I never heard an audiophile saying "this speaker has too much luminance"). My point is that your analogy is not an analogy. And the reason for this is that "dark" and "bright" have a...
  3. gavagai

I'm sorry. I'm taking the risk of inducing lengthy post but it's to irresistible for me. Nope. Frequencies are related to colors, not brightness. So I don't really understand in what way your analogy is an analogy. Maybe you have an subjective conception of optics, and an subjective conception...
  4. gavagai

Is FR the only important measurement? Real life testing.

To me, a lot of audiophile think that their relation with their gear is the same kind of relation that the musicians have with their instruments. It's a kind of Munchhausen syndrom, the illness is thinking that the finger of god can touch a soul the same way It can touch some kind of hardware...
  5. gavagai

Is FR the only important measurement? Real life testing.

It's a very romantic point of view that, for instance, don't apply to classical violinists and classical music critics. Studies have shown that they do prefer modern instruments over ancient and expensive ones in blind tests. If they say that a stradivarius sound superb, it's obviously for...
  6. gavagai

SMSL SU-10 DAC Review

I think that that's already the case in the dashboard. As I have uderstood it, the APx555 present a synthetic view of two measurement : with and without a notch filter. This is why you can see at the same time the test signal and distortions as low as -140dB. Am I wrong ?
  7. gavagai

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Yes and the article's rigor is unbelievable from the logical point of view. I quote : "A quantum particle can exist in two mutually exclusive conditions at once. For example, a photon can be polarized so that the electric field in it wriggles vertically, horizontally, or both ways at the same...
  8. gavagai

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Yes, but the oversampling thing is totally BS if you just think of it just two seconds. Because a large part of the audio band is already oversampled, and not with "computed" or "reconstructed" but with real samples. For instance, the piano's A0 fundamental is already oversampled more or less...
  9. gavagai

My Beef with DeaDBeeF (Linux) - Batch Resampling is Incomplete

Great post ! Thanks ! So ffmpeg sox dithers by default. The command line is must simpler indeed. But sox doesn't preserve album art.
  10. gavagai

Kef R3 + SVS 3000 Micro - digital crossover (at what frequency?)

It doesn't matter for a sub. That's probably the good way to do it. But you have to keep in mind that the higher the crossover will be, the higher the room modes will come into play (I suppose that you know the stuff about bass localisation and crossover frequency). If you always listen at the...
  11. gavagai

My Beef with DeaDBeeF (Linux) - Batch Resampling is Incomplete

Assuming that all tracks are in a folder and you are in a console in that folder : for x in ./*.flac do ffmpeg -i ./"$x" -c:v copy -af aresample=resampler=soxr:precision=28:out_sample_fmt=s16:out_sample_rate=48000 ./convert/"$x" done Converts all tracks in 16bits / 48Khz. Covert arts are...
  12. gavagai

I agree. Einstein's theory of relativity is not a conceptual achievement, just an heuristic achievement. He collected data about the the deformation of space-time (he has in his hands a space-time deformation measurement tool), sum them up and voilà ! You (with @Vacceo) really don't know what...
  13. gavagai

Stereophile's snide editorial on ASR and Amir

My guess is that the point is not objectivist vs. subjectivist but editorial concurrence. Objectivist's forums steal readers. That's all.
  14. gavagai

Sabaj A20d 2022 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

I agree. I see Rob Watts new technical and perceptual achievement as the result of multiple panic attacks. PTSD can destroy a human being you know...
  15. gavagai

For what is worth : Aristotle as the first scientist. "Science" is the common translation, via the latin scientia, of the greek épistémè. The treaty of épistémè is the "Posteriors Analytics". Epistémè is for Aristotle the true knowledge. It's a deductive knowledge. It has characteristics that...
  16. gavagai

I'm afraid the reference to Schopenhauer may be not entirely clear. The Schopenhauer's book is a manual on how to fight people that refuses to admit rational arguments (not only scientific arguments) and uses various rhetorical techniques (stratagems) to be always right (hence the title in...
  17. gavagai

Yes and no. It's not a choice : p-bass is an industry standard. The lesson of the video is that, as a true studio artist, you have to acknowledge what standards are, and build your artist singularity around them. You do not express your freewill when you fight them. Quite the contrary. I think...
  18. gavagai

Stratagem 1 of The art of being right. 38 Ways to Win an Argument by Schopenhauer : The Extension. - This consists in carrying your opponent's proposition beyond its natural limits; in giving it as general a signification and as wide a sense as possible, so as to exaggerate it; and, on the other...
Top Bottom