Search results

1. J

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

I would engage the OP1612 buffer and would try it again. Engaging buffer keeps minimum input impedance at 47 kohm on the line level RME. Maybe the edgy sound is due to this. I still have to do a serious listening session with YBA1 double chassis preamp + NCx500 (double mono topology with two...
  2. J

I had two loudspeakers on burn-in time for three and a half years, and with great success IMHO. On the fourth year they started to sound like angels, so smooth, so lineal, so engaging... but suddenly, without previous notice, the voice coils melted in the best of their lives They died so young...
  3. J

Thank you very much for you feedback (not negative lol). Your system is a quite impressive and neatly organized setup :) The RME is a great piece of equipment, it offers fantastic flexibility with its four outputs (I wasn't aware it also offer RIAA eq. Wow, what a nice feature!). I have had my...
  4. J

Hi DrCWO, thanks for the photos. I've received just now my NCx500 amp, but still hadn't the time to open the parcel :) Your power amp seems to have the buffer stage bypassed at jumpers J15&J7, so it's running at 11,5 dB voltage gain instead of 26.8 dB. What preamplifier/DAC are you going to...
  5. J

Me too, I expect to receive a power amp today, wednesday, at least this is what UPS tracking says. Two NCX500 modules with two SMPS 1200A700 power supplies. They are out of stock right now.
  6. J

Anyone has got or had an experience with ultra near field listening?

I suppose that in UNF setup the low frequencies have a so small in-room spl that they can't develop any room mode excitation but still you listen lots of low fequencies at 25 cm or 5 cm distance. Also logical. In my approach, i've solved the room modes with dipolar bass radiation pattern...
  7. J

Understood. It's logical then that you don't experience this issue due to full range drivers employed in both of your setups. From your photos I thought it was one only setup, but they are two different ones, ok. In my own setup I'm using an acoustically small dipolar 4 way system. The LX521 top...
  8. J

Hi! You seem to be walking through a very unusual way. In my opinion it's clear the advantages you claim are very similar to what I'm experiencing with my own setup. I have been fiddling endlessly with the speakers room setup at my home and have arrived to at a very nearfield disposition also...
  9. J

My waf dipole speaker design. Waffle.

Liked your post there on DIYaudio. That's why I have my LX521 at 80 cm from my ears in ultra nearfield setup. Much, much less room modulated sound and much, much more "what is on the recording" sound.
  10. J

Hi Juhazi! Thanks for the links. I've been reading a lot about your AINOgradient thread at DIYaudio. Nice speaker indeed. I think that at some point you were debating yourself regarding adding dipolar bass or not, although you've finally settled on monopolar with Seas LROY. As you've commented...
  11. J

Hi again Ben! I really appreciate your efforts to construct a new transducer employing the LX521 basic principles (OB) but adapted to your own necessities and tastes. IMHO what you have accomplished it's not an easy task. You have also selected a completely different driver complement and...
  12. J

Just for curiosity, when applying the HP LR4 did you notice any group delay effect? Sometimes visibly "awkward" measurements are completely unnoticed to the ear. Regarding the voices issue you were explaining with the LX521, I have been playing quite a lot of voice recordings these past days...
  13. J

I really loved your bass bins, so small and with full force cancelation. I bet they can displace a great spl without even a slight vibration. Not that the LXsub4s are bad in any way, they are also excellently designed and executed with state of the art drivers. How much is the cost of your subs...
  14. J

Well, the proof is in the cake. Just place them in this way and listen, it's free. The 4 drivers sound at the upper baffles is perfectly integrated at that distance of 80 cm to each ear. In my experience this the minimum distance before they collapse as individual drivers. Despite this ultra...
  15. J

Hi Ben. Don't you worry for the late response. Ok, so not a big difference without the absorbers. Look, here is my LX521 plus LXmini FR setup in my listening room. There are 12 power amps running. If I'd have to describe the sound I would say it's a LX521 on stereoids. Lots of three dimensional...
  16. J

By the way, I've seen that you have placed some kind of high frequency absorbers in the top of the bass bins. Does it mean you have experienced some kind of measurable combing effect on this surface? Did the treatment helped with it? Thanks Best regards
  17. J

Hi Ben Congrats for your Waff construction. It is a really nice variation over the orginal LX521. As you've written, you've reached your three design goals. It is great to own those two systems and perform comparissons on the fly. I always felt the human voices with very natural qualities when...
Top Bottom