Search results

1. R

Audio Note speakers

I had some KEF Cadenzas in the mid/late 80's, Daniel. I thought they were amazing (in comparison to what I had before). The only problem is that they looked really 'scruffy' without the grill. They should make these again, but tidy up the front - probably increase the enclosure height too -...
  2. R

Where does quantization noise come from.

The noise and the quantized signal are not drawn 'ideally' - they would have square type steps, not a smooth wave. This may cause confusion when trying to explain it. The noise is the difference between the input and the output. You can hear the noise clearly if it was 8-bit at an 8 kHz...
  3. R

Review and Measurements of Neurochrome Modulus-286 Amp

I built my own amp using a single LM3886 chip for each channel, powered by a 300 W unregulated 50 Hz supply (purely for reliability and 'on-demand' capability). I use it to drive a super-efficient Transmission Line speaker (8" driver, parallel rear-firing duct, with some 'tricks' added). The...
  4. R

Tilt Tone Control for Headphones / Speakers

This may or may not be the original intended reason, and it may have been mentioned before, but I have a strong feeling that 'Tilt' control, back in the vinyl days, was useful to correct an over-tilted RIAA curve that the engineers may have added during pressing, which may not align with your...
  5. R

Transmission-line speakers

Yes, electrical data transmission lines have 'Terminators' to stop/reduce reflections (i.e. to stop the wave bouncing back) - which has the same function as an open duct - so 'terminus' seems related... *Shrugs as well.
  6. R

A really good question Head_Unit. I called it the exhaust once. According to AI - In church organ pipes, it's called the "Mouth", or technically, the "Antinode" for a 1/4 wave etc., if it's the open end of the pipe, opposite the sound source.
  7. R

I've just built some TLs - parallel duct, 1/4 wavelength, rear-top exhaust. 1.16 x 0.3 x 0.3 m. It predicably and repeatably, resonates in the lower register, and there is a significant (-12 dB) attenuation at around 89 to 90 Hz. The tweeter, which is sealed, also has significant resonances...
Top Bottom