Search results

1. M

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

I don't know about the Singxer SA-1. On the Schiit Magnius, I believe that both the balanced XLR balanced headphone output on the front, and the RCA pre-amp outputs on the rear, are active at the same time. However, I use the RCA outputs of my DAC to connect to my sub, and the balanced XLR...
  2. M

Which one would you choose?

The best combo would be a tube preamp, and high quality class D amp.
  3. M

Is this the future of Hi-Fi?

Actually, there were/are right-wing Hegelians and left-wing Hegelians (many of whom later became Marxists). Hegel himself was more on the right.
  4. M

Another guy on Youtube going to visit Danny down in texas....

Probably a lot of them do believe it.
  5. M

The last time I bought speaker cable was 1988 when I went to Home Depot and got some 12 gauge stranded speaker wire (with a clear jacket) by the foot off a large reel. I needed 25 foot runs, so I bought 50 feet of cable, and then soldered some gold-plated connectors on myself. I have been using...
  6. M

I didn't say it was a matter of relatively. I was just stating what I believe to be the facts about what all high-end audio retailers do. I don't know exactly what to conclude from it. We are continuously bombarded with advertisements about millions of products and services (not just audio) on...
  7. M

There isn't a high-end audio retailer anywhere in the world that doesn't sell cables even more expensive than those from GR-Research to their customers. It basically comes down to caveat emptor (buyer beware).
  8. M

What I meant is that I don't think he really believes that stuff he says about his cables. He is trying to make money.
  9. M

I don't think Danny is as stupid as you think he is. He knows exactly what he is doing. He looks around and sees a lot of high end cable companies selling outrageously expensive cables, and he thinks he can make some cables that look just as impressive for 1/4 the price (but still very expensive...
  10. M

Burnt smell from speaker, but it’s still working fine. Should I be concerned?

Either the crossover or speaker has been damaged. Not really possible to know without looking at the internal parts or testing it whether it affects the sound. Since testing it is probably easier than looking inside, you might try some audio test CD's that play various frequency tones. These are...
  11. M

2 way passive speaker on its side as a center channel?

If you had a 2-way MTM bookshelf speaker, you could turn that on its side and get fairly decent imaging.
  12. M

Yes, of course it is confirmation bias. But most of them don't care. It's similar to buying a Rolls Royce. It's not technologically superior to other autos, it's a status symbol. Many people buy classic cars that are technologically primitive (and even not luxurious), because it is a hobby...
  13. M

Here is some interesting information about Jay (from this comment he made on YouTube): "I'm [Jay] a researcher for the university that leads 3 different human hearing research teams. I have two science degrees and an engineering degree and worked in numerous recording studios but that has...
  14. M

That is true, But when I look at the Q&A section of Amazon listings for things like speakers, it is very common for people to ask about how much amplifier power is required for the speaker, and they are concerned because the product write-up will say something like 400 watts rating for the...
  15. M

Have you ever heard a wine connoisseur talk about the qualities of a specific wine? It's almost 100% BS. Costco has sold a lot of wine at very reasonable prices, because they do blind taste tests, and many consumers have realized that even Costco Kirkland brand wine is often quite good.
  16. M

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Is it allowed to say the word "Bose" on an audiophile forum? :oops: Actually, in 1972 I heard the Bose 901 speaker system at Audio Concepts in Austin TX. The 901 had nine 4" full range drivers. One driver facing forward, and the other 8 drivers facing to the rear for reflecting off the rear...
  17. M

OK, thanks for the clarification. I just want to emphasize that even though I did talk about the idea of speaker system with a full range driver and no crossover needed, I don't think it would work unless multiple drivers were used in some kind of line array. Even if the LGK system did have...
  18. M

I only mentioned that because Rick already had one he built for the evaluation and said he was going to switch out the LGK driver with a Peerless driver to see if performed any better. I merely speculated that the only way to noticeably improve the system (that needed no crossover) was to have...
  19. M

Are you saying that I said that? Not even remotely accurate. Please provide a quote if you are attributing that to me. I wouldn't even waste my time evaluating such a small speaker system. I am baffled (no pun intended) as to why there are so many comments on this product. My original interest...
  20. M

This line of discussion started when Rick Sykora (who built the test unit for Amir) posted previously in this thread that he was going to replace the LGK 2.0 driver with a Peerless NE123-8 in the LGK2’s cabinet. It is advertised as a 4" driver and Rick said it is is twice the price of the LGK...
Top Bottom