Search results

1. McGillroy

Audible difference in players? (Audirvana, JRiver, Roon, MusicBee, etc.)

Did anybody indeed do measurements on any of these players? If so please point me to them. Thank you!
  2. McGillroy

Looking for desktop computer "audiophile" speakers

Many options if you look for studio monitors. Their use case is sitting next to monitors: check HEDD, Adam, Genelec, Neumann, Geithain, Amphion to name a few.
  3. McGillroy

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

Wagnerbrainparasites do that. Probably irreversible unless a healthy dose of Adorno Forte applied.
  4. McGillroy

You will laugh for sure. The language alone draws chuckles aplenty. Wagner doesn't work on recordings. Like Freud called for psychoanalysis to have sessions on at least four days a week to make sure people don't come out of regression too much something like the Ring is a multi-day regressive...
  5. McGillroy

Interesting - could you pls point me to the source of that? Thank you!
  6. McGillroy

Wasn't mine either until I got old :D Moers, Wacken, Bayreuth - the true Teutonic sonic trinity. Been there did that. Do it again if I can.
  7. McGillroy

Hi Johannes - could you point me to those stands for your JBLs? Got the 305s too and they are sitting on some crappy Thoman things. Stockhausen trying to outwagner Wagner is a failure imho. Four days of musical immersion is the sweet spot, trust me on that ;)
  8. McGillroy

Advice needed: classical music, budget ~$30k

This is very sound advice! Spending on getting good RI-values will net you the most return for your money. Especially deep and clean bass is impossible without good room treatment. Soundstaging too will improve. Last not least unlike DSP-based room correction your acoustic won't obsolete...
  9. McGillroy

Advice needed: classical music, budget ~$30k

Strauss SE-MF-4 should be within budget. Passive mastering monitors. Good enough for Sony mastering studios and probably pretty nice with the right amps driving them.
  10. McGillroy

The treble on the Sennheiser HD660 S is just .... wrong

Update: got the HD650 now and it's a keeper. Couldn't directly compare but the 650 felt right from the first minute and it has stayed that way so far. Relaxed, yet detailed sound and I can listen with it for hours. The 660S came off my ears quickly and I didn't want to put it back on. My other...
  11. McGillroy

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Strauss SE-MF-4 should be within budget. Passive mastering monitors. Good enough for Sony mastering studios and probably pretty nice with the right amps driving them.
  12. McGillroy

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

Listening at 90db...?! Wow!
  13. McGillroy

660S goes back. Spend the weekend with it and it just takes the pleasure out of listening to music. Espc. classical music sounds annoying while I can listen to the same pieces with the DT1990 for hours. With pop and metal the 660S does ok and I heard a few things I wasn't aware of. But here too...
  14. McGillroy

Yep that 5k peak might be it. But I also hear a little more detail in the lower mids when playing around with my own recordings. Haven't heard the 560s, maybe give those a try.
  15. McGillroy

So the 660S is your least favourite of the three? Could you perhaps elaborate why?
  16. McGillroy

Got the 660S two days without any prior knowledge. Just wanted a headphone to complement my Beyer 1990DT. Had heard the 650 at shops against the Beyer and ultimately picked the latter cause it had a little more bass and better midrange. But it was close and I very much liked the 650. Saw a...
  17. McGillroy

SUBWOOFER and BiAmp -- ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition vs ADI-2 DAC FS

…coming fall 22. Four outputs, individually EQ’able. 4493 based afaik but not sure.
  18. McGillroy

Which Pi Hat DACs measurements do you like to see

Your post is confusing me. What are you trying to say? Abacus is the name of the company, Aroio is the name of their line of digital audio products, including Aroio OS and Aroio Pre-amps/DACs.
  19. McGillroy

Which Pi Hat DACs measurements do you like to see

Hmmm - I am not sure if you are mistaken: you linked the description of the Aroio OS which also supports IQ Audio cards alongside their Aroio DAC-Hat. As far as I can derive from their documentation the latter is an in-house design. It seems they used IQ cards till 2016 and switched to their own...
  20. McGillroy

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

I used to have a Kaber. That speaker is really nowhere near flat, has weird phase behaviour, no low-end, very limited dynamics etc. And yes I had it in all possible iterations from single amp over, dual- and triple amp to full active. Akudorik Exakt is a different story. Any speaker can be made...
Top Bottom