Search results

1. terryforsythe

WiiM Ultra

My WiiM Pro Plus only has 4 PEQ settings (maybe they will offer more at some point). Also, it looks like the EQ settings apply to both channels simultaneously. I prefer to EQ each channel separately due to the non-symmetrical placement of my speakers in the room - their in-room frequency...
  2. terryforsythe

WiiM Ultra

The WiiM won't run CamillaDSP (at least as far as I know) or otherwise run convolution using a convolution file. I prefer using convolution over a PEQ. Volumio is OK, but I much prefer to use WiiM as a streamer.
  3. terryforsythe

WiiM Ultra

My use is a niche case, but I will explain why USB will benefit me. I have KEF LS60 wireless speakers but, internally, they do not have room compensation. For room correction I use a Raspberry Pi running CamillaDSP. I use a miniDSP Streamer kit as digital my I/O for my Raspberry Pi, and use a...
  4. terryforsythe

WiiM Ultra

I'm looking forward to this. It will solve an issue for me.
  5. terryforsythe

What is the point of upsampling?

DonH56 is correct. That is why dithering is used. If properly implemented, dithering spreads the quantization noise over a wider frequency spectrum, and then the higher inaudible frequencies are filtered out, which effectively reduces quantization noise. And yes, dithering can be implemented...
  6. terryforsythe

DIY 2 way filter

Do you already have the woofer? If not, you might want to use a driver that is specifically configured to play up to at least 10 kHz. A full range driver may work well. If you already have the woofer, try to find out the frequency range over which it performs well.
  7. terryforsythe

DIY 2 way filter

Why did you choose 9 kHz as the crossover frequency? That is high for a two-way design.
  8. terryforsythe

DIY 2 way filter

Without impedance and frequency response measurements for the individual drivers, and using those in a suitable model (e.g., using VituixCAD), it is an uphill battle trying to get a smooth crossover transition. It can be done, though, the old school way - using a measurement microphone and a...
  9. terryforsythe

First dac. Help me to choose.

Bummer. I like Tidal. I was not aware Tidal was having issues. Is it financial troubles?
  10. terryforsythe

Question about REW tone generator settings

I would start lower, then step it up in 1 dB increments until you detect clipping. What are using as a load?
  11. terryforsythe

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

A little toe-in improved the imaging for me as well.
  12. terryforsythe

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

My LS60s sound better to me with a little bit of toe in.
  13. terryforsythe

Subwoofer suggestions

Higher Qts typically is used for infinite baffle (e.q., open baffle speakers, in-wall speakers, speakers for car doors, etc.). I prefer a Qts around 0.4 for bass reflex designs, and a Qts a little lower for acoustic suspension, due to the bass alignment profiles. If, however, a subwoofer is...
  14. terryforsythe

Modifications to Elac Uni-Fi Reference UBR62 Bookshelf Speakers

Here is an update. I did some tuning today, measured at my listening position with the speakers toed in a bit, probably 15 degrees or so. I found this provides the widest sound stage. The high frequencies do roll off above about 15 kHz, though, at that angle. But, at my age, 15 kHz is above...
  15. terryforsythe

Subwoofer suggestions

Most people buying speakers don't know any better. They listen to the speakers and the one with the most bass and top end sizzle typically sounds better to them, not knowing that ported speakers can be more difficult to get phase aligned with a subwoofer. KEF does provide port plugs with some...
  16. terryforsythe

Subwoofer suggestions

It depends. A Qts of 0.40 works well for a second-order Chebychev equal ripple response (Qtc = 0.8) acoustic suspension speaker. A Qts of 0.40 also works well for a vented enclosure with a SC4 alignment with a QL of 7. I have never used a woofer with a Qts anywhere near that high. The last...
  17. terryforsythe

Subwoofer suggestions

When using a speaker without a subwoofer, I do prefer a bass reflex speaker (although I have not yet tried a transmission line speaker, which I do find interesting). When using a speaker with a subwoofer, I prefer an acoustic suspension speaker for the reasons I explained above. In my previous...
  18. terryforsythe

Subwoofer suggestions

1. Plugging the port lowers the group delay at the lower frequencies and makes the group delay less non-linear. With my speakers, this enabled me to get better phase alignment with the subwoofer in the crossover regions I experimented with before settling on a final crossover frequency. This...
  19. terryforsythe

New EX MACHINA ARCTURUS 3-WAY ACTIVE STUDIO MONITORS

I am using the .wav files in CamillaDSP running on a Raspberry Pi 5. Running 64k taps did not present any problems whatsoever. My DSP load never exceeds 5% when playing music (2 channels), and my total RAM usage is <300 MB. (Needless to say, getting an 8GB version of the PI was way, way...
Top Bottom