Search results

1. E

SMSL M500 MKII Review (DAC & HP Amp)

I had very much wanted the ADI-2 but wife got wind of cost. My bad.. Definitely it's gear lust, those guys just do it right and I admire them. I'm OK for now.
  2. E

I think the price may be holding it back. There are plenty of DACs/Amps around $300 and up and this one has been $500+. Mine's still working just fine, no complaints. I am satisfied with the value/performance equation but, like I said, there are many effective DACs being sold for less. This...
  3. E

Nearfield desktop setup: Elac UB52 vs Wharfedale 12.0 vs Wharfedale 12.1 or something else?

I was using an older Onkyo TX-NR626 AVR that I still had. Decent unit, plenty enough power when used 2 channel and features galore. Not special but adequate.
  4. E

Just a short followup....the headphone output works very well and will provide more opportunities to work through the different filters/colors in the 500-2. I am always very sceptical of those sorts of things but I'll keep exploring. The realism (a word I try to use without other audiophile...
  5. E

I remain very pleased with the setup. I also found that the higher gain setting on the Navis was best. I tried increasing upper frequencies via the backside switches but didn't care for it, at least on the tracks I played. So, back to flat. The different PCM filters in the 500 haven't...
  6. E

I wish I could give you a recommendation but I just don't have the experience necessary to do so. The JBL's get generally good reviews. I would check thecheapaudioman on youtube to see if he has tested them. Also Audio Science Review. There are likely others but remember the only opinion...
  7. E

Adam I hope you saw that report of mine. I will still have to put it through all the paces but I'm happy with it so far. BTW I have only streamed directly using the DAC as a PRE feeding the Navis. Using Amazon Ultra HD/LDAC. Going for more hardware hookups tomorrow.
  8. E

I actually received and set up the M500-II today but have only streamed through it via my Fire tablet. So rar no problems. I've run through the menus changing filters/colors etc. but have not found any real benefit there. I also hooked it up to a set of Elac Navis which are newly arrived and...
  9. E

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

I've gotten the Navis and SMSL M500 Mk II up and running and it all sounds terrific. The Navis sound more mature, call it warmer I suppose, than the UBR -52's. The 52's are more *crystal* tinkly, great but they cry out for a sub(s) whereas the Navis punch pretty darn good. Which they should...
  10. E

Agreed. No one could physically conquer us both. We're doing our best at cultural suicide all by ourselves. We don't need further *help*. That's as political as I will get. On to happier thoughts and sounds.
  11. E

Ah yes, The Rock. Tunnels between buildings, sunny clime..... It was going to go to contractor ops (these days Raytheon) when I was leaving. Bendix, at the time, offered me three times what I was making in the AF to go there. No. I was on the listening side but the Cobra Dane is still there...
  12. E

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

I had some experience with the Sunfire (nee Carver?) small ~one foot cube in the mid 90's (a demo). It was always an amazement to me. The excursion was something to behold. Can't recall its accuracy or other characteristics.
  13. E

All I remember was that there were both weight and volume limitations and still recall the large, fabricated, cubical plywood shipping boxes. I never moved the wife overseas, just me. I went places she wasn't allowed so I never had to move a full household. I was holding orders for Shemya...
  14. E

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

Darko has a very short *unboxing* teaser on his channel that shows a fully exposed LS60 Wireless.
  15. E

You didn't miss much. It was a dead end. Every time I see the latest (kidding) 15.3 system or some such advertised I just smile. I'll take my two in front, I'm the simple type. As far as service was concerned it was a privilege. I'd do it again if they'd let me. Of course I would have to...
  16. E

I was in the Air Force so much of the good gear was available to me for cheap. TEAC reel to reels, Sansui, etc. I even deep dived once on (horrors) quadraphonic!
  17. E

It's a good question but speakers are anything but digital, as in it either works or it doesn't. So in my mind the materials used, cones, spiders are candidates. The throw, the ability to move and cause sound millions of times is a non-trivial task when you get down to it.
  18. E

With moves, divorces and yard sales (oh my) the good Pioneers, et al, got lost long ago.
  19. E

I would too but, as I said early on, break in does not happen as a ruler. My experience has been infrequent out of Lord knows how many of mine and others I've helped set up over the years. It's not a good AB but I am interested to see what the Navis compared to them reveals. We'll see.
  20. E

I appreciate what you're saying but you can not judge what I heard and hear. Non-starter but thanks sincerely for taking time with me.
Top Bottom