Search results

1. G

Denafrips Ares II besides measurements - worth it?

Some suggestions? I don't want whistles and bells, no displays, no headphone amp, no BT, the more discrete the better, 1 USB, 1 or 2 optical and I am fine to go, R2R seems to better fit my listening taste. Grazie edit: built in power supply, I want one discrete box and one cable running to...
  2. G

Denafrips Ares II besides measurements - worth it?

I got a vintage stereo system, preamp being an Audio Research SP9, power amp Aeron AP890, big and heavy KT88 push-pull, sources Sony CD-P X505ES (great DAC!!!), Michell Gyrodec MKI and ugly Beresford Caiman SEG to convert the data flow off an old MacMini which only streams lossless music...
  3. G

I wanna get rid of my Beresford, would you help me pick something???

... Good morning Sir, well, I do really appreciate the above, honestly it's like when people ask me, as a passionate photographer, about a lens and I suggest them to get a new camera, I simply asked for a DAC with no whistles and bells, one if not two optical inputs and a built in PSU with a...
  4. G

Exactly, I got the occasion to buy a Michell Gyrodec and the AR SP9 locally and I didn't miss the chance, the turntable is 99% of the time a nice piece of furniture as I have no space to stack it along with the other components so it doesn't play much while the SP9, which also serves as a phono...
  5. G

It sure has to do with my English as my mother tongue is Italian but I thought it was clear enough that I need a device which allows me to stream a digital audio signal from a TV screen, a MacMini and, not mandatory but welcome, also a second device with an optical out as either a CD player or a...
  6. G

Well, I read the test of the PS Audio Nuwave DSD and it kinda made me rethink about it and as such I thought I could get some advise but so far I got it wrong, sorry for ripping your time and space and for my misunderstanding, have a great day
  7. G

I asked what could do it to replace my Beresford and somebody came up with the idea of bypassing the preamp and using a DAC alone, somebody else suggested a class D, nothing I been asking about, maybe we got off topic
  8. G

Willem don't take it bad, some amps depend on the preamp to give music a signature, my solid state Class A power amp is a buffer and its sound signature depends on the source and I won't feed such an amp with the MacMini DAC's signal nor I would bypass the AR SP9 and, sorry again, if you compare...
  9. G

The Caiman is connected to a line input on the AR SP9 and it has not enough voltage on the output to drive the power amp and, not to be offensive, can't compare a thing like the Beresford to a dedicated preamp like an Audio Research no matter how old the AR is
  10. G

Power amp wise I got, in use, a FirstWatt F4 clone which is very highly regarded and an Aeron AP890 with a push pull of KT88, I been rumbling about getting a tube integrated amp but it would mean loose money (selling both the Aeron and the SP9 I would barely make enough to get an integrated) and...
  11. G

YEs, sorry, sometimes I play a CD and switch the output off the preamp either directly from the player or through the DAC and I find the internal converter of the Sony to be more pleasant to listen and not by a fraction, not what as a photographer I'd call pixel peeping
  12. G

Yep, unbalanced and no problem for a knob unless it's a thick and fat thing and, possibly, no displays, unobtrusive LEDs would do better. The design of the PS Audio is pretty pleasant, I had also thought of a Denafrips Ares II which is about same price range but a suggestion with regards to...
  13. G

Long story short, got sc**wed by the (fake) claims about the Caiman SEG and it's Dorado brick (caps and a couple 7812-7815 like voltage regulators), I literally hate it, it could be the best sounding DAC in the solar system (which I know being exactly opposite) and I'd still want to get rid of...
  14. G

Beresford Caiman SEG Review (Stereo DAC)

I might have posted a pic in the previous pages, not sure about it but so far I seem to recall some capacitors, batteries and a couple of voltage regulators, the miracle brick... I guess that Mr Beresford was very good at marketing his gear but when I think of the comparison with my 1991 Sony...
  15. G

I bought the SEG with the first iteration of the Dorado and back then I made a test by playing a CD through both the SEG and the analog output of the Sony CD-P X505ES and there was no doubt the Sony plays much better, clearer, more open... I removed the Dorado off the chain, worthless to add...
  16. G

I have nothing else to compare the SEG to nor my setup is very discerning I guess but I can tell that if I listen to a CD and I switch from analog output on the player to the DAC I better prefer the built in converter of my ancient Sony ES CD player. This said not matter of numbers, I am a...
  17. G

I am waiting for the delivery, dunno how long it will take as now England and Italy not any longer part of the EU so it might take longer than expected cause of customs, will try and listen to couple tracks I know with old firmware and then swap with the new one in the hope something gets better...
  18. G

Did anybody experience some change after firmware upgrade of the SEG? Mine is v2.9 and waiting for v5 till I can finally get a better whole DAC to put the Caiman to different use. Grazie
Top Bottom