Search results

1. S

Are there any measurements of non-speaker audio gear that correspond to a wide and deep soundstage?

That's not what I said, it's a strawman argument. I said that steady state tests are not enough. And people above contradicted me (with a childish meme). Now you're telling me that there are tests done here for IMD - like I denied that, or I don't know about those, it's something new. I...
  2. S

Are there any measurements of non-speaker audio gear that correspond to a wide and deep soundstage?

When you test with ONE sine wave, low frequency (333Hz or 1kHz), constant amplitude, that's "steady state". There are tests that are more advanced than that, but since they are hard to understand, some people refuse to "believe" in them. Like some people refuse to believe the Earth is a...
  3. S

Denon UDRA-M10 tear down help needed!

The chips in Schiit are different, more modern, but yeah, those older 18 bit multibit DACs sound great IMO. Remember, the CDs have 16 bit and they are sufficient. I have bought a few CD players and I can compare the multibit ones with noise-shaped delta-sigma. I prefer the multibit...
  4. S

High end receiver phono input vs dedicated phono stage?

Because that's not that much different from moving a membrane, attached by a coil, with some electromagnets, suspended by a quasi-linear elastic support, in a magnetic field. Speakers, headphones have to feed-back mechanisms either...
  5. S

Any assertion that an electronic device that measures well in steady state will sound good with music is just wishful thinking, not supported by anything. Blind tests proved that many times, but they are just treated as "anecdotal" by zealots of steady state measurements.
  6. S

New from Schiit Audio: Vidar 2

If you assume that SINAD is all you need from an amp, then yes you are right. If you listen to steady state sin waves that is perfectly true. Now, 87 dB is from where? I didn't see that at all: https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/Schiit%20Amp%20APx555%20Standard%20Test%20Suite_%20Vidar%202.pdf
  7. S

If the other devices would be ideal, theoretically perfect, then yes, they won't color the sound reproduction. But they are not. Some people look at steady-state measurements and think that's all you need to know about audio equipment. And then they cannot accept that a good "steady state...
  8. S

Hagerman Bugle3 Phono Stage Review

I like J-FETs too on input stages, because they are fast and noiseless. But I think your design doesn't have enough open loop gain to be problematic. It works? yes. But is not trivial, you have to match those transistors to lower the THD. That i snot trivial to scale in manufacturing. I like...
  9. S

Mani 2 has good potential, three per channel newer Jfet input OpAmps...
  10. S

I don't doubt you have results. I tried it both ways and like it better the passive way... Most of the implementations NFB are not great because is not that "trivial" like you said. Throwing in an OpAmp is trivial. But not that great IMO.
  11. S

And that's the fallacy... "it's trivial". While for passive networks is just simple reality.
  12. S

A dedicated stereo amp will be better built than a costumer grade multichannel AVR that costs the same (or less). This is the schematic of the phono stage in your Marantz PM7000N, differential pairs of J-fet in front of a "normal" OpAmp stage, yielding better SNR (87 dB VS 74 dB usual value for...
  13. S

I am a DIY EE and was, in younger days, a professional electronics repair technician. I built my own phono stages and with experimentation I found out that is better to have them as close as possible to the cartridge. Inside the player was the best location. Connection with the coil was done...
  14. S

I usually look at the schematics if I can find them... Most of the time you're finding that the stage in a flagship AVR is very similar with what you get in a stand alone. Denon reuses the same MM preamp in their latest models, it is rated at 74 dB SNR... Usually on modern models is just an...
  15. S

Measuring channel balance of Cambridge Audio Duo Phono

I used to have a "test" LP, master cut at 1/2 speed, printed on heavy weight vinyl. There are still some: https://www.amazon.com/HIFI-NEWS-Test-Producers-Cut/dp/B00KMCL1PE/
  16. S

SE to Balanced will help?

The SUT load up the pickup coil inside the cartridge with a lower impedance and they might change the response, depending on the cart impedance, especially in the high frequency part. IMO, you are giving up exactly what you are trying to gain by using a MC instead of a MM. Moving Coil are much...
  17. S

I have used to listen to LP and I even build my own preamp for it with discrete components. It definitely didn't have power hum at -60dB, but that was after careful grounding and shielding of the coil wires - twisted pair wires inside a shielded cable, one cable per each channel.
  18. S

Recently I tackled a similar issue in my headphone amp. Looking at various schematics of my other electronic devices that didn't have hum, I found out that, in US, the case ground is connected to power receptacle ground and is electrically isolated from signal ground. Between them usually there...
Top Bottom