Search results

1. A

B&W Matrix 2 Upgrade Project

There is putty, yes, and it's just a stopgap fix to fill the gap that the rubber ring occupied. The sound >6k unusable until i added the putty- I will need to find some flathead bolts to hold the tweeter if I decide to return the ring thingy. boring details... I have not done the other...
  2. A

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

I guess i don't understand what this result means in the real world. this does look quite bad compared to other usb DAC's. From what I can ascertain from the measurement results for the flex: 1kHz tone yields good results when compared with other DACs. Multitone does not rank as well (thanks...
  3. A

A bit of a tangent here, but not exactly. impulsive sounds like music are audible at 10dB+ below the ambient sound level. I'm no expert for audibility in IMD, so i won't comment there. also background sound level in most homes is level dependent - far higher at low frequencies than high, which...
  4. A

what does tin ears mean - like opposite of golden? would you agree the DAC quality compares roughly to mid range consumer DAC's? seems to me this is what you are saying. does anyone have experience or comparison with mid-range pro DSP units like models from harman/BSS, xilica, symetrix, dbx...
  5. A

could the IMD issue have anything to do with the processor upsampling? i have no clue.. has there been any follow up to the IMD issue?
  6. A

phase matters in any crossover. crossovers work best when frequency and phase response are relatively linear around the crossover point. interesting... i can get past the lights and the fiddly dial, but if it does not work well as a "close enough" state of the art USB DAC it is of no interest...
  7. A

hey guys. about to buy one of these. has anyone figured out if the IMD issue is "real" or if it's a product of some digital artifact, rate conversion or something that? @amirm is there some other test from the dashboard that could illuminate this? sorry if this has already been covered, i've...
  8. A

Topping E30 DAC Review

does anyone have a cheap, reliable way of switching optical inputs?
  9. A

Topping E30 DAC Review

did you hear any difference between the atom and the e30? We did 7 pairs of tests. i guessed which dac i was hearing. random order chosen by my pop 1. wrong, wrong 2. wrong, right 3. right, right 4. right, right 5. right, right -break testing to look at results. decided to run two more tests...
  10. A

Topping E30 DAC Review

I did a blind test over the weekend between a JDS atom + and the E30. Level matched via sound level meter. Inconclusive... I did 20 tests with the same song, and I went into the test looking for the difference that I thought I was hearing. Maybe I hyper focused on that sound... which is a...
  11. A

Topping E30 DAC Review

I would be interested to see a 10kHz performance comparison in addition to 1kHz... Filter #1 is the most comparable filter to the built-in on the JDS atom +. using that for comparison
  12. A

Topping E30 DAC Review

Then i'll see if my ears break in... finding F5 the most tolerable filter.
  13. A

Topping E30 DAC Review

E30 arrived yesterday via shenzhenaudio, listening now. Does the E30 need break in time in others' experience? I'm using it via the toslink input. The filters change the sound a bit, but all seem to have the same "edgy" quality. I had been using a JDS atom+, which to me sounded fine right...
  14. A

Audible "buzzing" from amplifier case.. any experience?

update - i got in touch with a tech and they think the main issue is a transistor shorting and it's going in for repair... under warrantee
  15. A

yes, and they're built like tanks one perk of working in studios is getting some of the castoffs;)
  16. A

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

music lovers i know in my generation (born in the 80's) listen to music in two ways: 1. streaming 2. vinyl Why? Streaming is convenient and easy, that's a no brainer. Vinyl provides a way to connect with the ALBUM in a way that is lost with streaming. Sound is only a small part of the...
  17. A

I tightened the transformers and it actually worked! I have to be honest here, i'm surprised! The model is a 2B-LP, not a 7B. I knew one channel was out, so I checked for the fuse when i was inside and the "bad" channel had a burned fuse. Swapped the fuse from the other channel, turned it...
  18. A

Question for those more knowledgeable about amplifiers than me: I have been hording power amps that i find for cheap (ie used) over the years and a few of them have an audible "buzz" radiating from the case. I do not hear the buzzing through the speakers, just the case. Any idea what this...
  19. A

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

Not sure. i believe that the physical characteristics of the driver plays a big role. I'm playing with the high end eq as i'm typing, and while there is room for boost to my taste, many elements of sound eq alone cannot cover--the 650 will never sound like a planar driver for example. i'm...
  20. A

What are we listening to right now..

huge synthy bassline front and center in the mix. loads of fun percussion way out wide... maybe sampled? super fun song and mix... sounds like they were having fun in the studio
Top Bottom