Search results

1. O

HiFi Technology Flatlined Last Century

There's still innovation to be made out there - maybe not revolutionary, but certainly evolutionary enough to make a difference. The Apple HomePod is not what most people would call hi-fi, but the technology in it, if applied more widely, could be transformative. To correct for room response...
  2. O

Sabaj A30a announced

Based on the product brief it seems like the Axign controller is focused on driving the amplifier chips, it has the PFFB logic and a volume control but not much other processing. The STA309A and the CT7302 earlier in the chain together provide the digital equivalent of a preamp: input selection...
  3. O

Sabaj A30a announced

It's shown in the fourth picture on this post from earlier in the thread where @Roland68 took the lid off an A30a.
  4. O

The pain of being a member of ASR

Life is full of opportunities to learn. A younger me would have gone in with the approach of "so what's it doing to the ones and zeroes to remove the harshness, then?" which probably explains why I didn't have many friends ;) whereas older and wiser me, still just as much an objectivist, would...
  5. O

Sabaj A30a announced

This guide (open the section on bookshelf speakers) broadly echoes @PeterNL's recommendations and adds price categories and speaker preference scores with and without a subwoofer. You should consider a subwoofer, especially if you decide on speakers that don't handle low frequencies very well...
  6. O

Ultimate List of What Matters and What doesn't Matters or Audible Differences

If I went for the highly favoured Elac DBR-62 speakers and followed your guidance that that should be 90% of my budget, I'd be left with under $40 to spend on everything else, and I wouldn't get much of an amplifier for that money. Or, to put it the other way around, I'm not going to spend over...
  7. O

Sabaj A30a announced

A30a every time (but then I would say that, I own one). The A30a is pretty much identical on the inside (except the layout is flipped) to the VMV A2, which outperforms the Audiophonics. The €350 (or more) you save will buy you a lot of great music to listen to on it. :)
  8. O

Sabaj A30a announced

Based on the comments from others about the Bluesound's poor DAC, I'd say you want something with digital inputs. If I didn't already have my A30a and I were in the market for an amplifier with digital inputs, I'd be torn between the A30a and the SMSL AO300. On paper, the AO300 doesn't claim...
  9. O

Sabaj A30a announced

That only has analogue inputs. For something equivalent to the Sabaj, you’d want there to be a full set of digital inputs. SMSL have some neat all-in-one units, but the audio quality, power, and configurability won’t be the same.
  10. O

Sabaj A30a announced

If you want an amp with a subwoofer output, this is the best you're going to get. The Audiophonics DA-S250NC has a pre out which you could use for a subwoofer, assuming your subwoofer has its own LFE crossover and volume adjustment - but then you'd still be getting full range out of the main...
  11. O

A Call For Humor!

F U N E X?
  12. O

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Perfect for listening to rock music. (Sorry @Holdt - you may be able to resist but I can't.)
  13. O

Sabaj A30a announced

Based on Sabaj's specifications (Qualcomm, supporting LDAC and apt-X HD), an educated guess says it's probably the QCC51xx series, possibly the QCC5125. Unfortunately, while the nice PCB photo on Sabaj's website shows the Bluetooth module in the front left corner, it doesn't have enough detail...
  14. O

Sabaj A30a announced

Not really. VMV's marketing material just cribbed the diagram from Axign. For the Sabaj, they drew their own diagram. From what I've seen of the PCBs (look back through this thread), they are pretty similar. The differences we know about are that the A2 and A30a have their power supply on...
  15. O

Sabaj A20d 2023 DAC & HP Amp Review

Thanks Sabaj for sending another product to Amir for review. Now could you please send the A30a to him, so that all the owners and fans of it on this forum can finally find out whether it is as good as we think it is? ;)
  16. O

Sabaj A30a announced

Yes, and those measurements don't tell the whole story. Look at how the A2 has a perfectly flat frequency response across the audible range, and the power versus distortion graph showing equal performance across the frequency range. All that without connecting the amplifier up to an actual...
  17. O

Sabaj A30a announced

Overall, if the A30a performs like the VMV A2 (which we all assume it does), it’s a substantially better amplifier. Take a look at the A300 review. Scroll down to the comparison chart; the A300 is towards the bottom of the green range while the A2 is the last of the “excellent” blue category.
  18. O

USB to SPDIF?

If your ones and zeroes are in red light and you need them on copper, you could use one of these.
  19. O

A Call For Humor!

Anyone wanting a law firm that's easy to deal with should stay away from Wright Hassall.
  20. O

Sabaj A30a announced

If you don't have the subwoofer yet, you'll want to go into the menu and set the subwoofer frequency to "off". Obviously, once you have the subwoofer, you'll then want to go back to that setting and change it to whatever works best with your speakers and subwoofer.
Top Bottom