Search results

1. D

Sennheiser HDV-820 USB DAC & Headphone Amp Review

Sorry yes you're right. I was probably thinking of the low sensitivity and assuming high impedance.
  2. D

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Speaker Review

In some UK shops, the M16 is currently on sale at £599, which is only £250 more than these 80th Anniversary Dentons. It's still a leap, just a lot less than $900.
  3. D

Yes, it does worse with them according to the measurements here. But the Expanse is high impedance and this was not great for that either.
  4. D

Oh dear. I demoed the DCA Expanse and this was the HPA in the demo setup. I was so underwhelmed I knew something was amiss with this rather than the Expanse so thought I'd look it up and sure enough... I wish it wasn't profitable to create such garbage.
  5. D

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

Hi, sorry if this is mentioned somewhere in the last 60 pages but is the alignment supposed to adjust each speaker with the same EQ or does it tune per speaker to correct for reflections only one side of the room? I ask because I've been trying out KH 150s and they're louder on my right side...
  6. D

RSL C34E MKII In-Ceiling Speaker Review

Yeah, KEF's coaxial approach seems to be the way to go, especially if you want it to sound the same at all angles, e.g. off-centre of your HT or just other rooms where you want some music through the ceiling. Amir reviewed the ci200rr-thx and it's the best ceiling speaker I've seen so far. But...
  7. D

PrimaLuna Dialogue Seven Tube Amp Review

Cool. But it's so expensive, no control knobs and... RCA input?? Where am I supposed to plug in my electric guitar?
  8. D

Avantone CLA-10 (Yamaha NS-10M Clone) Review

"...and if it sounds great on this... well, you've done something wrong and should probably start over."
  9. D

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

Is that definitely a resonance at 334Hz? It doesn't correspond to the resonances visible in the decay graph or driver components graph, and the absolute level of distortion doesn't grow at that point with SPL, except at 96 dBSPL where it's dwarfed by broader distortion that is actually higher on...
  10. D

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

I think without attention to placement and room treatment that's going to be far from 'perfect'. Certainly some sweet kit though.
  11. D

Cocktail Audio X45 Streamer/Ripper/DAC Review

I actually meant multichannel analog out, but thanks for pointing out it only has stereo ADAT - something not so clear in the spec. Also no mic pre... I suppose you may want an external phono stage then - still in budget. I'm certainly happy with putting together and using a setup with a PC and...
  12. D

Topping E50 / L50 Impressions

I'd expect the RME UFX II to sound similarly good, though with less max volume... Perhaps it outdoes the L50 in some way, or perhaps there's a problem with your L50. It might be possible to measure your L50 and UFX II headphone outputs yourself using the UFX's own analog inputs, to compare the...
  13. D

Cocktail Audio X45 Streamer/Ripper/DAC Review

AES/EBU is more common if you look at pro gear (which you probably are using if you have them). For example you could go RME ADI-2 PRO FS if you need all the io (plus ADAT and multichannel output). You'd get better performance, plus eq (I think I'm right in saying this can emulate a phono...
  14. D

Topping LA90 Discrete Amplifier Review

That's such a shame. I was getting close to ordering one myself. Thanks @anphex, @aphysically, @LesterNZ for sharing. Maybe I'll take part in the next round of UAT if Topping can resolve this first wave of problems...
  15. D

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

For those wishing for HDMI input, the Bluesound Node N130 has eARC input and it also has sub out, which both make it an option worth considering in a stereo AV setup. You still get Roon plus a bunch of non-Roon local/internet sources. Performance is considerably behind the Eversolo, but add a...
  16. D

Kali LP-6 2nd Wave Experience

Yeah, but bear in mind that's with no computer fans or people around. A car going by a few blocks away is much louder. I keep the speaker volume at exactly mid-way, and for a floor noise check, no input. For the sake of completeness, I had a Topping E50, (on standby, not that it produces any...
  17. D

I think Neumann tend to be among the best for minimal hiss in actives, and some seem pretty reasonable prices for the performance, but I've not heard them myself.
  18. D

For my two cents, the hiss from the LP6 v2 starts to get lost in the quiet room noise floor / my tinnitus when I'm about 2m away (on axis), and the tone of it is quite low and inoffensive. I find that to be extremely quiet for a powered monitor, my point of reference being the other extreme -...
  19. D

JPS Superconductor V USB Cable Review

Heh yeah. The first article I read neglected to mention that, but even so I'm sure someone would try it if they're spending this much on cables in the desperate hope of improving the sound.
  20. D

JPS Superconductor V USB Cable Review

Even if it is a superconductor it's about to become obsolete: https://physicsworld.com/a/evidence-for-near-ambient-superconductivity-found-in-lutetium-hydride/
Top Bottom