Search results

1. bjmsam

amplifier specifications and speaker balance

Another data point: when powered by one channel of a GFA-5802, the C speaker plays 2dB louder than when powered by the bridged channel of the GFA-2535. Below is the table updated with its specs and XT32 adjustments for LCR balance. I used my SPL meter to verify that the delta remains constant...
  2. bjmsam

C does not have attenuation switches, but L and R switches are at 0dB.
  3. bjmsam

The MLP is 15 feet (4.5 meters) from the midrange driver of all three speakers. According to the AR9 specifications: "1 watt will produce 87dB SPL on axis at one meter." The sensitivity also is provided in German DIN standard format: :) "8 watts are necessary to produce a sound pressure level...
  4. bjmsam

In my home theater, the L+R speakers are Acoustic Research (Teledyne) AR9 driven by an Adcom GFA-585 amplifier while the C speaker effectively is the top section of an AR9 driven by the bridged channel of an Adcom GFA-2535 crossed over at 200Hz. Audyssey XT32 on my Denon AVR-X4000 balances...
  5. bjmsam

Capital Audiofest 2022 - November 11th-13th

They sounded great and were extremely well integrated with the subwoofer array distributed around the room. Super cool!
  6. bjmsam

I completely agree, attended with expectations managed, wasted no time on several rooms that were ridiculously over the top (feasts for eyes more than ears), and appreciated more sensible rooms such as the aforementioned one sponsored by the DC HiFi Group (highlighted in the video below with...
  7. bjmsam

Two friends and I were fortunate to have the Linkwitz room (650) mostly to ourselves when we stopped by today and thoroughly enjoyed hearing a live recording of The Double Planet by Michael Hedges, which seemed well suited.
  8. bjmsam

I look forward to hearing these today after seeing this overview posted yesterday!
  9. bjmsam

I spent a few hours there today and will return tomorrow for more (so much to see and hear!). The Vandersteen KĒNTO Carbon (in the Executive Lounge sponsored by Now Listen Here) sounded great. So did the DR Audio Works Model 1 (in room 661 sponsored by the DC HiFi Group). And the Perlisten...
  10. bjmsam

Vintage Speakers Worth Owning Today?

Millersound is an excellent option for those in the USA uncomfortable with DIY refoaming or reconing.
  11. bjmsam

You are entitled to your opinion, which differs from mine. Recent sales of AR-3a indicate that others consider them worth more. From AR-3a Technical Data as posted on HFE and attached to the Restoring the AR-3a thread on CSP:
  12. bjmsam

Maybe click the link in my post for a list of recent sales at those prices.
  13. bjmsam

Folks paying $2k - $3k for AR3 seem to disagree, so perhaps they are worth selling today? ;)
  14. bjmsam

Audyssey Room EQ Review

My AVR volume was set to -25dB for the measurements I posted. It typically is between -10dB and -16dB for movies (depending on title and audience) and as low as -40dB for other listening (background). With AUD FLAT DEQ 10, the sound is terrific throughout that range.
  15. bjmsam

Audyssey Room EQ Review

The extra control would be nice, but it's pretty close to what I want (more room treatment required for 200Hz-400Hz).
  16. bjmsam

Audyssey Room EQ Review

Yes. Below is a more complete picture with exaggerated Y axis (30dB) to accentuate differences between FLAT and REF for all DEQ offsets. Each trace is an RMS average of sweep measurements taken at five positions within the MLP using the Audyssey microphone (rather than my UMIK-1 in order to...
  17. bjmsam

Audyssey Room EQ Review

That is what the graph I posted depicts. Audyssey ON (with MRC) pulls it down and Audyssey FLAT (without MRC) pushes it up.
  18. bjmsam

Audyssey Room EQ Review

Below is an example of the difference I measured between Audyssey OFF (red) vs. Audyssey ON (blue) vs. Audyssey FLAT (green). Were my speakers "designed to have that dip?" Audyssey merely applies whatever adjustments it needs for the speakers to achieve the target response in the room.
  19. bjmsam

Do any Speakers emulate the 90s Acoustic Research 'Holographic' Upward Tilted Woofer but Horizontal Tweeter?

For reference, the Holographic Series (@1990) brochure is posted on CSP. ...and in a smaller (but still appropriately large) room, my AR90 with 10" woofers (left) perform just as well as my AR9 with 12" woofers (right). Key innovations of the AR-9 Series (1978-1981) are described in...
  20. bjmsam

Frequency, Amplitude, Distance

...and from the Share your in-room measurements? thread: Small Room and Loudspeaker Interaction has a section on Boundary Loading that seems relevant and consistent with what my speakers were engineered to accommodate (pages 5-7) when placed against the front wall (pages 16-20). Additional...
Top Bottom