Search results

1. W

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Class D Purifi amp

I couldn't measure it so far, but I'll try to measure it at the speaker output as soon as I got the setup to do that. I know, trained ears and stuff means nothing here (audio engineer for 15 years) but it just sound noticeably duller to my ears. I usually don't trust my ears, but I went back and...
  2. W

10:1 is the bare minimum, I like 100:1 better, especially driving a balanced connection with a small DAC power supply. My E70 (100ohms or so) sounds significantly different when the buffer is bypassed (slightly less top end and less punchy) and even with a simple resistive load in between it...
  3. W

One thing that annoys me about this amp is, that the input impedance falls to 4.4k when in low gain mode, because the buffer is bypassed. I would love to have a buffered input without messing up my whole gain structure. And I don't want to have to buy a preamp just to to remedy this problem (DAC...
  4. W

Absolutely Preposterous Denafrips DAC Reviews

Yes, unfortunately this is the world we live in.
  5. W

Absolutely Preposterous Denafrips DAC Reviews

I have some "flat" ethernet cables (for tight fits, not for "audiophile" reasons) and I can guarantee you, they are still twisted pair cables. I've had to cut them a few times and crimp on new plugs. They are all twisted pair cables, they have to be, there are regulations for that kind of thing.
  6. W

DAC under 1500USD with top performance volume control

Yes, that's true, but I don't see anyone needing that kind of power at home. I use volume levelling in Roon and -3dB Headroom Management because of the Room EQ and STILL -0dB on the DAC is unbearably loud. And I'm someone who likes it loud.
  7. W

DAC under 1500USD with top performance volume control

I use a Topping E70 directly into a power amp with the volume control on the DAC. I had an SMSL SU-9n before on which, for some inexplicable reason, I didn't like the built in volume control at all. I would have loved to use it but it straight up sucked. Can't fathom why. On the Topping I have...
  8. W

Technical documentation for JBL L100 Classic Tweeter (JT025TI1-4)

The caps are Panasonic and Vishay film caps (looks like they come from the same factory) for industrial applications. Phenomenal specs and they last for a thousand years. If you need big values to replace the electrolytic caps they tend to get huge... I moved the XO-point down by about 40hz...
  9. W

ROON CORE ADEQUACY

I use a ThinCentre M93p with ROCK OS. Didn't run into any problems changing the BIOS settings to Roon's needs.
  10. W

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

Maybe one of the cables is defective (most likely capacitance or inductive properties) in way, that sounds good to you? You won't find a modern amp, that's bad enough to care about any other electric properties of a straight wire.
  11. W

I think they look pretty good! I normally have the grills on, though. As you see they're in horizontal orientation with the tweeters on the inside, as god intended haha I know JBL said they can be used near field, but I always felt they're best from 1.5 to 2.5 meters away. You can really use...
  12. W

Sounds fantastic! A lot more detail above 10khz and dispersion is so much better. I can recommend this upgrade 100%. The faceplate is 2mm thicker than the old one, but a 125mm rotary sander fits the cabinet hole perfectly and it took me about 20 minutes to flush mount them. I reinforced the...
  13. W

Update: The JT025TI1-4 tweeters have arrived and I measured and installed them. They are indeed a drop-in replacement for the old 052ti. They measure 96dB SPL/1W and around 4 Ohms DC resistance, like the 052ti. Luckily, they also fit the 4412a cabinet without modifications (apart from new screw...
  14. W

It's also a much more modern tweeter, with soft surround and a much stiffer titanium dome and a ferrofluid cooled voice coil. 30 years of engineering and material science between them. But I'm also very curious how much better it can be.
  15. W

Seems like the real thing. I wouldn't trust the specs, though.
  16. W

I don't mind at all! I settled on a pretty stiff, closed cell damping foam from a camera case. I cut it so it protrudes 8mm from gap behind the dome and gets compressed when you reassemble it. It's pretty easy to do, since JBL prided themselves on their "field serviceable tweeters" in their pro...
  17. W

In the 4412a it should cross at 4k, but that's generally not that big of a problem for a tweeter in a 3way design. The "big" problem is, that the 052ti is rated at 96dB/1W at 8 Ohms, that is very, very efficient. The level matching will be the problem with the new tweeter. I have some hope...
Top Bottom