Search results

1. JeremyFife

What was your best (and worst) audio purchase for the dollar?

Best, and worst :) is the Topping PA5 amplifier My first foray into a measurement-based purchase, this change in thinking stopped my "hi-fi" upgrade plans dead and saved me a ton of money. But ... I was an early adopter, buying soon after Amirm's review and before the problems were reported...
  2. JeremyFife

Help Shape Our Next Innovation: The ZA5 Balanced Power Amplifier!

Seems to me that; The low, budget, end of the market is reasonably well covered with <200$ products - including by yourself. The mid-upper end, > 700$, is good too with plenty of choice from good quality suppliers. There's a gap in the market for the step up from budget. The sort of behaviour...
  3. JeremyFife

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Second Franz Schubert, but the further back you go the more candidates there are for untimely demise Amy Winehouse left too early, as a songwriter as much as a performer. Kirsty Maccoll is missed. For me though: John Martyn ... I'd love to have heard what he matured into
  4. JeremyFife

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET (Purifi) vs dual mono Icepower 1200as1

If there is no audible noise (hiss) in the quiet passages and no distortion or clipping when you go loud, and you like the sound ... save your money, resist the urge to change for the sake of change and just put more music on! Purifi should measure better, but you won't hear it. If you get...
  5. JeremyFife

Understanding studio monitors

I don't know anything about your Sven speakers, but they are bigger and more powerful than the Edifiers (as you know) https://www.sven.fi/gr/catalog/multimedia_2.0/stream_mega.htm?sphrase_id=3242599 Just that, even if the Edifiers are "better" can perhaps make them seem more "fun": more base...
  6. JeremyFife

Can you hear any audible difference if they are measured as audibly transparent?

Sometimes I'll see it one way, sometimes another depending on all sorts of factors. If I was buying a device to view this image on, and if accuracy mattered to me, I'd read the specifications and look at the technical reviews. I'd buy a technically competent device and then I would know that...
  7. JeremyFife

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

Thanks for another great review. I was initially put off by some of the constraints with EQ; USB only, no channel differentiation. Then I gave myself a good talking to - it's only a couple of hundred $ and it's whistle-clean. Pretty outstanding really.
  8. JeremyFife

WiiM Ultra

Preview announced https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/wiim-ultra-teaser/
  9. JeremyFife

Integrated amp/stereo receiver

I know - that's the C3050, with hdmi, that you were asking about (isn't it)
  10. JeremyFife

Integrated amp/stereo receiver

Have you seen this: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/nad-c3050-le-measurements.42378/
  11. JeremyFife

Need Help in building 2.1 system

Hi, The usual starting point is that electronics don't make all that much difference and you get the biggest improvements by upgrading speakers - and by using room correction or EQ to adjust how your speakers interact with your room. Your speakers are ok, and you can't upgrade them with your...
  12. JeremyFife

Where does quantization noise come from.

My head hurts a little bit :) What I'm taking from this is that there is only the yellow signal (quantized). It is only when we compare that (externally to the audio process) to the original input (green) that we can measure the difference (red, noise). What we are calling 'noise' is a...
  13. JeremyFife

About design philosophy _ are minimalists right or not ?

Consider a pre-amplifier (or a device providing the functionality of one): simple, minimalist design might be good. Adding more components is no longer minimalist, but might be more robust and last longer. Add in much more complex circuitry for DSP and it's better at producing sound...
  14. JeremyFife

Bi-amping, searching amp for low tones

Presumably you then also need an active crossover? I'm a bit confused to be honest :) Edit: I'm definitely confused ... the XO4 is the crossover, I realise that now. I see how this would work but it seems like a lot of money to spend with no guarantee that the results would be audible
  15. JeremyFife

Bi-amping, searching amp for low tones

Can I ask - how much does it cost for the 'active' modification? It may be that it is cheaper, or a better use of money, to simply change the speakers. You could get a fully active setup instead.
  16. JeremyFife

What amp would you buy?

So, if I understand; Eversolo => analogue => Pre-Amp (input 1) => Power-Amp => Speakers and Yamaha DSP A2 => analogue => Pre-Amp (input 2) => Power-Amp => Speakers Can you change to this? Yamaha DSP A2 => digital => Eversolo => New Power-Amp => Speakers What else is your Yamaha driving? how...
  17. JeremyFife

What amp would you buy?

A nice, beefy, Purify or Hypex Nx500 will sort you out :) My inclination would be to run your Eversolo directly into that new amp, but you said that you have additional requirements. I wasn't sure what you meant about using your pre-amp for pass-through to your Home Theatre system (I understand...
  18. JeremyFife

What amp would you buy?

Agreed ... but not enough to regularly drive a 70W @ 8ohm amp into clipping unless the music has a massive dynamic range in the bass (organ music?). It's something I'd want to explore before spending money.
  19. JeremyFife

What amp would you buy?

A couple of thoughts; The Benchmark AHB2 is a well regarded, bulletproof, alternative that you might like. Alternatively the manufacturers recommended above are great too. You won't go wrong. I'd still try to get an answer for why you are experiencing clipping. Even at a 4m listening...
  20. JeremyFife

What amp would you buy?

Quick update: how far from your speakers do you normally sit, and what sort of budget are you thinking about?
Top Bottom