Search results

1. G.R.Waters

Using Cheap Laptop as Music Server

I bought two fanless minipc as in pic for 65 EUR each, used them happily with Daphile as multiroom players for half a year, then tried Roon and set them as squeezebox endpoints feeding dacs via USB, served by Roon Rock on a more powerful NUC caring for convolution for REW filters. The only issue...
  2. G.R.Waters

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Thank you for the exhaustive, very clear answer and the link to stereophile test. In all my googling for this speakers before the purchase and in setting them up it never came as a link. Funny to see that in placing them I started 4.5m far away from listening point near the front wall and ended...
  3. G.R.Waters

Thanks! It's within budget of 2X pa5, so it is feasible.
  4. G.R.Waters

Sorry, no... as I wrote I'm lost in figures. I had also an 2X EL34 22W/8hm in triode tubes plugged for a while and the sound was comparable to xa160, so I thought it was more a question of dip impedence rather than Wattage. Anyway if not one not even 2X pa5 would do?
  5. G.R.Waters

I've read here and there post on pa5 being able to drive certain speakers or not, not to go lower than 2 ohms and similar, so here is my case - and forgive me but I was never good at math and even if I rougly understand the notions it's still too technical for me to place down the numbers on the...
  6. G.R.Waters

Topping D90se

Sorry not to be of help, then. The other member in different post wrote it happened only in pre mode. I gave up well before attempting a DAC only solution and circumvent the issue in different ways: see my posts and following from...
  7. G.R.Waters

Good Preamp DAC Streamer with network volume control

I have 3 nodes 2i around the house and a huge FLAC library. I liked the BlueOS system, the UI, the effortless handling of terabytic library in NAS or USB HDD, functions etc.... Then I bought Roon and the beauty of the Node fell like autumn leaves, leaving the nude branches of a extermly poor...
  8. G.R.Waters

Topping D90se

Probably the popping noise will stop if you switch the D90se from Pre+dac to DAC-only mode and use the volume control of the Node ... considering the quality of the IR remote and the IR learning function of the Node, you may even turn in something responsive at angled position or distance the...
  9. G.R.Waters

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Agreed, useful... but you made an already addictive real-time frequency graph and level meters even more beautiful with the new firmware optional colours. It's my permanent screen settings and I can hardly depart from it.
  10. G.R.Waters

Topping D90se

pity there is no "dislike" button for such kind of statements from producers. Besides the popping / crackling noise between albums, have you perceived any difference in Sound? IMHO shouldn't be any, given the tiny difference in measurements and, personally, I cannot tell an AK from ESS chip in...
  11. G.R.Waters

Topping D90se

Mind that many Tidal albums are 44.1 encoded even if marked MQA. Tidal is not very transparent on the matter, nor BlueOs, and the MQA icon does not necessarily mean higher res encoding. I discovered it with Roon (see pics). Besides Qobuz is more transparent on the matter. Both the Node and D90se...
  12. G.R.Waters

Topping D90se

Same here with similar chain: see my posts https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d90se-review-balanced-dac.24235/page-103#post-1011168 and following, using Roon (no matter if local music, or Qobuz), with another member using instead Audirvana (if I remember...
  13. G.R.Waters

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Having both as well (the D90se supposedly bought to replace the ADI-2) I subscribe enterely. For sound clarity I believe there are maybe subtle differences coming from the applied filtering. Other than what mentioned above I may add in favor of RME: built quality (see my previous post on...
  14. G.R.Waters

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Mea maxima culpa! Only after having updated the ADI-2 firmware I realized that since the first days I set it up I run it with "LOUDNESS" mode ON (so DSP) . I have to conclude that according to your correct statement my subjective perception of "deeper" soundstage than D90se is probably due to...
  15. G.R.Waters

Another reason to have the RME in the living room main system and the D90se on the right side of my desk, at hand: practically I never use its remote... but in the trial sessions in the living room I noticed the very narrow working angle of the IR receiver. The remote itself was instead powerful...
  16. G.R.Waters

Well, thanks anyway: you spared me the useless job of trying and set back the only pair of XLRs on the 1st system. ;) Tomorrow I'll try to set Roon streaming oversampled at default 96 or 192 kHz and see. Then I run out of free solutions and learn to live with the glitch, in case.
  17. G.R.Waters

Thanks. Sorry, I was not clear enough. I meant: when you used the D90se as pre and experienced the noise, were you using RCA or balanced output? I just tried as alternative to feed the D90se with a cheap MiniPC running Daphile as Roon endpoint but as far as I use USB to RCA signal the glitch...
  18. G.R.Waters

Thanks for the reply and hint. Considering that in this 2nd system the only source used is the PC I rather live with the (small) glitch or control the volume through Roon than further extending my budget for a pre (which I don't use even in the 1st system, where the competitor RME ADI-2 sits)...
  19. G.R.Waters

In my case it does not depend on the player app only: I have the same issue at bit-rate change, but only when D90se is connected to W10 PC working as Roon core via USB, while there is no noise if D90se is fed the same Roon music (Qobuz or FLAC library doesn't matter) via a Bluesound Node2i ...
  20. G.R.Waters

You are not alone... and I may add a 3rd member with the same issue, found in another topic: see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/rme-adi-2-fs-version-2-dac-and-headphone-amp-review.13379/page-90#post-1006506. Sorry for coming late, but I just bought it. Please also...
Top Bottom