Search results

1. 2ndHarm

Some actually believe that music from different drive types (SSD,HDD) or different SATA cables can sound different

That's awesome. But I would imagine there are cheaper options. However, even at that price - a cartridge costs $100-200 for 18-45 TB and would enable a way to securely store huge amounts of data for a reasonable price.
  2. 2ndHarm

Some actually believe that music from different drive types (SSD,HDD) or different SATA cables can sound different

I think we find in the real world here that people have little understanding about how music is digitized then streamed to and from digital media. Our modern drives can move gigabits/sec. and there are still people who think there would be differences streaming music that requires 1/1000 of that...
  3. 2ndHarm

I'm still trying to divine your thought processes here. Are you saying that there may be differences in the way data bits and bytes are stored on SSDs vs. HD drives that would make a difference in the sound when streamed to a DAC and converted to analog? Further to your comment - comparing DACs...
  4. 2ndHarm

We used to do that all the time. They were called tape backup drives and were the only way to store large amounts of data offline or near offline storage. I had a Sony Datcorder that saved music in digital form to tape that I used for years. The benefit of digital .wav files is that I could make...
  5. 2ndHarm

S'true. My NAS which is in another room elsewhere in the house makes a bit of noise while seeking which you can only hear when it's quiet. But, yes - the SSDs are silent. The best thing for music or video streaming from any kind of storage device is a good sized RAM buffer.
  6. 2ndHarm

I stream music all the time from SSDs or even over WIFI to my NAS which uses commercial quality rotating hard drives without issue. Honestly, the requirements for audio PCM transfer is so low compared to things like streaming video, that this shouldn't ever be an issue. Now, a slow computer will...
  7. 2ndHarm

Loudspeaker resolution measurement.

Your friend might be used to listening with headphones, or his system has an exaggerated high end that he's become used to so he measures all systems based on his personal experience. Likely has little to do with reality as others have said here. Many people don't realize that the quality of...
  8. 2ndHarm

Mytek Liberty DAC & Headphone Amp Review

People who are red/green colorblind cannot tell the difference between red/greens of equal intensity. I have relatives I have to help in some situations LOL. Going with Red/white overcomes this issue. I also like the "red is right" mnemonic. Red/black combinations are also useful. Again with...
  9. 2ndHarm

Instead of connecting RCA preamp output to XLR pwrd speakers, could I use balanced 4.4 mm headphone jack to XLR?

I noticed noise like that when using the output from my PC to drive my DACs. There was light background noise from the power supply - you could hear it going up and down as the computer consumed power, first for battery charging and then to run the CPU and other peripherals like memory, etc...
  10. 2ndHarm

Are you a Subjectivist or an Objectivist?

I agree - which is one of the reasons I buy Astell & Kern equipment. I've bought used for years because of the cost new and been very pleased with the neutral sound and dead quiet background. There are manufacturers who make claims as we all know that aren't substantiated with measurable facts...
  11. 2ndHarm

Agreed. Engineers have great incentive to create equipment that has better SINAD than the competition - not because it's audible, but because it's a measurable improvement that can be exploited by marketing to justify price increases and/or greater sales. In that sense, you get what you pay for...
  12. 2ndHarm

That's very interesting. So, do people not notice that as they age (or that their hearing is slowing degraded by factory noises or loud music) their perception of the range of music becomes compromised? Would they not try to mitigate this to some extent - even unconsciously? I knew many older...
  13. 2ndHarm

I recognize those problems you're talking about. My computers are extremely unreliable at playing music - the processor interrupts playback as it does other things at the same time - causing stutter (you call it jitter, but that's another thing altogether) during playback. You don't need to...
  14. 2ndHarm

An interesting discussion might be the difference in fidelity between one speaker and the next when compared by different people. As we get older, most of us suffer from a loss of high frequency sensitivity. Our ability to hear sounds above 10-12 KHz pretty much drops off as we enter our autumn...
  15. 2ndHarm

There are a lot of anti-science people out there who are annoyed that measurements would un-settle their preformed notions about what they hear so they fight like heck to prove that their opinion somehow trumps any real information you throw at them. I am disappointed like you that someone...
  16. 2ndHarm

Cold temp in room damages speakers?

I've owned several Mackie PA speakers and monitors over the years. The manuals speak about using them in cold conditions (think outdoor concerts). They recommend warming them up slowly at lower volumes for 15-20 minutes before going to higher power to prevent damage to the speaker surrounds.
  17. 2ndHarm

Ha - that would be a perfect test - I imagine he wouldn't want to try it because it would so readily show that different cables don't have any effect.
  18. 2ndHarm

Does he respond to facts? HDMI 2.0 supports a maximum bandwidth of 18 Gbps, which is enough to handle 4K resolution at up to 60Hz, or 1080p at up to 240Hz. In comparison, DisplayPort 1.4 has a maximum bandwidth of 32.4Gbps, which opens up much greater resolution and frame rate potential.
  19. 2ndHarm

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

I was so desperate to make noise and pop free recordings from my records that I would place drops of distilled water on the vinyl ahead of the cartridge. That made things as quiet as I could manage. Once CDs came along, I eagerly abandoned my record listening in favor of digital.
  20. 2ndHarm

Sony WH-1000MX3 - any good? Currently £160 at amazon.co.uk

Like others here, I find my XM4s a bit bass heavy and treble shy. They are easy to listen to, last for a decently long time on their battery (and recharge quickly) and have great noise cancelling (in the house anyway). If I want to listen to something more accurate, I slip on my Sennheiser HD...
Top Bottom