Search results

1. M

McIntosh 1700 phono stage

I have a friend who owns (and loves) a McIntosh 1700 receiver. My question is how would you rate it's phono preamp? Performance-wise, what might it be comparable to that's currently on the market in the way of an outboard phono stage? And what might be a reasonable next step up without breaking...
  2. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Well, guess what sports fans! A light bulb went on and remembered that I have a powered USB hub (mine practically a legacy item) that I'd retired some while back. (My laptop does have a thunderbolt port that's permanently occupied and no blue USB-A port.) Dug it out of a drawer, hooked...
  3. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

All I can say is I do frequently get automated updates. Other than that, this really is a bit above my lay grade.
  4. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Thanks for the thought but this is above my pay grade. I imagine the settings are all default.
  5. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Yes, those two. Can't even remember ever using either with DVDs. Hey r-j, always enjoy your contributions. Don't know if you noticed my query a few posts back: "Can't find the post that suggested "using a USB hub with a dedicated power supply." I think it was restorer-john. Hey r-j if you see...
  6. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Shall we observe a moment of silence for all legacy formats?
  7. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Two different LG units: SP80NB60 and AP70NS50
  8. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Can't find the post that suggested "using a USB hub with a dedicated power supply." I think it was restorer-john. Hey r-j if you see this or anyone out there, got a recommendation for a specific powered USB hub? I don't want to spend my $$ blindly even if it's just a small investment.
  9. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

As I said, I can import from the one to my computer with the one and burn from my computer to a blank disc with the other but not visa versa. Not sure what I can add to that.
  10. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

I'm one of those old farts who, alongside my up to date tech, love my "legacy" gear. I actually sometimes play LPs. Wow! At my age I'm never going to get around to transferring all of my cassettes to digital. And with my arthritis those tiny controls on a thumb drive are just beyond me. And...
  11. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Also please educate me about M-DISCS. What are their virtues?
  12. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

This seems like a lot of $$ for an external optical read/write drive but I might consider it if it would perform more reliably than the two modestly priced (not bottom of the line cheap) LG units I have. Between the two I can generally do anything I need but they don't both do everything equally...
  13. M

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

Circling back to one of the earliest offering to this thread, another marvelous Korean vocalist
  14. M

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

She's new to me but on checking her out (YouTube, Amazon etc.) my interest is sparked, particularly in this album because of some of the track. Her recordings are generally fairly available . . . except for this one! Any suggestions?
  15. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Actually I need to be a good bloke and get that wounded optical drive to electronics recycling. My almost bad!
  16. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Yeah, I have a friend who needs help with his phono cartridge. And if you saw his LP collection and how marvelously he takes care of them, you would appreciate how much it's worth the trouble. Along with his Klipsch Heresy speakers and refurbished "legacy" Macintosh 1700 receiver. Sometimes it...
  17. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Just ordered myself a supply CMC discs from Sweetwater. - Finally was able to determine why I had two two outboard USB optical drives: The older one had gotten unreliable; it is currently living in my wastebasket. - The CMCs will serve me for straight up copying for sharing, mostly from mpeg...
  18. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Delightful, your post. Especially the bit about so many ASR members having the holy grail of how we should all best enjoy our music. And you refreshed my memory as to the fact, I believe, that the data CDRs that play on component units were recorded from computer files via external burner, NOT...
  19. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Oh dear me, so many perfectly valid and very different opinions. What I deplore is the tunnel vision that rejects the possibility that what is sauce for the goose may not be sauce for the gander. For instance: I love using thumb drives when it suits me but there are ways that a "legacy"...
  20. M

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Among several useful (and one snarky!) responses to my inquiry, yours have been the most thoughtful and useful. So I'm circling back to you: You mentioned two TDK possibilities, the NOS and the RXG. And I do see that they are both designated for audio. My question is how do you think I would...
Top Bottom