Search results

1. A

Cheap class D amps. Andrew Robinsons take.

I have Magnepan speakers with a sensitivity of 83.7 dB/2.83V based on a review. I estimate required power this way. I play a CD track and set the volume control at my normal listening level (about 80-85 dB SPL). I then used the REW software to generate 1 kHz at 20 dB below full scale and measure...
  2. A

Focal Chora 816 Speaker Review

I was surprised also. My first thought was that I had misinterpreted the oscilloscope scale and the voltage was off by a factor of ten, but that would make no sense because then I would be content with a 5W amplifier. I should have emphasized that these transients are very short, typically 10 to...
  3. A

Focal Chora 816 Speaker Review

Apart from the narrow vertical dispersion and the minor inconvenience of needing equalization, the Focal Chora 816 looks like an excellent speaker. The price is about $500 each in the US, which is still competitive. At higher frequencies. the distortion is greater than that of the Revel M106...
  4. A

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

I'm not enthusiastic about this amplifier. Over the years I've tried several different amplifiers but I always found that my Mackie M1400 sounded the best when driving the front speakers, which are Magnepan MG1.6 planar speakers. I'd assumed it was something subtle, like a weird impedance curve...
  5. A

Vanatoo Transparent One Encore (Powered Speaker)

I think that the intended use for these speakers is for PC monitors. On a stand (or a stack of books) to minimize the reflection off the desk, they have good performance on axis and a LOW-DISTORTION response down to 40 Hz. Good low frequency performance is a real benefitor this use because it's...
  6. A

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Hi all, First of all. a disclaimer. My ears are very old. I tested them with this tone generator: https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator. It told me that my hearing is fine up to 6 kHz but drops off essentially to nothing by 8 kHz. As a result, I can't tell the difference between the EX5 FIR...
  7. A

Crown XLS2502 Stereo Amplifier Review

I bought a pair of Magnepan MG1.6 QR speakers many years ago but they didn't sound very good with the JVC receiver I owned so as soon as I could afford an upgrade I bought a Mackie 1400i on the basis of its specs. I know that specs can be misleading but the power specs seem both impressive and...
Top Bottom