Search results

1. antcollinet

WiiM Ultra

Mainly an exercise to create price willingness. But yes, I'd give it at least 90% they'll go for the lowest option. 0% they'll go for the highest.
  2. antcollinet

WiiM Ultra

As I stated in the post you quoted.
  3. antcollinet

WiiM Ultra

True - we do have an absolute max on the table. But we also know Wiim's plan.
  4. antcollinet

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

I love this place. I'm not sure there are many other places than ASR, where someone will quote C source code to answer a question that is NOT about coding. Thanks - fantastic. :D
  5. antcollinet

Low volume from power amp

If you'd selected headphone, this might make sense. Ipad/Iphone (at least in europe) is requried to limit max high volume on headphones to protect hearing. With "other device" or even better ; "Speaker" there should be no such restrictions. If I were you Id check what it is currently set to -...
  6. antcollinet

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

XKCD has something for all circumstances. A bit USA centric, but applies to the legal basis to FOS around the world...
  7. antcollinet

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

62 and I can hear test tones up to about 13.5Khz. I was not aware though that lower bitrate MP3 implemented low pass filters below 20Khz.
  8. antcollinet

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Probably just a level difference. If you are really interested, you could measure the output voltage (with a voltmeter) with a 60Hz test tone in both modes to check.
  9. antcollinet

WiiM Ultra

All this is meaningless. Wiim are just playing a psychological game with everyone. Give three prices. Ask everyone to vote. They'll all (or at least mostly) vote for the cheapest. Wiim will pick the cheapest. They've just created market price willingness for the $350 they want to charge...
  10. antcollinet

RME DPS-2 Linear Power Supply

Depends on the device. Those with class 1 insulation will have the housing connected to mains ground. More often than not, they'll also have the electronics grounded to that also.
  11. antcollinet

Even so - you won't measure the ground noise at the output of the DAC, but at the other end of the interconnect (ie the input to the amp). And if you are only testing the DUT (without the rest of the system) then any external noise injection is a fault of your test setup.
  12. antcollinet

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

I take it you didn't do a controlled/level matched/blind comparison. The pro plus DAC is transparent (inaudible noise & Distortion), so unless the Theta is adding significant noise or distortion itself, there should be no audible difference. If it is adding audible distortion, then it is not...
  13. antcollinet

To clarify that a little. There are no differences unless there is a source of external noise injection into the system. The difference between balanced and unbalanced is in their ability to reject external noise, and nothing to do with their inherent (internal) performance. (ignoring typical...
  14. antcollinet

What was your best (and worst) audio purchase for the dollar?

How can it sound mediocre if it is an accurate reproduction of the recording. Unless that particular recording is mediocre. In which case the solution is not to use an amp that makes the reproduction less accurate, but to either; not listen to that recording (why would you want to listen to...
  15. antcollinet

To build on this: First XLR will only help with noise picked up on the interconnect between sender and receiver (typically ground noise, but could also be radiated interference). Any noise generated within the electronics on either side of the interconnect is not impacted. Having said that -...
  16. antcollinet

Furutech NCF Clear Line Review (AC Optimizer)

That's just a black heatsink, isn't it?
  17. antcollinet

Help connecting Blu Ray to Wiim Amp

This. And there won't be any sound degradation - or if there is it will be obvious pops/clicks, and it can be sent back as faulty.
  18. antcollinet

New phono cart needed

Seconded. Fourthed :p
  19. antcollinet

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

OH NO!!! *runs of to buy expensive DACs* Wait...what? - we've heard that one before haven't we? :facepalm: PS - thanks for reading that, so I didn't have to.
  20. antcollinet

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

I'm not convinced it will be entertaining enough for the length. Not going there.
Top Bottom