Search results

1. J

Pioneer VSX-LX505 AVR Review

Audiovision provides multi-channel power output using 1kHz sine wave, 1% THD. Not 8 ohm data, but should be useful. Since the VSA-LX504 has the same power amp section as the VSX-LX505, you should be able to use the data directly. The results below are for the Pioneer VSA-LX504 and Denon...
  2. J

With the "low" spec Burr Brown measuring at -98dBA SINAD and a SNR of -105dBA you won't hear a difference associated with the DAC without leaving your chair. SINAD over 80dB is more a bragging right than audible. The only thing to keep in mind is that there is a train of devices that add to...
  3. J

The fact of the matter is that you cannot hear the difference of any of these DACs when music is playing. Note that the DAC implementation in the Onkyo/Pioneer is getting the most our of the PCM1690 because Amir's measured SINAD is better than the TI specification for the chip. Pretty close to...
  4. J

The RZ50/505 use a Burr Brown PCM1690 for 8 main channels and BB PCM5101A on the remote channels. The RZ70/805 uses 2, ESS ES9026PRO for the main channels and BB PCM5101A on the remote channels. The LX805 is pretty impressive under the hood.
  5. J

Size does matter for music?

If you are running JBL Stage towers (A170), you should have more than sufficient output capability to play loud above a crossover frequency of 80-100 Hz which includes the frequency range from 125-300 Hz. You shouldn't need bigger speakers with 8 to 12" woofers to do this. The issue with the...
  6. J

DCA and Schiit collaboration

Schiit and DCA have a new combo deal. The combo is a Schiit Asgard 3 with the ESS 9028 DAC (black or silver) + Dan Clark Aeon RT. The two can be had for $679 which is a 25% discount for the combo if you select the silver Asgard. A good deal for solid,California made products...
  7. J

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

What part of the measured data says that the tweeter is not up to the task? The tweeter distortion is very low and the tweeter compression is pretty good. The tweeter/woofer distortion in the area of the crossover is also extremely low. From the data, it looks like they could have pushed the...
  8. J

Topping RD3 TP Balanced DAC Review

Sorry, I understood that your "panther rating" was based purely on engineering excellence, not considering price, features, defect audibility or features that you particularly use/don't use. If this is the case, your vote should not count any more than any other's personal vote (hidden in the...
  9. J

Topping RD3 TP Balanced DAC Review

Thanks for the review, but isn't this being a bit generous with the golfing panther? The Toslink and Coax jitter is average at best. It's funny how the language changes in a Topping review. "There is a good deal of jitter over Toslink/Coax"...."Unlikely to be audible" when talking of a...
  10. J

Your help with my first speaker build

I would check out what they have at DIYSG. The Home Theater options are more in tune with early 70's sound/efficiency, however these DIY speakers should have better accuracy than most vintage speakers. Most are ported, not sealed like the Santana. They just don't make many pro-woofers that...
  11. J

Review of the new Schiit URD

A Schiit CD transport at that price would have to be made in large quantities, have a lower end transport and be made overseas, which is not inline with their success formula . There are plenty of CD players that fit this bill already. Schiit is only making 250 Urds for now to see if it sells...
  12. J

Class AB Power Amplifier Recommendations

Seems like the Schiit Vidar 2 exactly meets your needs, sans the SE inputs in stereo. Why not just get some cheap XLR to SE cables as you would save a ton of money on the amp. Later, if you want to power your sub, you have the balanced input to use.
  13. J

Looks like Class D is the only option for ultra clean, high power amplification

LA90's have been a proven reliability disaster....and two? Who cares about low distortion when it clicks and pops! Amir should unrecommend this product until it is proven fixed. Seems like a number of Topping power amps have had issues in the past and the trend continues. If CleanSound must...
  14. J

I don't have issue with Hypex. I just remember the thread below on the Hypex NC252. I think Marantz uses the Hypex NC500 which folks also suggest in the thread. NAD uses Purifi and Hypex UdC modules......which I own (Rythmik sub). Hypex NC252 failed (twice) -- suggestions for replacement...
  15. J

Oh yeah? I’ve been running my steam engine (B&K 202) for over 30 years now. How long did those quadruple zero Topping amps last, 30 hours? I hear of Hypex NC amps crapping out alot as well. I guess those “Ferraris” are about as reliable as a Ferrari.
  16. J

A SINAD of 80 or SINAD of 100 Can You Really Tell The Difference?

No it can't. However, 100 dB SINAD does not provide precise noise information to make a proper decision/calculation. SNR does, which is provided by Amir. A typical 100dB SINAD amp has an SNR of 115 to 125ish. If you have a virtually anechoic room, super efficient speakers, want to hit 120 dB...
  17. J

They are. But the easy route for many is to go to the SINAD......then use it incorrectly. I did not sidestep your question. An amp at -100dB SINAD will likely have a noise level suitable for any situation, but to confirm this you go to the SNR. This says to me that a much more useful gauge...
  18. J

The fact that you have to refer to THD and SNR separately to confirm if the SINAD is ok proves how useless this parameter is. Certainly when SINAD is high, all "problems" go away. All problems except reliability, apparently... Add to that, SINAD is being used as the "new" SNR and also used...
  19. J

No. The value of SINAD is not a useful parameter other than providing a gauge of combined distortion and noise. The value is pretty useless in practice because it mixes values that are individually important in different situations. If you want a amp with no hiss, you don't use SINAD. The...
  20. J

With the SINAD formula, Pnoise and Pdistortion are treated equally, yet the ability to detect these defects is quite different. Distortion needs a signal to be heard. It is either masked by the distortion of the loudspeaker or masked by the many harmonics that are already in the music. I'm...
Top Bottom