Search results

1. mycose

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Here's more information about it: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/strange-smsl-m500-high-3rd-harmonic.22710/ TL;DR: if both channels don't play the same audio signal, the output will have some harmonic distortion. Chances are you won't hear this at all, but you're...
  2. mycose

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

My E70 just arrived today and damn! Topping keeps acing it. Everything is absolutely superb. Under Linux, I'm even able to select a codec from the myriad of supported codecs: SBC, aptX, aptX HD, aptX-LL, LDAC, etc. Surprisingly, when using LDAC + forced HQ mode (990 kbps) there's no stutter, or...
  3. mycose

Tidal reportedly enabling bit-perfect playback to USB DAC on Android

I can also confirm it "just works" on Android 11, even their Most Questionable Audio stuff without having the user do anything. It's such a shame they force DRM garbage on all their users. Imagine if they instead served pure flacs, oh boy.
  4. mycose

Maybe @SHENZHENAUDIO could help us with this one? So we can avoid what happened with eBay sellers (they sold their defective L30 amps). Here's a brief list of new S/N which I've taken from this thread and M500's thread: DAC63164 DAC63137 DAC62252
  5. mycose

Welcome aboard! Currently there's no way to tell if your device is indeed fixed or is a faulty unit (unless you had measurement gear, of course). However, if your unit was shipped directly from China by ShenzhenAudio chances are you got a good unit. What's its serial number?
  6. mycose

I suppose you could, but I wouldn't rely on the mic input of a normal PC since it probably lacks the required sensitivity/resolution (>80-90 SINAD) in order to detect this. Just a few days ago my replacement unit arrived and I did notice very subtle differences between it and my old unit. Also...
  7. mycose

You could email the seller before buying so they can confirm if their units are already fixed. I contacted SHENZHENAUDIO about two weeks ago and they told me all their stock is already updated, but that was in Amazon US.
  8. mycose

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

There should be a white sticker on the right side of the unit. I forgot to mention that I'm talking about SU-9s
  9. mycose

My replacement unit (with the fix) just arrived today, thank you @SHENZHENAUDIO. I did notice a very subtle change between my old unit and the new one, which may or may not indicate if a given unit has the fix. My old unit had what seemed to be a bug with brightness control (turning brightness...
  10. mycose

Most people have said that it doesn't change so there's no way to know unless you have an audio interface or other measurement equipment. Those who have gotten brand new replacements could share the serial numbers of their buggy vs. fixed units. I have an SU-9 (without the fix) with serial...
  11. mycose

Yeah but I think it's better if we leave all of that to the experts. There's a reason why Wolf/ didn't upload the firmware file here, maybe they don't want other manufacturers or people in general to disassemble/reverse-engineer their software. That's okay I guess.
  12. mycose

What's the firmware version on your replacement? Was the harmonic distortion issue still present in the unit SHENZHENAUDIO sent you?
  13. mycose

Even though Topping has had their own issues they at least recalled defective units. They did acknowledge the issue. What about SMSL? Bruh they literally ignored my facebook messages, they didn't even have the decency to at least tell me something like "Screw you we ain't fixing this", not even...
  14. mycose

SMSL SU-9 remote problems

@AudioStudies this is completely unrelated to your post, but would you mind sharing the firmware version(s) of your unit (Settings->Version)? Thank you.
  15. mycose

They haven't even released an official statement about this issue. The only thing you can do is pressure them on facebook, and if you're lucky they might offer you a replacement or the update tool. I personally will just avoid the entire brand and I'll be recommending others not to buy stuff...
  16. mycose

1. As far as measurements go, yes, it is absolute garbage, especially if you consider that even something like this ($75) outperforms this DAC, measurement-wise. 2. Yes, his measurements are repeatable, the thing here is that Amir didn't do a quite rare and particular test. 3. I don't think any...
  17. mycose

Then that could be good news for us. If both wolf or grzlybear upload the firmware here then we could buy a JLink debugger clone and flash the firmware manually by our own hand. It's so laughable the fact that we have to discuss the options we have to fix this device instead of SMSL providing...
  18. mycose

Is it really a standard JLink debugger interface? I can read "Update tool v1.2" on the PCB so I'm not quire sure of that. I also couldn't find anything even remotely similar on aliexpress with the same pinout and looks (this one looks almost like the one in the picture). I really hope they are...
  19. mycose

Lucky you! Shenzhen audio hasn't even recalled old units and they are not willing to send flashing tools to affected customers. I'm wondering... do you think your new DAC sounds any different from your old SU-9? Obviously without all the fancy features (EQ and other stuff). I mean, vanilla vs...
  20. mycose

Even though SMSL really screwed up on this one (and the SU-9), I think their prices are really competitive. If they somehow managed to engineer this DAC properly I really, really doubt there's anything better in the market at the same price with the same features, technical specs and...
Top Bottom