Search results

1. mtg90

Dayton knock down speaker cabinets

Erich cut ties with Parts Express due to them being very shady over the years. What kicked things over the edge started last year. Basically PE starting asking when flatpacks for a PO he never received would be delivered. When he replied that he had not received that PO but he had some of the...
  2. mtg90

DIY spinorama turntables

Here are mine: That one uses a 20" lazy Susan bearing in a recess routed between the two discs which works well, very stable with almost no play and spins extremely smooth: The bigger one (36" diameter, 10ft tall) uses a smaller 12" lazy susan bearing in the middle with fixed casters for...
  3. mtg90

UMIK-1 or any USB MIC unsuitable for timing measurements?

This is how I did it for many years using my UMIK-1 when working with Xsim and PCD before that. It does works well enough to get by on a single axis and can even be used for 3-ways if you measure each pair separately HF/MF and MF/LF one at a time and implement the right delays in software to...
  4. mtg90

Looking for a reasonable second build after C-Notes

I've fixed the links on the AlTi page for the updated part numbers: L2(1.5mH) R1(8 Ohm)
  5. mtg90

Parts Express Orian Speaker Review

Yeah those coaxials were removed from their website a short time after I noticed and made a video about the vented formers which are a no-no when you have an exposed pole like that as it's essentially a bunch of holes between the inside of the cone and outside. They brought back the 4" drivers...
  6. mtg90

C-Note Speaker Kit Major Modification???

On the Nexus TM the response peak in that region (~900hz) was a combination of a on axis peak from baffle diffraction and port resonance, not the driver itself. I suspect it's a similar source for the resonance on the C-note and the odd behavior seen between 700-900hz on the directivity plot...
  7. mtg90

C-Note Speaker Kit Major Modification???

While I am gracious you feel that way about the design, I'm not sure what parts you ordered where it cost $200, I just added up the current cost of the crossover components for the Nexus TM and arrived at only $33.27 per speaker.
  8. mtg90

Does The Inductor, Capacitor or Box Volume Have Most Effect on Impedance?

If the impedance is dropping lower then the DCR of the woofer then it is the crossover implementation causing so. The cabinet itself will never cause the impedance of the woofer to drop below DCR. The inductor by itself in series with the woofer (1st order low-pass) also won't cause impedance...
  9. mtg90

Passive small/medium monitors with waveguides?

The Q of of over 1 was the modeled system q of that driver in the enclosure volume, the use of plenty of fill helps dampen things. The peak also occurs just below the end of the baffle step transition thus it doesn't appear quite as prominent in the full space measurements. Finally the use of...
  10. mtg90

Passive small/medium monitors with waveguides?

Being open to DIY it seems my VBS-10.2 design fits your requirements: https://www.mtg-designs.com/diy-speaker-plans/vbs-10-2
  11. mtg90

JBL M2 Clone

That's the thought I had. If you have damping in there that can be easily removed you could try pulling it out and measuring again, if the bumps change in size/intensity that may provide some insight.
  12. mtg90

JBL M2 Clone

Where was the speaker positioned while you tested the impedance? With large pro sound drivers like this I've noticed even reflections from the room/floor can cause a visible ripple in the measured impedance. Otherwise what's the internal depth of your cabinet? Is it around 12.5"?
  13. mtg90

Great DIY speaker builds (for newbies) to learn about design?

Yeah sorry I forgot that was the main point of the thread, feel free to ignore.
  14. mtg90

Great DIY speaker builds (for newbies) to learn about design?

You may have missed the link to the main design thread for those where more background info is posted: http://www.hificircuit.com/community/threads/the-alti-a-diy-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-design.773/
  15. mtg90

How much distortion comes from ironcoils in loudspeaker crossovers ?

Unlike Air Cores C-coils are still magnetic core inductors, the magnetic core is just a loop shape which greatly enhances inductance allowing for fewer copper windings and therefor lower DCR for a given inductance value. They suffer from hysteresis and saturation distortion just like any other...
  16. mtg90

Class 1 Measurement Microphone 1/2", 1/4" vs class 2 calibrated

I tested my pair of UMIK-1's with the miniDSP calibration files loaded and with the CSL calibration files loaded plotted against my calibrated M23. For further info the two UMIK-1's were also purchased from CSL 7 years apart in 2014 & 2021. A link to the other tests I did was posted a few...
  17. mtg90

Focal ST6, is it okay about diffraction?

A metallic dome tweeter is very easy to deform by a stray bump since the material is so thin, then you're SOL which is why many have their own grills.
  18. mtg90

Heco Aurora 1000 (audioholics review)

Those style inductor bobbins are designed to hold steel laminate cores: So unless they removed the cores and used that shape to save space; which I might add is far from an ideal shape for air cores, I suspect the inductors are all steel laminate I-core rather then air core.
  19. mtg90

They are normalized against the fundamental so the graph is showing the harmonics in terms of percentage of the fundamental. The "shape of the squiggly lines" IS the relationship. You can't graph percentage without normalizing the fundamental first.
  20. mtg90

Those are normalized graphs, the fundamental is at the 100% mark.
Top Bottom