Search results

1. bethslave

Got a Chinese tube amp and now world is upside down

No, not worried at all. Sorry if I gave that impression and actually meant a bit of support to the OP. I'm just thankful for some peaceful enjoyment and discussion!
  2. bethslave

Got a Chinese tube amp and now world is upside down

Question for the OP. Are you still enjoying the amp? I've had a similar experience and now long term relationship with a Gemtune PA1501 which I bought based on this review: https://retrovoltage.com/2016/08/17/reviewing-the-gemtune-appj-pa1501a-6ad10-stereo-tube-amplifier/ I purchased it just...
  3. bethslave

Google Pixel 4a Smartphone Audio Review

I will purposefully resurrect an old thread in case somebody still has one of these. My wife and I both still do. We don't like large phones and the low output voltage has never been a problem for any of the earbuds or IEMs I've thrown at it [most recently the Truthear Crinacle Zero Blue]...
  4. bethslave

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

For me Apple and Bose. I recently purchased an MX-5 Miata which has Bose 'Premium' audio. It is far from premium and the stock system in my Kia Sorento is much better balanced and closer to HiFi.
  5. bethslave

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

I don't have inductance for it yet. I was just thinking last night I need to buy an LCR meter. I believe you're correct about it basically being an M97. What I understood from long ago was that Shure used the same body in many cases and the quality/series was determined by the stylus which was...
  6. bethslave

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

Thank you for testing and posting all of this! I have a soft spot for Shure/RS cartridges. In my vinyl 'prime' years I used a V15 type RS and thought it was about the best thing I'd ever heard. I'm currently using an RXP3 with an upgraded ViVid Line HE stylus. Subjectively I like the way it...
  7. bethslave

Monoprice "Pure Tube" 15 wpc stereo vacuum tube amp - worth review?

Yes, especially: This amplifier adopts transformer parallel output to reduce its internal resistance by half and achieve doubled improvement on its power. I've got just enough basic electronics knowledge to be completely amused and confused by that one. One possibly shouldn't depend on...
  8. bethslave

AB(x) testing of Power Amplifiers

I appreciate all of the explanations and discussion here, I think it has solved a mystery for me. I've been a hifi enthusiast for a very long time now. I grew up reading Julian Hirsch's reviews and appreciating his methodology . I have always believed that all competently designed and...
  9. bethslave

Monoprice "Pure Tube" 15 wpc stereo vacuum tube amp - worth review?

I wondered about the Monoprice Pure Tube amp myself. I didn't pursue it because I couldn't find any objective measurements. I then planned to buy a TubeCube 7 but didn't because I WAS able to find objective measurements indicating that the frequency response dips dramatically above 2 KHz. I...
  10. bethslave

Phillips 388 integrated amp quality ?

I'm surprised nobody has answered. Nice amp! The specs look good and it appears to be incredibly well built. I'm not sure what speakers you want to use with it but anything with normal sensitivity should not be a problem. It will possibly need new power supply capacitors and maybe a few others...
  11. bethslave

What (streaming radio station) are we listening to right now..

Another long time Radio Paradise listener here.
  12. bethslave

The New Advent Loudspeaker Review (Vintage Speaker)

Thank you Amir for this review. I do think reviews of vintage equipment are valuable when the equipment is performing close to the original specifications [as I believe this Advent likely is]. It is so hard these days to listen to speakers/headphones/earbuds before buying them that ideally these...
  13. bethslave

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

With my primary music system yes, though it's quite humble compared to others here. My most recent round of upgrades happened because I decided to start using my turntable again [I have a lot of vinyl that still isn't available in digital formats]. I had a well reviewed Denon mid-range receiver...
  14. bethslave

Spin tests of Advent Loudspeakers?

I will open myself to ridicule and acknowledge I would love to see tests of Advent speakers as well. Want to ridicule me even more? :) I like Jensen-era Advents and am listening to a pair of Baby II's powered by a Gemtune PA1501A APPJ integrated tube amplifier as I type this. I've considered...
Top Bottom