Search results

1. PKAudio

ATC speakers / Monitors

goat76: Nice measurements. My measurements were done between mid and tweeter. Seeing the change ~6dB at 4k between tweeter measurement axis and midrange measurement axis, it got me thinking. When I see measurement at ref axis and -10deg vertically, which is 17cm mic height change at 1m distance...
  2. PKAudio

ATC speakers / Monitors

+1. To elaborate on that topic, mid and tweeter sum well basically wherever you place the mic in the range mic center - tweeter center and distance >0.5m. Of course there are special cases where this is not valid, like longer AMTs, large waveguides etc. The issue starts with mid + woofer...
  3. PKAudio

ATC speakers / Monitors

I do not want to spend a time with it. I do not want to teach anyone. Everything I write comes from practical experience, and anyone experienced with the gated measurements would agree I dare say. Shorter gate time, below 4ms, would further smoothen the curve, leading to information loss higher...
  4. PKAudio

ATC speakers / Monitors

When I am forced by the measurements conditions to shorten the gating I usually try several gating settings to see the effect of the certain gate time. You see it too strict. Mild reflections such from speaker stand etc will not change the overall FR trend at all, they just add the ripples. The...
  5. PKAudio

ATC speakers / Monitors

True, but shorter gating would totaly remove the midrange data and I did not want that. The disturbances are quite small, eye can easily filter out the regular wave pattern in the measurement. We should not automatically disqualify such a measurements just because they are not NFS. Trained eye...
  6. PKAudio

ATC speakers / Monitors

AVMentor SCM40 measurement and my SCM40A measurements match quite well, at least in basic FR shape. NFS would definitely bring more detailed measurements, and definitely accurate bottom end measurement, but I still see my and AVMentor measurements valid and useful. Basic FR shape, off axis...
  7. PKAudio

ATC speakers / Monitors

Fully agree. And even simple edge rounding would bring significant improvement.
  8. PKAudio

ATC speakers / Monitors

SCM40A: As Measurements of ATC speakers generally are quite rare I will add my measurements of SCM40A here. It was improvised measurement, in the living room, speaker on the floor, mic distance 1m, mic height between mid and tweeter. Gating 4ms but there were still some reflections remaining. I...
  9. PKAudio

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

Yes, I agree, I just suggest that those measurements are not comparable so one has to be careful.... It is similar to Stereophile measurements in bass region where they do not apply bafflestep to NF measurement and just do hard stitching, which creates large error depending on baffle width and...
  10. PKAudio

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

Be careful to judge this measurement, not above 1kHz, but below. It is likely measured with mic at the height of the tweeter, with 1m distance. This kind of measurement will not correctly measure the situation between 100-500Hz, as the woofer is measured from high angle, and its relative...
  11. PKAudio

Crossover Component Recommendations

10-30mH inductors with Rdc ~3-4ohm in RLC of woofer or midrange as in Sasandu crossover is the job for ferrite cored coil with the discs and 0.5mm wire (~AWG24). See prices here: https://www.audiohobby.eu/en/5565--jantzen-24awg-05mm-iron-cored-coils-with-discs 10mH 7euro a piece It is nothing I...
  12. PKAudio

How to read measurements of Speakers/Rooms in REW? Esp. Smoothening vs RAW Peaks-Dips

I think it is worth repeat: Measurements conditions and data processing MATTERS! Without those details any interpretation of the measurement results is the guess. People familiar with the measurements and those who make it routinely (in room, FF, NF, outdoor, GPM, gating, smoothing,....) can...
  13. PKAudio

ScanSpeak Revelator 13" subs

What is not overpriced nowadays? 32W is likely too good for just a sub duty, but performance is there, no doubts.
  14. PKAudio

60l volume will be fine. See the modelling for 70l, 2x PR scan speak 30W. 2PRs will keep up with 32W well. Adding weight will be needed to achieve tuning ~20Hz, I just do not know if indicated added mass is for one PR or total added mass. I will check in Vituix manual, and anyway you will need...
  15. PKAudio

I created 3way with this scan speak: https://pkaudio.webnode.cz/ellips-a/ 75l closed box, no EQ needed. Reasonable choices of bass alignment for this driver are following: - closed ~50-70l, with EQ - passive radiator, 2x scan speak 30W passive radiators per in box, system tuning ~20Hz FA501...
  16. PKAudio

Tweeter front plate design

CTRL, very nice study, thank you.
  17. PKAudio

Tweeter front plate design

Exactly my experience from listening and working with a lot of tweeters (really many, from cheap tweeters to Bliesma Be, Mundorf AMT). DXT measures great in optimized faceted baffle and the reasons it was chosen for Directiva are obvious.
  18. PKAudio

Introducing Directiva - An ASR open source platform speaker project

I just recall several experiences where high port tuning lead to boomy and hollow sound, and this tuning was still very reasonable, no hump. Ok, anyway, to be helpful, 20-25liters enclosure, 7cm port diameter, and either more stuffing inside cabinet, or you can try what troels did here in...
  19. PKAudio

It is not about placement in the room, though it could mitigate it. Ok try it, trials and errors.... Just wanted to express that any speaker designer would most most likely stay away from this tuning.
  20. PKAudio

Rick, this kind of tuning rarely sound good. Slow gradual rolloff is what you should strive for. Acc to my sims with Purifi drivers, ~15l seems optimal.
Top Bottom