Search results

1. I

I fixed it !!

You may have seen the fun-filled adventure of my humming turntable, which got deleted because Well, I fixed it. How? By moving it and the preamp over to the other end of the room. Now it's quiet as a tomb. So now I have to decide whether to leave it there (forty feet of cable) or step by step...
  2. I

Does anybody really know what makes turntables hum?

So I set up a normal turntable with a normal (Fidelity Research) tone arm and a normal cartridge and normal cables. And the turntable hums like nuts, way more than one can ignore. I mean, I bought all this normal stuff because I wanted to get rid of hum. And nobody really knows anything...
  3. I

Cermet pots bad, metal film resistors good

Hello. There seems to be a meme that cermet potentiometers sound not-so-good but metal film resistors do. It seems to me that the construction principles of the two are the same. I know that you guys aren't necessarily into how things sound but can it be that cermet pots bad, metal film...
  4. I

Let's talk about light bulbs

Hello. There's a very attractive sine-wave generator circuit in a Texas Instruments App Document. It uses a number 327 incandescent light bulb. The bulbs are reasonably available but the sockets for them cost as much as a week's groceries. But...the bulb is rated 28 volts, one watt. What do...
Top Bottom