Search results

1. R

What advice you wish you could have given to your younger self or someone new to this hobby?

I got some good advice from my older brother when I was young which has served me well, at least when I followed it. “You don’t need everything. But when you decide you are going to get something, get what you really want. Every time. You’ll be better off in the long run.” Don’t justify too...
  2. R

Speaker Cable Ad Fail

That thought did cross my mind. AI is often nonsensical in my experience with it. If it is something I don't know anything about, it seems really cool, but if I know the subject well, then I often find AI is completely hallucinating.
  3. R

Speaker Cable Ad Fail

Reattached image
  4. R

Speaker Cable Ad Fail

This ad popped up in my browser today on Amazon. I mean...whuuut? I'm trying to imagine how this ad was even created. Clearly some work went into making this picture. I can't be "real", so some artist spent some time creating it. Someone surely reviewed it. Someone had to approve it and...
  5. R

Cheap Windows server setup

I generally keep a close on Ralphy's squeezelite-win updates. SLX ships with 1428. His 32-bit exe is on 1431 and his 64-bit is on 1432. Neither have any changes since 1428 that affect anything on Windows as far as I can tell and since he did not build a 32-bit version of 1432, I have put off...
  6. R

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Replying to an old post, I know. SLX not showing that ASIO driver may have been an inadvertent bug I recently fixed. You might try again with latest version. I got a 2-star review over that, the only non 5-star review in the last couple years and it bugs me, haha. —RGDawson
  7. R

Cheap Windows server setup

I just noticed this post where you mention, that the WDM-KS output works best for you. I’m the author of SLX, and I recently removed the WDM-KS outputs in the most recent version as choices because on every machine I tried them they give me super loud 100% output regardless of any volume...
  8. R

suggestion for an RPi music server+player

Squeezelite-X also embeds the squeezelite player so you can use that to play from PC. You can let it run in the background and minimize to the tray area. Squeezelite-X will automatically discover your LMS servers(s). Also, you can define custom menu links which are handy (for example, I have...
  9. R

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

You and I are in agreement.
  10. R

Indeed. But after reading all the controversy over Denon swapping out DACs in there 3700/4700/6700 AVRs, if you put a gun to my head I'd make the bet that the S760 has a worse SINAD by 5-10dB. I'm only guessing, however. Whatever the difference is, if any, I can't hear it.
  11. R

Blumlein 88, If I could like your post multiple times, I would. Thank you, it is exactly the type of response I was hoping for. Best take-aways for me: - "An old adage is 85% of HiFi is frequency response." - SINAD of 90dB is likely good enough - "...build a system from the speakers/or...
  12. R

Sometime over the summer I was strolling through COSTCO, and I see stack of Denon AVR-S760H’s, priced at $439. I have little need for another Denon AVR, but I could not resist, so I snapped one up. It sat unopened for a few months. Then as (bad) luck would have it, my Denon X4500 decided to...
  13. R

What electronic audio products you want tested most

+1, Craig has done an amazing job with his Material Skin plugin for LMS. I have been using the Logitech Squeezebox since the early days. I have 5 of the squeezebox receivers, plus Raspberry Pi as the server. Btw, I’m the author of a Windows 10 app called Squeezelite-X, available for free on the...
  14. R

Optimizing Center Channel Performance - Dispersion, Placement & Image

I spent quite a bit of effort once trying to get my center channel to sound identical to a phantom center. Then I realized that that is not possible, even if mounted at the same height. But when the center is mounted lower than the left and right, it is worse. But if you, like me, are force...
  15. R

Home streaming suggestions?

Ditto, on LMS on Pi4, Squeezebox Duets throughout the house, plus Squeezelite-X on PC's.
  16. R

What was your best (and worst) audio purchase for the dollar?

Best: Logitech Squeezebox Duets, these have been my whole house streaming devices for years Klipsch Cornwall IV’s, (I seriously love these) All my Denon AVR’s Squeezelite-X (free for everyone but me) A used stereo I bought that came with a BMW 550 attached Worst: some goofy thing that was...
  17. R

RF Interference in Speaker Cables??? (video)

Haha, I just laughed out loud when I read that, prompting the Mrs to ask, ”Who are you talking to?” Funniest post of the day award goes to you!
  18. R

RF Interference in Speaker Cables??? (video)

I’m a little late to this topic, but I recall seeing video where “Danny” gleefully “shows” the differences in speakers cables by connecting them to the antenna posts on a receiver and showing the difference in signal level Picked up by the wires. He even showed how touching the regular speaker...
  19. R

Cambridge Audio is (also) moving to Ncore...

This looks very interesting, thanks for posting. Fits my taste and needs nicely. Might be exactly what I am looking for. What is that piece of tape looking stuff, though? And what does that Ground Switch do?
  20. R

Best setup for Raspberry Pi with LMS and maybe Roon?

@ABall, thanks, you have opened my eyes to some new possibilities.
Top Bottom