Search results

1. D

Yamaha rx-596 vs Yamaha a-S801 subjective

I just figured get the one with the better DAC in case I use the internal one for an additional source. I bought a open box and got a decent discount so not really a big extra expense.
  2. D

Thanks for noticing the details! My friend custom made that cabinet for me out of walnut. I love it. Just the wood alone cost $700!
  3. D

Suddenly noticing sibilance

Oh man, you're cruel!
  4. D

My experimenting with the eq has led me to the higher end of the frequency range you suggested and that does seem to work. Thank you!
  5. D

I actually have used the pure direct function on both amps so the tone control on the amps is out of the loop. I use the WIIM eq which seems to work well. Thanks for feedback!
  6. D

I need some counseling! I'm pretty sure this is all in my head... Let me know what you think. My gear is a pair of Revel M106 stand mounts, WIIM pro, smsl-su1 dac, Yamaha a-s801. Small room, area rug. I listen mostly at low to moderate volumes. I recently swapped out my older Yamaha rx-596...
  7. D

Denon PMA-600NE Integrated Amplifier Review

Was the CD direct engaged at the time off the issue? I have found that using CD direct bypass a lot of the circuitry that causes problems.
  8. D

I just bought a Yamaha A-S801 and I can't say it's any better except for the digital inputs and the more functional remote. You can be confident you got a great amp. How's the input selector? Mine is buggy like many are from that era.
  9. D

Apollon NCx500ST Stereo Amplifier Review

Spot on! It's also why a $10 amp from goodwill sounds so amazing at first. Your expectations are very low going in.
  10. D

The sound seems to change, but it might just be a hair louder.
  11. D

Thanks for the reassurance! The useful tone and loudness controls are a real plus. I like the remote on the new one too. You can toggle the CD direct/pure direct from the easy chair. I was surprised they snuck that feature onto the remote.
  12. D

Update. I did a test running one amp with the left speaker and the other amp with the right speaker. I sent a mono signal. Volume matched with several test tracks. If there is any difference between sound of these amps it is extremely subtle. I am certain I would fail a blind test.
  13. D

This is a subjective impression between the Yamaha RX-596 and the much newer, Yamaha A-S801. I bought the new one due to the common input selector switch issue with the old one. I used the CD direct mode to circumvent the issue but it bugged me. So, out came the wallet. I use a WIIM pro with an...
  14. D

Purpose of variable input on some power amplifiers.

I was only trying to get feedback on the use of the variable input level function on some NAD amplifiers. I think that's a fair question as I've never owned one. Grab a coffee and enjoy the rest of the day!
  15. D

The minimum setting is -20db. I'm ot sure if that's enough reduction or not.
  16. D

My wording was poor. I meant to say I would set the attenuator to limit the maximum possible power reaching the speakers.
  17. D

I have a WIIM pro plus and was considering connecting it directly to an NAD C268 power amplifier. For safety reasons, I'd use the "variable input" on the back of the amplifier to set a "max" level in case the WIIM volume control goes haywire. Is this a viable solution? I know I can buy a preamp...
  18. D

DALI Oberon Vokal Center Speaker Review

I have the Oberon 1 bookshelves and they are a bit bright. I like the intelligibility of lyrics and vocals that comes along with that, but on some music it's a little much. Overall I like them. I also own the Revel M 106, which are NOT bright, but have a very nice sound across the whole...
  19. D

I'm feeling pretty good about my Yamaha RX-596 + SMSL SU-1 combo after reading this review.
  20. D

Revel M106 upgrade from Dali Oberon 1 - rookie subjective impressions

I don't have roon or anything. How would I do that? There is a basic eq in the wiim.
Top Bottom