Search results

1. zorak950

Kef to announce new products?

I'm really looking forward to seeing an LSX II. I love the sound of the original LSX, but those old Kef apps are just atrocious and they should really have Google Cast and Roon support.
  2. zorak950

KEF LS50 (V1) Vs KEF LSX For nearfield desktop use

I'm not talking about comparative FR: the KEFs have their own DAC and auto-EQ. I don't think there's much debate that the Genelecs win out in purity of sound, but that's because they're designed to give you that and only that: analog into the back and straight out of the front. The KEFs are a...
  3. zorak950

I've been confining my comments to the original question, but since it's come up twice now: I don't have any personal experience with Genelec, but if they're like other studio monitors I've heard they'll be especially unforgiving of low-res and badly mastered music files. Be sure that's what you...
  4. zorak950

I wouldn't say they're a better buy from an objective standpoint, but if you prefer them then I say go for it: you should get something you want to have.
  5. zorak950

How much better is the KEF LS50 Wireless 2 vs 1 (In terms of pure sound quality)

Assuming that the margin of improvement on the LS50W will correlate to the LSX is pure speculation, so I'd caution you there. Also, the LSX has the virtue of actually being available. With all the shortages that may not be true of an LSX2 for quite some time, even if it they do launch it this...
  6. zorak950

I love the LS50Ws, but I think you'll be happier with the LSX in a nearfield desktop setup; you'll have more space, they'll look nicer, and some people have even said they prefer the LSX sound in nearfield.
  7. zorak950

Arcam power amplifiers

The PA240, PA410, and PA720 from Arcam have all been out for well over a year and I was genuinely shocked at how little there is out there about them; there seems to be an almost complete lack of reviews or even impressions. I understand that Arcam is supposed to have a good brand reputation...
  8. zorak950

Purifi Amplifier and Preamp / Dac / Streamer recommendations

The Studio is all digital- no analog in or out and no DAC, just DEQ/Dirac tools. Good option if you've already got a DAC/preamp you're happy with, otherwise I'd say the SHD is a better value unless you're determined to have separate components.
  9. zorak950

new KEF KC62 dual 6.5" subwoofer

Depends how you define "value." The KC62 performs very well when it's used in an appropriate context and it's hot as heck. Kef's going to make a lot of money on them, and in my opinion they've earned every penny. ASR is about the numbers, and that's awesome, but we shouldn't get judgey of those...
  10. zorak950

new KEF KC62 dual 6.5" subwoofer

If you're willing to pay KC62 money, I'd consider the Rythmik G22. It's the same dual opposed design but superior in almost every way from a sound perspective, though unfortunately it's only available in black. The Rythmik F12 is the single-driver version and it comes in white; could be a nice...
  11. zorak950

Minidsp advice needed.....

You've already played around with the room position of the sub, yes? That would be the thing to do before anything else.
  12. zorak950

Best SUB for KEF ls50 wireless II

The latency is unlikely to be a bother in either case; I'd focus on sound quality. Bear in mind that the Rythmik does have a single analog PEQ, so with a bit of playing around you can correct at least one room mode without any extra hardware. The SVS has a tri-band PEQ; together with good room...
  13. zorak950

Regarding latency, a couple things to think about. First, a DSP will introduce latency no matter where it is in the setup, which means it will create a signal delay differential unless it's controlling all the speakers in your array. Some preamps will let you compensate for this manually, but I...
  14. zorak950

I don't have access to the app, but from what documentation I can find it doesn't look like there's any comprehensive bass management controls. In-line DSP will almost certainly give you more there, but it will also add a little latency. I'd say start without it. The experts on these matters...
  15. zorak950

Well, if you want to get technical the actual "crossover" point depends on a few things, but the high pass value is what determines how low your speakers will (or, more to the point, won't) play, which if you have high distortion in those lower regions that you can't cut out would be an...
  16. zorak950

I know I'm late to the party, but be careful about conflating the characteristics of the passive and active LS50. The DSP in the wireless versions increases extension and decreases distortion significantly compared to the information referenced earlier. There's also a hard limit on how high they...
  17. zorak950

KEF LS50W Original (Good deal or too good to be true?)

I feel like I'm missing something with this one year warranty business. The policy on KEF's website shows five years for drivers and accessories, two years for electronics. Granted there are a pretty long list of exclusions, but nothing too out of the ordinary. https://us.kef.com/warranty-info
Top Bottom