Search results

1. 111db

Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

Since you find H4s to have adequate bass, I can't help wondering what type of music you prefer. Knowing that could make it easier to make good recommendations.
  2. 111db

Older Klipsch Heritage are affordable and can be greatly improved by active DSP multiamping. Gotta wonder how they might sound with SET-based multiamping, and whether anyone's tried that.
  3. 111db

The sealed box is one of the things I like about my Heresy IIs (actually KP201s). It permits bumping the low bass with less risk of woofer overexcursion (which I only do when using them outdoors, otherwise I use a sub). I think Klipsch made a mistake in adding a port but failing to extend the...
  4. 111db

Tinnitus

From Music Engineering second edition by Richard Brice: We can hear, without damage, a ratio of sound intensities of about 1:1000 000 000 000. The quietest whisper we can hear is a billionth of the intensity of the sound of a jet aircraft taking off heard at close range. In engineering terms you...
  5. 111db

Tinnitus

I trace my tinnitus (mostly right ear, dog whistle variety) to an event in my young adulthood when I was up on an extension ladder trying to aim a PA speaker and my partner walked in and obliviously pushed up the fader on an open mic. Feedback nearly blasted me off the ladder. Ringing and...
  6. 111db

Focal or Klipsch?

Maybe this video highlights an option worth considering: Get the Cornwalls or similar large highly dynamic speakers of reasonably hifi quality, and use some of the saved funds to actively multiamp them with DSP to provide an opportunity to tweak them to your preference. One thing about DSP that...
  7. 111db

Lens corrections equivalent to audio corrections when possible

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." An important concept for design engineers! Especially those with marketers breathing down their necks.
  8. 111db

In the same vein, Earl Geddes' speakers are probably worth a serious look, as his work launched the Econowave movement. It appears he is out of production but looking for someone to start it back up. I would think he would be very interested in the Klippel stuff given his impressive BG in...
  9. 111db

"...and I just so happen to have right over here..."
  10. 111db

Well, you went large. About the same time I was making cigar box extension speakers. Clumsy and grossly underinformed, but they still sounded better than the stuff in the tabletop radio!
  11. 111db

In a just world, Klipsch would do so, since you appear to be 2/3 of their testing lab and working for peanuts!
  12. 111db

The only thing wrong with 4 inch Genelecs is they don't include a headband.
  13. 111db

Well I have owned and erstwhile loved Forte 1s since y2k. Many a friend has listened to them and immediately gone shopping. For most men on the street they are well above their previous in-home experience and bring a lot to the table. Mine are also near mint and will fetch a higher price than...
  14. 111db

That is the same basic approach I opportunistically stumbled into via take-a-chance Craigslist uber-bargain pro components and an unwillingness to master passive crossover design and construction (my air core coil hand-winding days are long past), and though most of my tweaking is by ear and...
  15. 111db

Any recommendations on diy speaker build kits?

I was going to make a similar suggestion, but now I don't have to! :) So instead I will enthusiastically second the motion. I've been DIYing speakers for decades, but have never had the fun nor the deeply satisfying success I've obtained recently from buying Craigslist uber-bargains, mixing and...
  16. 111db

Snowy Range Scenic Byway -- highly recommended

LOL! At my degree of hearing loss (age and youthful/occupational abuse), its my threshold of hearing! :eek: That's an exaggeration, but... :rolleyes: Actually, my theory is that every recording is best listened to at approximately the level at which it was mastered, and that sweet spot is pretty...
  17. 111db

The Vinyl Frontier

True, and an inspired quip!
  18. 111db

Hey, a fellow deer-oppressed Coloradan! (A herd of ten frequents my yard---when I let them.) I've been hoping to scour up some relative locals for a potential meet-up when the all-clear is sounded (or we stop caring). Is there any local audio group down your way? And do you happen to be a...
  19. 111db

The Vinyl Frontier

Back in the day I did travel---and backpack---with a field camera of sorts... a "Baby" Century Graphic stripped down for "portability". Got some very high resolution shots with Linhof and Rodenstock glass on the front standard, but my minimum kit weighed 15lb! The best thing it did for me was...
  20. 111db

EXIF data has been stripped... no matter. Thanks for trying. A little Sherman Mountains "intimate landscape" action, from the Blair Recreation Area just a few miles off I80:
Top Bottom