Search results

1. A

Sony SS-CS5 3-way Speaker Review

Thanks. Is there a digital parametric EQ I can use on a PC that you know of?
  2. A

Full range floorstanders ~$1500 budget

I recommend the NHT C4 towers. I bought 3 for my family room home theater/music system, and I liked them so much I bought a second pair for my basement music-only system. These are my endgame speakers for now. Stay away from the JBL 590s unless you plan to use some sort of automatic EQ like...
  3. A

Sony SS-CS5 3-way Speaker Review

I just bought a pair from Amazon for $88 to see what the hype was all about, and I don’t see how they can be called bright at all. They are very warm (not a good thing), even dark, just like how the downward right tilt in the frequency response graph indicates. They have no air, no sizzle. I’m...
  4. A

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

I seriously doubt that anyone can actually hear a difference between any of these receivers. I have a X3600H, two X3300Ws, an SR6011 and two SR7011s. They're all the same to me. I challenge anyone to hear a difference in a blind listening test.
  5. A

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

Anyone happen to have owned or hear the JBL PT800/PS1400 speakers? Here's their graph, so I was curious what I might hear differently compared to the F208s and how much of an upgrade these might be. Fun fact or so I hear, the midrange driver is the same as the one used in the Revel Ultima Salon...
  6. A

Subwoofer Comparison

I've found the article in the link below enlightening. The sections toward the bottom might relate to some of what we're discussing. I don't think even a 21" driver would have any issue playing 155Hz at any volume but of course this depends on the driver but 155Hz is still relatively low for any...
  7. A

Subwoofer Comparison

I feel like I can still tell that a sub is in the corner even if it's crossed over at 80Hz or slightly lower. When I added another sub to the other corner, it felt like I could tell that side was louder for a while. Then later it felt normal again. I think our brains allow us to get used to the...
  8. A

Subwoofer Comparison

Yes, you are right. I am talking about so many things. I need to make sense of my thoughts and present them more concisely. I completely agree with what you're saying. I've thought about placing my 4 subs throughout the room for best sound quality but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I...
  9. A

Subwoofer Comparison

I'm still trying to understand what you're saying about the smaller sub. In what way would the larger sub be inferior at this lower SPL? Are you saying the larger sub wouldn't have a flat frequency response at lower volume levels? If so, where have you seen this happen? Are you referring to the...
  10. A

Subwoofer Comparison

Yes, I understand that but though it may not be flat, it could be even, without any crazy peaks or dips. The image below shows the in-room response of one of my PB16s with no outside DSP and no help from the parametric EQ. I crossover at 80Hz, sometimes lower, and for me, that response is...
  11. A

Subwoofer Comparison

That’s not frequency response though. He’s basing those numbers off of the sub’s maximum output. The actual frequency response of the sub at “normal” levels is significantly flatter. In this day and age with built-in dsp, there’s little excuse for a sub not to have a flat response.
  12. A

Subwoofer Comparison

I'm tired of hearing people claim that most music doesn't go lower than 30Hz. Sure, maybe the music you listen to doesn't but that may not be true for others. A lot of pop music today dips far below 30Hz. When I set out to chose which subwoofer model to acquire, I told myself that the lowest...
  13. A

Subwoofer Comparison

I don't see how a smaller driver could possibly have any advantage over a larger driver other than physical size (in general - for example, comparing an SVS PB1000 with a PB2000 as opposed to comparing a really good small subwoofer with a cheap larger subwoofer). Larger drivers are more...
  14. A

How's CEA-2006? In Aiwa's defense, at least they did specify the THD at which the power was measured, however that's far from a PMPO rating. A PMPO rating is what you'd find on 5W computer speakers claiming 500 watts PMPO, a completely useless rating. But yes, I do agree that there should be...
  15. A

I wouldn't say they're misleading anywhere near to that degree. In the grand scheme of things, a person would not be able to hear a difference between an amp rated at 0.1% at 20-20k vs one at 1% at 1k. What is that, like a ~1 dB difference in power? The important thing is that they stated the...
  16. A

Curious what you ended up doing. Did you find an amp that solved your problem?
  17. A

JBL Studio 530 Speaker Review

I've been using a pair of 530s for several months nearfield on my computer desk along with two subs. With the magic of Audyssey XT32 (Denon X3600H), they sound awesome! I even disabled the subs to see how they'd do with bass, and to my surprise, they sounded clean to the low 30s. I even turned...
  18. A

NHT SB2 Speaker Review

In case people are stumbling on this researching these speakers, I just wanted to say that the NHT SB2s sound very pleasing. I have 3 pairs of them, and I listen to them daily. It's easy to see why they won in the shootout because if you actually listen to them, you will see why people prefer...
  19. A

Marantz SR7015 8K AVR Review

People are getting bent out of shape over differences they cannot perceive. These measured variances are imperceptible.
Top Bottom