Search results

1. G

Amir's 2023 Pacific Audio Fest Report

Actually, beyond sound quality, these high-end reels serve a practical purpose beyond cosmetics and bending/warping. They are dynamically balanced so that when you are winding them (most tapes are stored tails-out), they don't wear out bearings unnecessarily by vibrating like an out-of-balance...
  2. G

VPI (turntables) Visits Pacific Northwest Audiophile Society

Not that I want the restaurant to get more crowded....... but here's the place I introduced Amir to. https://www.yelp.com/biz/tamarind-tree-seattle
  3. G

VPI (turntables) Visits Pacific Northwest Audiophile Society

Many thanks, Amir for putting this together. In my introductory remarks, I said that this was a "fashion show" and not a direct A/B/C comparison. I also wanted people to listen to the music, and not just the sound of the 3 systems. The cartridge on the Vanquish has a 0.12mV output, whereas the...
  4. G

春节 (Chinese New Year) 2017

The link by RayDunzl has some suggestions for "lucky" food..... but it could run the gamut. Some add abalone as that "guarantees prosperity", or adding shrimp (with the head and tails on) makes to laughter and happiness. Our family throws everything into a pot for "phun choy" as the dish of the...
  5. G

春节 (Chinese New Year) 2017

Wishing all forum members (and lurkers - mustn't forget the lurkers) a very Healthy, Happy and Successful Year of the Rooster. May your discourse be courteous, objective and fiery.
  6. G

A Visit with Bob Carver and His Amazing Line Source Speakers

Amir, you were being a reporter. Bob said milliseconds and you reported it as such. During a lot of the meeting, I was sitting on the couch biting my tongue. Bob's a very. very interesting speaker and a great salesman. There was a particular moment when a crescendo on the piano made the drivers...
  7. G

Meeting Bob Carver Tomorrow!

Member Joe Pittman did a video of the entire meeting.....
  8. G

Meeting Bob Carver Tomorrow!

That was the original "Amazing" Loudspeaker from the 1980's and 1990's. This is his new "Amazing" loudspeaker: http://www.bobcarvercorp.com/als
  9. G

CES 2017: Genesis Technologies, SMC Audio, Transfiguration, Viva Audio

Listening to Billie Jean off the LP sound like we are voyeurs watching the couple at foreplay :) This is the actual performance that was captured - but I have to say that while the fidelity off YouTube is pretty good, listening to the digital without the visual loses the sensuality....... why...
  10. G

The actual album I played for Amir. I understand that the Decca is the release to get, but I had to settle for the London pressing.
  11. G

Wow! Thanks, Amir. Watching Joy Williams perform this makes it all the more sensuous. Unfortunately, despite all my efforts, I have not been able to find a good digital recording from the Civil Wars that convey the energy and emotion that I know that they are so able to put across to their...
  12. G

It's not - Patent# US4105212 - filed in 1978. The PA is the latest iteration of the Ogura fine line diamond profile.
  13. G

Here's a picture that Amir wasn't able to take - the diamond cantilever on the Transfiguration Proteus D. Note - the stylus isn't held on to the cantilever using a blob of glue. This translates to the closest connection between the grooves of the album and the loudspeakers that I've ever heard...
  14. G

The Viva Auroras certainly made the room warm and welcoming!
  15. G

The speakers are dipole above about 120Hz and bipole below that.
  16. G

CES 2017: High-End Audio General Notes

Ha! You should have come by at closing time as usual and we'd have gone out for a great meal. I hope that tonight's "Carnivore's Feast" will make up for your sacrifices last night.
Top Bottom