Search results

1. CausticStorm

Darlington Labs MM-5 Review (Phono Stage)

Pretty much what I was talking about earlier, but you went into more detail :) I ran my diy phono stage and headphone amp the same way, simple and effective . Cheers!
  2. CausticStorm

Send the MM-6 to Amir for testing :)
  3. CausticStorm

Thank you, I was mainly asking this to understand if the noise reported above is perhaps from the PSU filtering, exactly as you covered in your reply. If I don't hear any AC noise with headphones on when nothing is playing I'll leave it alone :) Cheers and thanks for your reply!
  4. CausticStorm

I know that, but guess what, you can supply regulated DC into AC bridge rectifier and nothing blows up...it simply does what its supposed to do. AC side of the bridge rectifier can take DC in, without any harm. The key thing is make sure you supply the correct voltage. As a side not - many...
  5. CausticStorm

Thanks for your input, but I'll wait for Keith to respond. I am not asking about upgrading a simple power cube, I am talking about specifically replacing it with something that has LOWER ripple. This has worked for me with another amp, and if you've built amps before (especially high current...
  6. CausticStorm

Thanks Amir! Can't wait to put it to use next :) I do have an external linear / regulated power supply I've built for another phono stage I've used before with C-R-C filtering to reduce the AC/hum noise. Maybe that will be of use hmm. Hi Keith- any thoughts on reducing the hum noise, would I...
  7. CausticStorm

Request to review Vista Audio and Darlington Labs phono preamps

Ordered - waiting for Amir on ship to address, Keith @ Darlington Labs will have it shipped to Amir pending he is interested in testing it :) Done - chatted with Amir - its going direct to Amir . Perhaps someone else can order MM-6 next :)
  8. CausticStorm

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Update - Sony Mdr 7506 - retired after almost 20 years. Philips Fidelio X2HR - gone / felt too heavy/uncomfortable. Senn HD599 - didn't particularly like their sound and built quality Akg k92 - for work/office use Philips SHPS9600 - general purpose open back Beyerdynamic dt770pro 250 ohm...
  9. CausticStorm

Request to review Vista Audio and Darlington Labs phono preamps

I am ordering MM-5 in the next day and if there is interest I can have it shipped directly to Amir
  10. CausticStorm

Beyerdyamic DT 770 Pro Headphones

I bought 80 and 250 ohm versions, after multiple (over the course of a few days to make sure my ears were "fresh") back to back listening sessions I liked the 250 ohm version over 80 ohm. The bass on 250 ohm seemed to be more "controlled" vs. 80 ohm. But, that's just my subjective opinion ;)
  11. CausticStorm

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Got rid of the X2HR, kept the 9600 series because X2HR was just too heavy. Picked up Beyerdynamic dt770pro 250 ohm and really like them so far.
  12. CausticStorm

Any Volumio users out there?

I built the pi3 with a dac hat as I didn't want to use headphone output into my pre-amp. I've since by-passed the external dac, and have the output from pi3 going to my pre-amp instead. I was seeing how pi3 would perform with optical out vs. rca out. I have not tried it with usb out, and my...
  13. CausticStorm

We measure audio equipment for free!!!

Wasn't suggesting that, as you know these dac boards are easily swapped but I am not sure about your specific implementation or Roon. I use mine with Pi+Volumio . If the HAT on yours comes off and there is no reconfiguration involved in the software, then that keeps things more simple. If it...
  14. CausticStorm

Cool, how easy would it be to swap your dac head with hifiberry dac+ pro? That's the one I have and can mail this weekend as well. This way the same everything is used, and just the head(s) are swapped? https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/data-sheets/datasheet-dac-pro/
  15. CausticStorm

I have two different versions, one is the coax hifiberry head that I use with an external DAC, and another hifiberry head with RCA out. Are you sending just the head or complete with Pi running a player? Just curious if he is equipped to test these as they aren't exactly stand-alone? I can...
  16. CausticStorm

This one is interesting, I have their non HD with coax out have been using since last year. I can send that one in to compare :)
  17. CausticStorm

HD 6XX vs. Fidelio X2HR

I would look at the 9600 series instead, the X2HR are more of a "V" sound headphones , very good on bass..but sometimes I prefer to take them off my head and listen with 9600 instead. They are both in the same price-range, comfortable, detachable cable, but they don't sound alike. Ymmv.
  18. CausticStorm

Sony MDR-7506 Review (Headphone)

I think I got my first mdr-7506 back in 98-2000, and I am on my second pair since, and even once ordered a replacement driver directly from Sony to repair them. They are true workhorse headphones though. I used to wear them for hours on end, playing online multiplayer (Quake) and lots of techno/...
Top Bottom