Search results

1. P

MMM approach and a new calibration app (magic beans)

Hi Joe. OK as requested. NF MMMs for Left Centre and Right speakers:- I might have another go with the right speaker. It is the one with the most close reflective surfaces so could just be that. I found REW's A/B 'regularisation' feature useful for ignoring any nulls in the original...
  2. P

I need to find time to explore this more. My current thoughts:- My speakers are DIY 4 way active crossover so pretty much flat on-axis, gated. NF mmm in situ is not flat. In the bass NF picks up room modes that are common to MLP, so the MB approach does a good job filtering them out. The...
  3. P

Dirac On, NF mmm is in the final chart. Measured MB corrected NF mmm will have to wait a couple of days until I get a chance to load the target into DL and send the filters into the AVR. That will require a bit of file manipulation I think. In theory it should be flat. Same goes for...
  4. P

I find this thread fascinating. Here are some measurements taken in my lounge comparing the Magic Beans (MB) to Dirac Live (DL) measurements, targets and filters. It is remarkable how close today's MLP MMM is to an old SPECTRUM measurement by DL (imported into REW via VituixCad SPL trace...
  5. P

Crossfeed for headphones

Good to know. I hadn't realised that before trying to reinvent the wheel. Still, it was fun and surprisingly simple to do in EqualizerAPO. Works well for me.
  6. P

Crossfeed for headphones

If anyone is still watching this thread, I thought I would share a crossfeed method that works for me. The idea was to only apply crossfeed to the Side part of a Mid/Side signal but leave the Mid unchanged. I would be interested to know which other filters work that way. A hard panned sound (...
  7. P

Any opinions regarding protest Mercedes 2021 F1 championship

I have some sympathy for Merc. In a race they were comfortably winning they were forced to gamble it all on whether the race would restart. For RB it was a no brainer to do the opposite of Merc. So Merc bet there isn't time to restart only for Michael Massi to take an 'unorthodox' decision to...
  8. P

Noise and the enjoyment of music

I stumbled across this when googling the audibility of noise: https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247(19)31363-4#relatedArticles perhaps a little background white noise is no bad thing?! Tonal noise like ground hum is obviously a different matter.
  9. P

Harman preference curve for headphones - am I the only one that doesn't like this curve?

Maybe I am overcomplicating this! There is something appealing about having 'flat' or accurate at some part of the process. For speakers it has been shown that it is flat anechoic on axis/ listening window that should be the target. A downward sloping room curve is the consequence of that...
  10. P

Harman preference curve for headphones - am I the only one that doesn't like this curve?

@Sean Olive, would you care to speculate as to why the preferred headphone curve equates to the Harman speaker room curve? I thought that the preferred room curve was related to the inverse of the speaker's directivity. In effect there should be a different preferred room curve for speakers with...
  11. P

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

Fair enough. I guess it is a bit off topic. Just wanted to share a way of enabling those Android EQ apps you listed with Chromecast. Maybe a bit of a niche use case but I had found it frustrating not to be able to do that.
  12. P

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

Chromecast ( sort of ) Run CastReceiver app on an Android tablet or phone and use in place of a real Chromecast. Now cast to that device as you would normally whilst also using one of the Android eq apps already mentioned. Connect a dac over USB and you have a low cost streamer with EQ.
Top Bottom