Search results

1. E

Coaxial Nearfield: Genelec vs Kef vs Kali

They are all very good speakers. I would recommend a sub and don't set crossover as low as it can. That defeats the purpose of the subwoofer. Having the bass come from one area gives a consistent bass response and placement is very important for bass reproduction in small home sized rooms. So...
  2. E

New Kali Audio monitor

There are two different Phoenix connectors on the back of the speaker. One is for bi-amping and has six connections. Two of them are unused and and the other four connections are for high frequency +/- and low frequency +/-. There is another separate connector if you want to use the built-in...
  3. E

Sonos Five Smart Speaker Review

I tried the IN-UNF as a lifestyle system for fun and it might work in the right set up. Mine was placed next to a short throw projector and it didn't work well compared to other speakers I have tried there. It might be better if the short throw projector wasn't 6 inches from it. I didn't try it...
  4. E

Kali IN-8 v2 vs Focal Alpha 65 EVO for mid field? Any other options?

You can but it is a different sound signature. The Lea amp you load the DSP settings from their website into it. You can put those DSP settings into a different device like a mini-dsp to get the same sound. I would set any processor's or receiver's max volume to protect the speakers. They don't...
  5. E

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

I always found this test interesting and shows that sometimes we get lost in the numbers. There are few who have tried this test and have been able to pick the best quality version on every track. Although, a lot have been able to not pick the lowest quality version. Between a lossless version...
  6. E

Best Very-Nearfield monitor for bedroom mixing

I'm glad it worked out for you. They are very nice speakers for the price. I ended up using these on my desk instead of the IN-UNF. It was more of a practical matter and freed up some space on the desk. I may eventually add the WS-6.2 sub. I have one in the other room with Kef LSX II and it is...
  7. E

How a subwoofer affects soundstage?

Two or more subs is really about getting a more consistent response at each seat. If you only care about one seat or maybe two if they are close enough and fall in the similar acoustic locations. To get a correct bass response EQ will almost always be needed whether you want one listening...
  8. E

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

For measuring speakers using something like REW they do have to be done further away if the speaker is larger. That way you are getting the combination of all the drivers. Usually the data is then calculated for one meter for things like sensitivity. For smaller bookshelf size speakers they can...
  9. E

How a subwoofer affects soundstage?

Bass in home sized room is combined, so you don't hear in stereo for bass. So even with 2 subs you don't separately hear the left and right sub unless placed next to your ears. The single sub is not a problem. One of the reasons to combine all the bass and send it to the subwoofer is so that...
  10. E

Genelec 8010A Powered Studio Monitor Review

Kali for midrange, 8010 maybe a little better on the highs. 8010 has a wider soundstage. Obviously, Kali for micro-dynamics. Without a sub definitely Kali with a sub I would still go Kali but much closer at moderate volume.
  11. E

JBL 308P MKII Studio Monitor Review

By changing the crossover you probably solved some room mode problems or a boundary issue. Crossovers should be set by room acoustics and not speaker capability unless the speaker is not capable, like a small speaker which would require a higher crossover. Your results are not surprising.
  12. E

Is this the definition for far field for the Klippel system? In the Pro world we usually consider less than 2 meters near field, 2 to 4 meters midfield and over 4 meters farfield.
  13. E

In the near field it will have a more flat response, and that is fine. A lot of this comes from the research that was done on listener preferences. In the past, people would boost the frequencies so that they would have a flat frequency response at the listening position. Similar to what it...
  14. E

List of Powered Speakers with HDMI input?

I have a Flex HT and a great device for DSP but not for integration with control systems. No discrete codes for IR. No IP control. MiniDSP is not the only brand with these limitations, Topping, SMSL, etc. At least the flex HT has HDMI ARC and if that is all someone is using it may work. I wish...
  15. E

Passive I think it's easy to find products. You can always use an inexpensive receiver that has HDMI ARC. Or a Sonos amp, Bluesound amp, WiiM am, etc. This one is pretty inexpensive but it seems to have limitations like 6 GB for data rate. So it won't do a full 4K with HDR. It can probably do...
  16. E

LS50 Meta vs Genelec 8330

I call it more dynamic, more impactful. Like when a drum hits loudly, sax takes the lead, a harder played piano note, etc. The Kef just seems dull, like everything is compressed. It has a nice tone to it but just not exciting. I also feel that way about the LSX II which I own but they tick a...
  17. E

LS50 Meta vs Genelec 8330

We carry both Genelec and Kef where I work. And I've heard both of these models may times. We don't have a showroom, so we're not a retail shop and I don't always have the opportunity to listen to models side by side. I often get to take them home to test, and I do measurements on them as well...
  18. E

Sonos Era

We install a lot of Sonos where I work as well as many other types of speakers both on the pro/commercial world as well as residential. This is my opinion on Sonos. For most people I think it's the best house system that's out there with a few exceptions of people that have specific needs. I...
  19. E

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

You can connect it to the headphone jack. You them rely on the PC's DAC.
  20. E

The disadvantage of the headphone out is you are using the DACs in the TV which may be of lower quality. But, even some inexpensive DACs do a decent job especially for this application. The advantage is there are many more options to get good sounding active speakers or monitors. There is also...
Top Bottom