Search results

1. Mariner9

DD 8C speakers for sale

Hi all, correction. They were bought March 2021. They are the black speakers. I have all the original boxes. Looking at offers above 13500 CAD for speakers and stands and above 2200 CAD for rest. they were always used with gloves and were covered with silk sheets. The stands have special...
  2. Mariner9

DD 8C speakers for sale

They were bought this year. Selling as my spouse passed away. I will check the Canadian receipts tomorrow and come back to you with a total. I am closer to Alberta then BC but could drive part way if needed. Ca. 8 hours from Vancouver. All items have original packaging.
  3. Mariner9

DD 8C speakers for sale

Audio/hifi equipment (approximate cost new in brackets): Dutch & Dutch 8C active speakers, studio edition (~USD 9000) and Dutch & Dutch 8C active speaker stands (~USD 1250), Mutec MC-1.2 AES/UBS converter (~USD 500), Topping D90 DAC (~USD 700), Geshelli Arcel 2.5 headphone amp (~USD 180)...
  4. Mariner9

Artists You Have Discovered Lately

For fans of ambient or dub techno: Saphileaum Most of his work seems to be available on Bandcamp; follow the links to the labels from the Discogs page linked to above. He might have the best pads since Boymerang.
  5. Mariner9

Did You Actually Buy a New Disc Recently?

"just curious what (if anything) folks here might have actually physically (no downloads either) purchased at retail" I will buy CDs if that's the only way to get a digital copy or if it's notably cheaper than the download. Recent purchases include: "Secret Agent" album by Tony Allen "Trouble...
  6. Mariner9

Anyone Else Buying New Vinyl?

Only if the track isn’t available as a download or on CD. Last purchase was the Joaquin Claussell and Brian Bacchus remix of Angela Johnson (still available on Bandcamp).
  7. Mariner9

When did you decide to study STEM major in university? Tips for my daughter?

If she does decide to do an undergrad in STEM, I recommend learning how to code, at least in something like Python or R (probably the former) but perhaps also in a high level language (e.g. C#, Java, C++). My experience of STEM education (stats, in my case) was, to my surprise, that there was...
  8. Mariner9

When did you decide to study STEM major in university? Tips for my daughter?

@Pdxwayne - if your daughter eventually decides she wants to work in a STEM field but hasn't done a STEM undergrad, it would likely still be possible for her to do a conversion course then a STEM Masters.
  9. Mariner9

Review of DJ equipment?

Some of the rotatory mixers, perhaps. E.g. the Allen & Heath Xone V6 (now discontinued). Or the Bozak AR6 (essentially a re-make of the famous 1970s unit). There are also a couple of small start-ups making rotary mixers which are supposed to have more emphasis on sound quality, e.g. E&S Audio.
  10. Mariner9

Practical use of Dutch and Dutch 8c

Hi @HooStat, there is a thread on ASR about USB to AES conversion, which is relevant for the 8C: USB to AES/EBU: the solution? I use a Mutec MC1-2. Now discontinued but they can be found second-hand for a few hundred (US) dollars.
  11. Mariner9

Audiophile Music Must Haves?

Perhaps music that was recorded for major labels (e.g. Photek's Modus Operandi album, on Virgin) with plenty of budget for recording and mastering.
  12. Mariner9

Music is dead.

"I can't help but feel that older music is just is so much better than all the new stuff being released today in all music genres " *all* genres?! My 2c is it's very dependent on the genre due to 1) entry/exit of producers and 2) the direction the music has taken.
  13. Mariner9

Audio Coffee, photography , other hobbies and the Audiophile mindset

Scotland? And are you affiliated with the label Soma?
  14. Mariner9

Audio Coffee, photography , other hobbies and the Audiophile mindset

FWIW: current setup involves a Eureka grinder, Bialetti stovetop espresso maker and Breville milk frother. The grinder is expensive but the other two are not. Beans are from a local roaster, milk is from a local dairy. To my surprise, I've found the result preferable to almost every coffee shop...
  15. Mariner9

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

Just relaying what I was told by the exporter, who said that the additional charges (25%, not 20%; I checked the email) were due to Brexit. I don't dispute that the exporter might be trying their luck - they would not be the first company I've encountered that simply made up taxes and tried to...
  16. Mariner9

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

This might be Brexit-related? I was told by a German exporter that, as of this year, they have to charge 20% on exports to the UK - in addition to the VAT. There's a reason it is (or was) called "rip-off Britain".
  17. Mariner9

List of Canadian Speaker,Headphone,Subwoofer Resellers/Dealers

To add to the list of dealers: Soundshapers (https://www.soundshapers.ca/). I believe they are one of only two dealers for Dutch & Dutch in Canada (the other being on the east coast).
  18. Mariner9

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

"Why do records sound so much better than digital?" There have been some digital re-releases of vinyl-only tracks that were simply rips of the vinyl (e.g. this) due to lost DATs. If vinyl really does sound better than digital, seems like an easy test.
  19. Mariner9

Cardioid Loudspeakers - Are they worth it?

How do you make a fair comparison? I presume that would have to be based on getting similar measurements rather than simply buying the same kit (A/D, DAC, amps, etc.) in each active speaker. If so, what combination of separates would be comparable to, say, the Kiis or D&Ds?
  20. Mariner9

Kind of rant regarding what speakers to buy, environmentalism etc.

@rubenkemp - I thought this book had some interesting suggestions for minimising your environmental impact. Or you could read this article.
Top Bottom