Search results

1. D

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

personally, I saw a slight improvement from rca -> xlr on m200/sp200. But it is hard to volume match, so hard to be sure.
  2. D

first headphone dac/amp recommendation

In the past 3 weeks I have learned an incredible amount. 3 headphones (sundara, quad era-1, ath-r70x) and 3 “stacks” (dx3 pro, smsl sp200/m200 and sonata hd pro) as well as macbook jack. the advice here is spot on. All of these amps sound good at casual listening volumes. I do believe the 4...
  3. D

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

I have the sp200/m200 stack and it occasionally just stops playing for anywhere from 2 to 30 seconds. Then continues. As far as I can tell it's not the source (I am using a USB dock, but nothing else connected to that is showing problems). And a dx3 pro does not exhibit the same issues. Anyone...
  4. D

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

You are so lucky. I actually found the adapter! Just to be specific, it is apple's usb3. It is here...
  5. D

I have the dx3 pro and an iphone + adapter. If I can find them all I will try and report back.
  6. D

And I think it's a guide. I am using 20ohm headphones with a dx3 pro and I don't think I am having any of the issues. But the headphones are planar (flat frequency response) and the other problem is adding bass and if it's doing that it's helping not hurting. So I would go dx3 pro. just make...
  7. D

10ohm output impedance seems to only matter if you have low ohm headphones. The rule is supposedly 8 to 1. So 80ohms+ is "safe". I am running a 20ohm set on mine and I think it explains some things I am hearing. Hence I am sending my dx3 pro back. (or using it as a dac). It's otherwise awesome...
  8. D

DX3 is worth it over the e30/l30 stack *if* you don't care about the current models 10 ohm output resistance. I actually like the thing a lot, but so far my favorite headphones are all low ohm planars, so it was the wrong choice for me. The stack would have been better. Thinking about keeping it...
  9. D

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Yeah, it's the combination of db/mW and dB/V that really makes it make more sense. I assume the ones that have low ohm and reasonable sensitivity (like 95dB) but are still hard to drive probably have a low dB/V ratio. Does having both of these inform on the amp requirements? That said, the dx3...
  10. D

Yep! I am going to wait until I try the other two headphones that are coming in on my DX3 Pro. Then decide where I want to go. Currently I am getting this feeling that people put too much emphasis on the amp. I do wish that there were better tests for the power required for a given headphone...
  11. D

Right, exactly. If I am ready to say "screw cost", I'd just buy the d90/a90 stack and call it a day. As of now, I have zero interest in balanced if I don't need it for power. (If I do, then it's a whole different game) Either way I will return the dx3 pro most likely because of the output...
  12. D

No balanced for now. Not sure that's an issue on the drop version though. the other one doesn't do well for single ended. L30 is a good short term solution with the dx3 pro.
  13. D

ath-r70x, quad era-1 (which reviewers have stated "good" amp, but it's not clear dx3 pro doesn't qualify) Both of those arrive this week. But other hard to drive planars are on the "might go here next" list. One problem, is this version of dx3 pro has the 10 ohm output impedance. which could...
  14. D

In which case, I am fine with it. But, are we sure it can drive any headphone on the market? I mean, I picked the dx3 pro because it would drive anything I am "likely" to have and it's already in question now that I plugged sundara's into it. (Side note, I actually don't think the amp upgrade...
  15. D

Yeah, the atom or the l30. Can't get the atom easily on amazon though.
  16. D

New DAC comparison chart (we'd love your feedback)

Is the tool offline currently? Been using it for days to select a new amp/dac. Also, my suggestions: Filtering by power at the typical tested ohm levels would be excellent. (33 and 300ohm) Filtering by output impedance would also be useful. The IEM low volt test filter would also be good for...
  17. D

It's out because I am not using balanced yet where it performs well. Others perform better single ended as far as I can tell.
  18. D

Yep. The price difference isn't enough to matter to me (at least not at amazon prices currently). But, if all I am going to end up doing in a month is buying an a90 because headphone y needs it, I'd rather just do that now. Even if it means keeping the dx3 pro as dac. Just trying to make sure...
  19. D

Thanks. I am purchasing new due to return policies. I just realized the dx3 pro I have is 10 ohm output resistance. Not the measured 1 ohm from v1. So it is going back since I primarily drive low ohm headphones so far. I actually might keep it as the DAC. Depending on what replaces it for amp.
  20. D

Going to go look at the pages for them. I am a big fan of buying once. dx3 pro was supposed to be that once, but it's looking like I may need something bigger. Some planars I am looking at supposedly work on the dx3 pro but really shine with more power.
Top Bottom